Xantia Insurance

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Xantia Insurance

Post by Northern_Mike »

Has anyone got to the bottom of why Xantias are so expensive to insure?

Just ran a few quotes at Direct Line - I actually called them up.

MX5 - I was paying £22 a month

If I were to get an IMPORT Impreza with a remapped ECU and non-original exhaust - £27 per month.

If I were to get a Subaru Legacy import, 280BHP Flat six ..... £22 per month.

Xantia HDI 110, standard - £41 per month. Activa £45 per month..

Sure, I'd save the difference in fuel, but it just makes no sense at all..
Northern_Mike

Re: Xantia Insurance

Post by Northern_Mike »

superloopy wrote:Must be down to age ... my Activa, 4 years ncd, £139 with Saga. My V6 1 years ncd, £222 with Saga. Both cars declared as on road, not garaged. Ive also got a TD, full ncd, £189 againg with Saga. Might be an element of multicar discount but i doubt it as Saga dont seem to advertise it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
I'm 40, I pay £212 a year for the Berlingo..

They want over £500 for the Xantia, just less than half that for the Legacy, a car with nearly 3 times the power..
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Similar with me with the little 106D. It was more (even allowing for rates to rise over a couple of years) than the mighty 205TD...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've come to the conclusion there is both improbable statistical analysis (in other words, chance events are given excessive weighting in terms of likely ongoing frequency) and a degree of basically what is malicious price-fixing by insurers, to cut both ways - dissuade people from certain marques/ages of car and gouge those who resist.

Freddy Berlingo has an all-in insurance and tax cost that would fly me to the UK and back in peak season, with cash to spare.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Northern_Mike wrote:
superloopy wrote:Must be down to age ... my Activa, 4 years ncd, £139 with Saga. My V6 1 years ncd, £222 with Saga. Both cars declared as on road, not garaged. Ive also got a TD, full ncd, £189 againg with Saga. Might be an element of multicar discount but i doubt it as Saga dont seem to advertise it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
I'm 40, I pay £212 a year for the Berlingo..

They want over £500 for the Xantia, just less than half that for the Legacy, a car with nearly 3 times the power..
I'm 37, have not had any claims, although to be fair I'm only just onto my 2nd year of car ownership/insuring in the UK (so no previous history over here for no claims discount to build up etc) and Admiral want around £500 a year for the Xantia V6 just for 3rd party fire & theft...and were by far the cheapest of the options when I first looked March last year.

I've now changed address about a mile and a half down the road in the same town in an area that's no worse than where I was (IMHO), and gone from a large apartment building car park to on-street parking and my insurance has just gone up by 30%. :evil: Thankfully we'll only be here for a few months and should be back to somewhere with a drive way, if not a garage! :roll:

Perhaps its my lack of years of no claims discount, and to be fair the 2nd years premium did drop by well over £100 compared to the first year (until the address change brought it up again) but it seems ludicrously expensive compared to insurance back in NZ which, funnily enough, is not so much of a cartel because car insurance isn't compulsory! (insurance companies don't just have to compete against each other, they have to compete against "free"...)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

mines the cheapest td xantia to insure. The bx es 405 tds. In group 7 to 8 mabye 9. Noticed the 40s xantias in group 8 upwards
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I'm not sure why they are expensive, mine is certainly a good bit more than my newer, more valuable and more powerful C5 HDi was to insure.

I'm thinking about getting another car to use daily, just a cheap to keep car and move the HDI Xantia onto less frequent duties to keep it nice and the miles down. I thought about a classic car policy for the Xantia, as some do cover cars which are 15 years and older. My quotes ranged from £2800 to £7200! I of course am going with the cheapest there ... :twisted:

I find the Activa is a similar amount to the HDi to insure, I'm just deciding if I can justify another premium for another car, I'm looking at what is cheapest to insure.

Mike, does that mean we might see you in another Xantia some time soon? You wouldn't be tempted by another C5?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroenmad wrote:
Mike, does that mean we might see you in another Xantia some time soon? You wouldn't be tempted by another C5?
I'm very tempted by Gadgetgricey's HDi and that silver Activa that's been on ebay up in Ipswich. I was going to go and get the HDi the other day.

Sadly the Berlingo has munched it's crank pulley. I have to get that replaced with the timing belt, waterpump, tensioners. I'm taking it to Savoy Malc tomorrow and he can sort the airbag and horn while it's in. I am not expecting this to be cheap, so my car activities have had to cease for a while. I'm a bit stuck because we're down to one car as I sold the Mazda by accident and I've had to swap my shifts around and take a day off.
LeWaftBarge

Post by LeWaftBarge »

Hello all, first time poster, but I felt compelled to share my experiences.

I was with Co-operative eco insurance with my previous car, a 1994 Honda Civic 1.4. So you would have thought an insurance company based around eco-friendliness would love a more economical, frugal car with less naughty OH-NOES! CO2 belching out of the exhaust?

Apparently not.

They refused to insure me on the HDi Xantia, purely based on (and I'm not making this up) the suspension.

Apparently this makes me a higher risk. I assume they think I'm bouncing up and down like a lowrider whilst barreling down the M27 upside down and on fire.

I moved insurance companies and enjoy the French waftiness all the more for it. I've also been a month into ownership without breaking down, which is hopefully the way things should stay!

Anyway, morning all, pleasure to meet everyone!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Image1 user says Thank You to LeWaftBarge for this post.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

What Addo said!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Just renewed the insurance on my HDi Exclusive, cheapest quote I could get was £690.
Which honestly isn't too bad for me, a touch more than my ZX but not by much - especially since I'm doing a fair commute now.

Still got one more year until that apparently magic age of 25...
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Chlorate wrote:Just renewed the insurance on my HDi Exclusive, cheapest quote I could get was £690.
Which honestly isn't too bad for me, a touch more than my ZX but not by much - especially since I'm doing a fair commute now.

Still got one more year until that apparently magic age of 25...
One more year and you'll be smoking a pipe, wearing tweed jackets, and be a much safer driver. :lol: :twisted:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

:-D

Got to enjoy my final year of reckless driving and not being able to borrow courtesy cars :lol:

Better act my age according to insurance companies and fit a fart cannon to the Xantia.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Chlorate wrote: Still got one more year until that apparently magic age of 25...
That was me last year, but my insurance went up! :shock:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10