Raspberry Pi anyone?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Raspberry Pi anyone?

Post by Xaccers »

Has anyone dablled with one of these?

I've ordered one a they're quite cheap and I was thinking of replacing the clock in Cassy with something a bit more informative, maybe with the temperature both inside and out etc, then I got to thinking about climate control.
Someone in the past, as with many Xantias, had changed the air flow flap with the blower on full blast, which results in the cable being kinked so I have to have it set to allow air in which is not good when you've got the a/c going.

So I was thinking about replacing the blower slide switches with computer control.
If possible, replace the cable control on the flaps with stepper motors, and have the fan power drop when the flaps move.
The blower speed is controled by a negative voltage applied to it, so I'm trying to track down a way of controlling the voltage with the RPi, or stepped via relays.
The a/c could be controlled as well, so if the temperature is more than say 5C above what you want it to be the compressor will automatically kick in.

There's other functions that could be added too, such as media/games for kids in the back, navigation with GPS, DAB radio...
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Raspberry Pi anyone?

Post by CitroJim »

Snakes alive! You'll have to learn Python....

Xac, you do realise they run Linux don't you?

I'd hate for you to get one and not be aware of that salient fact. Bill's finest does not run on them...

Thank goodness...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

CitroJim wrote:Snakes alive! You'll have to learn Python....

I'd hate for you to get one and not be aware of that salient fact. Bill's finest does not run on them...

Thank goodness...
Would be great to have something like a Pi and a small touch screen for Lexia diagnosis though :)
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I recently spotted a Pi-alike on either The Register or Slashdot that I suspect doesn't use Linux.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Ben82 wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Snakes alive! You'll have to learn Python....

Thank goodness...
Would be great to have something like a Pi and a small touch screen for Lexia diagnosis though :)
That would be my ultimate goal but I don't think I'd be able to. Maybe I should buy Jim one and set the challenge? It'd probably only take him a week :)

Jim the Pi won't have the same technical requirements that I have for a server so I think Linux may just about manage ;)
I could run RiscOS on it instead though and play Elite :)
It arrived yesterday. It really is tiny.

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent stuff Xac, really looking forward to seeing it :)

I'm sure a Lexia clone could be knocked up on a Pi. All we need to know is the protocols for the ECUs and that's the hard bit...

I'm impressed by how many IO board kits are available for the Pi and that will make it really useful..

I was wondering about creating an autobox ECU from one...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:Excellent stuff Xac, really looking forward to seeing it :)

I'm sure a Lexia clone could be knocked up on a Pi. All we need to know is the protocols for the ECUs and that's the hard bit...

I'm impressed by how many IO board kits are available for the Pi and that will make it really useful..

I was wondering about creating an autobox ECU from one...
Get working on the protocols then Jim! :D

DIY sphere tool
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I wonder if it is possible to get a Raspberry Pi to run a virtual Windows XP session. If it could, then that might be a temporary work around until somebody (Jim?) could get it managing a Lexia directly.

Amazon are doing them for £50;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-PI-D4 ... i+computer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I wonder if it is possible to get a Raspberry Pi to run a virtual Windows XP session.
How dare you swear and use bad language on the forum James :twisted:

It is a LINUX machine...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Sorry, I will go and wash my mouth out with coal tar soap!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My reason for the suggestion was simple. Until somebody could get the Lexia software to work on Linux I though a virtual Windows system would be a reasonable work around. Obviously not. Sorry, my bad!!!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I wonder if it is possible to get a Raspberry Pi to run a virtual Windows XP session. If it could, then that might be a temporary work around until somebody (Jim?) could get it managing a Lexia directly.

Amazon are doing them for £50;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-PI-D4 ... i+computer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I got mine from Farnell (Element 14) for £28 as I didn't need a SD card or PSU.

From this you can run XP on an Android device, might give it a go on my tablet as I'm sure that's got USB OTG so could maybe take the Lexia leads.

Probably need to install the Lexia software via Qemu first.

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Sorry, I will go and wash my mouth out with coal tar soap!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My reason for the suggestion was simple. Until somebody could get the Lexia software to work on Linux I though a virtual Windows system would be a reasonable work around. Obviously not. Sorry, my bad!!!
I was only joking////

Actually I think that bears some looking into James...

I'm wondering if wine might do the trick but it very much depends on how the Lexia software gets at the USB port. If it does it properly via the correct APIs then it might work. Only one thing to do I guess...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I thought you probably were joking, but I was not certain about my Windows virtual machine idea, as I have no experience of Linux.

One thing I will be getting tomorrow from the computer fair is a bigger memory card for my camera. I'll post the price when I get back.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

If it could be made so that a Lexia could be made to run through a small touch screen in-car, that would be brilliant.

What a project...! =D>

Ready for launch at DSM?! :lol: :twisted:
Franklin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: I have no experience of Linux.
James, it's time you got some Linux experience. It's the OS of the future... May I recommend you start off with Ubuntu...
Jim