Xantia Insurance

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Xantia Insurance

Post by red_dwarfers »

This thread has made me feel better, sorry!

I'm 23, 4 years NCB, no voluntary excess fully comp comes to around £480 for the XM, going by last year the Xantia is usually around £30-40 less. Direct Line have always come out the best value for me the last couple of years as long as they price match their own new customer quote. I know the feeling though, the first 4 years driving I couldn't get anything less than £1500.

GSA on a classic policy is a bit less, around £350 fully comp with European breakdown.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

red_dwarfers wrote:This thread has made me feel better, sorry!

I'm 23, 4 years NCB, no voluntary excess fully comp comes to around £480 for the XM, going by last year the Xantia is usually around £30-40 less. Direct Line have always come out the best value for me the last couple of years as long as they price match their own new customer quote. I know the feeling though, the first 4 years driving I couldn't get anything less than £1500.

GSA on a classic policy is a bit less, around £350 fully comp with European breakdown.
Sounds cheap Kev!

I'm in my 9th year of driving and have other qualifacations but its just at a steady price now, but its not what I would call expensive. Quite annoyed with myself for not going the multicar route though!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Crikey, weve the veg bus on a multicar through admiral, have had past 2 years, its £550 for both, fully comp etc.
quite a bit has to do with area, amount of damage caused by drivers of the age bracket in that type of car, and repair costs etc. however, it is cheaper to insure the Bx16v than it is the Xant TD! (it was cheaper to insure the Bx than it was a 1.4 v reg clio!)
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

I'll be sixty this year, have 9 years NCB, car insured for business use, parked on the road, in north London, HDI exclusive estate. Paying £50 per month the lowest I could get.
The thing which is really worrying me though is that if some idiot drives into me almost any repair would write the car off and it would be almost impossible to replace, certainly in a hurry.
When the bar stewards wrote off the wife's 106 for a broken window and stolen battery they and I used the Autotrader site to negotiate a settlement. With the exclusive there would almost certainly be a grand total of zero available. How strong a case would I have if I insisted on a repair if a replacement was unavailable? Anyone got any knowledge of this sort of thing?
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Is there not an official advocate for people thus compromised? Here we have the "Financial Services Ombudsman" whose office exists to pressure banks and insurers when they are trying harder than normal to shaft customers.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:Is there not an official advocate for people thus compromised? Here we have the "Financial Services Ombudsman" whose office exists to pressure banks and insurers when they are trying harder than normal to shaft customers.

We have the same thing Addo, but in many cases he is but a paper tiger and not much use..
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Northern_Mike wrote:
addo wrote:Is there not an official advocate for people thus compromised? Here we have the "Financial Services Ombudsman" whose office exists to pressure banks and insurers when they are trying harder than normal to shaft customers.

We have the same thing Addo, but in many cases he is but a paper tiger and not much use..
Although normally sides with the customer rather than the insurance company.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

To be fair to the ombudsman they have instigated two complaints for me recently very quickly and without much fuss.
The first one was about when I changed my VSX 1.9td estate for the 2.0HDI Exclusive. The insurance company refused to continue insurance at all on the HDI, I had to take out a new policy at almost treble the previous cost and when I declined their kind offer they demanded an immediate payment of 110 quid. I refused to pay this and was told they were going to taketin anyway on the debit card I'd paid the deposit with two years previously consent or not.
The glee in the voice of the girl on the phone when she gave me this news was frankly sickening only to be replaced with the sound of bitter disappointment when she discovered the card had expired. I don't think I laughed out loud but I did let her know what I thought of their disgusting business practices.
To put the numbers in perspective they had ramped up the vsx insurance from 45-65 quid on renewal, prior to attempting the vehicle change and I had many quotes for the hdi 45-50 quid, they wanted 123 a month!
Very soon after this I was starting to be bothered by debt collectors for the 'cancellation fee'.
A call to the ombudsman generated a phone call from the company concerned who very quickly quashed the 'charges'.
Despite agreeing with me that what was attempted was disgusting practice the ombudsman said if they have buried such things in the terms and conditions there wasn't anything they could do about it.
A different company pulled the same stroke when changing the wife's 106 for the Saxo.
The other complaint is about my home insurance so I won't bore you with that.
Beware Insurance companies they can be hazardous t to your wealth!
Cheers
Paul.
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
LeWaftBarge

Post by LeWaftBarge »

In an ideal world, your tax disc would include a basic third party only insurance supplied by the government, seeing as the two are required for legal use on the road, I'm surprised they don't do this. I'd even be happier to pay a little more for the privilege.
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

For some odd reason the mk 2 version of the Xantia is (or was) in the same insurance group as 5 series BMW and E class Mercedes, not with Mondeos and Vectras etc as you'd expect

I applied for some online quotes 4 or 5 years ago, and one or two firms said we do not cover such a high risk car. (That hasn't stopped one of them sending me a letter each year asking me to apply again).

3 or 4 years ago I was paying about £430 to include cover for any driver over 25. I've quit that since realising how much extra it costs, as it reduces the number of insurers available, and I barely used it anyway.

I've worked down to about £250 this year, from £328 the first year with this insurer. I could cut by another £18 or £28 by reducing the declared mileage, which I'll do in the next few days (free do-it-yourself admin changes online).