A Sinker Light Project NOW Legal again!!!

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

citroenxm

A Sinker Light Project NOW Legal again!!!

Post by citroenxm »

I took a sinker in a while back.. A 1993 L reg TD SX one.

Anyway. Initially I was going to break her, this was due to bad rust in the rear nearside quater panel.. a fuel drainage over night issue, pair of strut tops ...

Anyway, noticing the dwindeling S1 cars, I had second thoughts. I know the car, and done a few things to it over the years, mainly suspension and brake pipe work..

The car also Benefits from a recent new radiator, and also a new Altinator too.. Spheres were fitted in 09, and still have some life left in them.

I had a look at the fueling issue the other day, and swapped the Fuel Primer bulb. This though today appeared to have solved the fuel problem. The fuel would drain back over night - it had been two days and it was fine.

So, theres the worst of the car, which I find increadably rare for a Sunroof car. NO the sunroof drain pipe is not blocked either.

So, as a whole, to do..

Get some tyres.
Swap the strut tops for decent ones
Clean in side up
Full Service
Sort ABS out, the bulb is currently removed so need to look at that.

The car starts perfectly well, instantly and on all four with none of the common XUD spluttering when cold you normally get.

Cable drive speedo, and shows 199k on it. Theres NO evidance of a heater leak either, no Curry smell etc. All windows work, CL works, PAS feels good.
Last edited by citroenxm on 28 Jun 2013, 18:29, edited 2 times in total.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
bxzx16v

Re: A Sinker Light Project

Post by bxzx16v »

Well done Paul for taking this sinker on , as you say the S1 Xantia is getting a rare sight nowadays , great cars had 3 myself .

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Ive had a Black Sinker previously in my time.

Ive still got another L reg Black one, BUT, its one of the first Anti Sinker models.

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Citroening

Post by Citroening »

Looking at those pictures Paul that looks like it's got the potential to clean up very nicely indeed. 8-)

Wouldn't take much to get that gleaming white again - a lot of that rear wing will polish back to white...
Franklin
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Not Sure Franklin.

The rear quarter has been rotting for some time, the owner filled it a while ago, Im scared to grind it back incase Im left with a massive HOLE.. :shock:

I may just leave that "Bit" for who ever. Its a shame really, the rest of the car is good, even under neath..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Citroening

Post by Citroening »

It's difficult to tell from pictures, but I reckon that some cutting compound would remove most of the rusty water runs that are on there.

Of course, though, as you've seen it in the flesh you can tell better!

If it's been filled before though, then sounds like it's worse than I thought...

Best of luck with the project, can't be many around now... =D>
Franklin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Paul, an excellent project :-D Sinkers are now rare enough to make it very worthwhile. Well done!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Rounded up some bits..

Got a pair of strut tops for it, also a pair of tyres for it.. sort out an abs sensor still not sure which one..

thats all for now..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Paul... You have a Lexia haven't you? That’ll tell you which ABS sensor is unhappy!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Yes Jim, Ive just not had the time to do this bit yet.. Ive just manged to move things back and forth from mums to the farm and back again - half an hour between both places..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Did a small bit today in a couple of hours while waiting for a Viewing on the Y reg HDi to turn up..

Swapped the front accumilator sphere, as it was flat as a pancake, not just no gas, but FLAT flat, as in inverted membrane. The sphere came off full of LHM.. so fitted a nicer "Citroen" one which had pleanty of life in it, I did the pressure check by stopping the engine after pressurising the system and then pulling the height lever to top setting, the front lifted a few MM indicating some reserve in the accumilator.

I also swapped the passenger strut top as there was hole through the base plate as shown below. The replacment had peeled slightly, so I removed the old rubber as much as possibly, wire brushed the worse, and tapped the loose rust away..

Unfortunally, I didn't have the KureRust or under seal with me, so I shall re visit again to apply both to the top plate under the wing and around the mating faces between the top side and the inner wing, and seal it all up. Theres pleanty of base plate, and it cleaned up well enough to give pleanty of service after a good sealing...

Spot the difference in them! I have only just NOW after looking at these pictures...

So thats two to tick off the list, well, one and a half jobs, need to apply the rust prevention before the car sees any wet roads etc.

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Really pleased to see some progress on this Paul :-D
Jim

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Just to add to this..

After the strut top change, and a further sitting around till this week, I offered the car on loan to help out some friends.

After a check over, I thought, she will be fine for MOT. So Yesterday submitted her for MOT.

The car came back, WITH AN Mot, but a couple of advisories...

Front disks slightly scored, pitted or rusted (Car sat for AGES and dragged out and taken to MOT station 6 miles away, no where near far enough to clean them up)
N/s + O/s bottom arm rubber bush worn but not serious with no play.
Suspension pipe (where enters jacket) slightly corroded but not weakn'd ..
Steering Rack Off side (thank God) boot deteriated.
Rear tyres close to legal limit.

So, she has a FULL MOT, insurance and TAX and is back in service!

Body wise underneath, NOTHING was said, and she is actually very good!

The brake test printout actually showed EXTREAMILLY very good powerfull brake force readings on the tester!

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: A Sinker Light Project NOW Legal again!!!

Post by CitroJim »

Paul, that's absolutely lovely! Excellent news 8-) :-D
Jim

citroenxm

Re: A Sinker Light Project NOW Legal again!!!

Post by citroenxm »

Initially the car behaven, then the previous dreaded starting problem reared its head again..

The car wouldn't start without a prime up of the fuel bulb.. So I went to have a look again..

And lo and behold, the block behind the altinator/below the pump was wet... there was no choice, the front seal on the pump was leaking.

So, couple of hours later and a new seal fitted, first time starting, without any priming has been resumed on the car!

Well chuffed, so thats another job to tick of the to do list on this car.

As a rolling project its handy, as it can be used and at the same time issues sorted out. Meaning it makes a better car to sell on eventually.

When I have a day, I will be dooing the belt and water pump.

So, the To do now on this.

ABS still needs sorting. Prevous owner had the bulb removed, so no bulb to test nothing to fail. But I WANT it working
Cam belt
Water Pump

he car had a full service with oil filter and air filter before being loaned out.

So there we are, a nice L reg Sinker on the road in use with actual careing owners...

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto