rough rear suspension!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xm-2.5td
My Cars:

rough rear suspension!

Post by xm-2.5td »

Okay…as suggested by someone on this forum, I did lubricating of my front struts…and it did the trick. Front suspension is as soft as it can be.
But… - and with Citroen there is always some “but” :)
How do I or what do I do with rear my suspension? Can it be lubricated too and if it can, how do I do it?
Right now, it feels a bit odd, front suspension feels magically, while at same time, rear feels a bit rough on pot holes.
Just as a reminder, I changed all spheres on my Xm, not long ago. I mounted brand new ones, not reconditioned.
Any ides?
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Check:
(1) That the rear spheres are the right ones - I guess there's a table somewhere with XM sphere specs like there is for the BX. By the way, is this a hydractive model of XM, with ride control and possibly extra anti-sink spheres?
(2)That there is smooth and unobstructed travel of the rear suspension throughout its full travel (on a BX you can do this with the car in normal height by pulling-up/pushing-down on the rear bumper - but with a rather heavier XM this might be impractical). This is a general test on the rear arms to look for any corrosion problems with the rear arm bearings. More "normal" rear arm bearing wear can be diagnosed by putting the XM at maximum height then checking for rear wheel lean-in ( rear wheels leaning inward /--\ rather than straight up |--|). Both kinds of wear willimpact on ride comfort and handling.
(3)The pivot for the height control linkage - again checking it's running through a full range of travel in response to the height lever. If the rear is only semi-raised due to the height corrector not getting the right inputs, then this can have an effect on ride comfort.
I'm sure there's more, but these are worth trying first.
xm-2.5td
My Cars:

Post by xm-2.5td »

Hmm...let see....
Spheres had been changed in authorized Citroen garage; I had some doubts myself but after I checked...yup...they did put right ones.
when I start car, it raises to normal height...when pressed, front/rear is really soft.
Changed my tires not long ago...wear on all 4 tires was absolutely normal.
Just to mention, car is equipped with hydroctiv II.
My idea is that maybe rear height corrector is maybe somehow impacting and causing this.
Any chance I’m on the right track?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by xm-2.5td</i>

My idea is that maybe rear height corrector is maybe somehow impacting and causing this.
Any chance I’m on the right track?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
No ... the HC has nothing to do with supension SOFTNESS, only maintains/sets suspension HEIGHT.
If the rear suspension feels soft on the common press down test, then it should in fact be near perfect ...
The actual driveheight of the suspension has an enormous influence on how the driver feels the suspension softness during drive.
Check the normal driveheight setting on both front & rear axles :
Have engine idle, hand (parking) brakes on, car parked on level ground.
Take and record a height measurement of the car on any suitable reference point, when suspension set to lowest, and then when suspension set to highest.
Now return the suspension to normal height, and check this height is eexactly midtway between the 2 recorded heights.
xm-2.5td
My Cars:

Post by xm-2.5td »

Thanks Anders I'll check this out. Let you know how it went.
xm-2.5td
My Cars:

Post by xm-2.5td »

Well, I did check it...and I did measure it….and the height seams to be quite normal.
Any possibility I can do the same thing as with front struts? is it possible to lubricate them?
Thanks,
I.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Have you checked that your tyres are not over inflated?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Does an XM have rear swing arm bearings and if so, are they seized either partially or fully?
As I have recently discovered and have done several times over the years, they can make a hell of a difference to the ride and as has been the case here if they exist, are often forgotten.
Alan S[;)]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Oh yes -
<i>DOES</i> the XM have rear arm bearings [8D]
- except for minor differences on the seal design - it's exactly the same setup as found on the CX [;)]
Even the bearings part no are the same.
- prone to spoil the (expected) floaty ride on the rear [:(]