how about this for a scam

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

jacksun1987

how about this for a scam

Post by jacksun1987 »

Attention: Your PayPal account has been violated!
PayPal Security & Privacy
Dear PayPal Member,

Someone with ip address 63.501.26.80 tried to access your personal account!
Please click the link below and enter your account information to confirm that you are not currently away
You have 3 days to confirm account information or your account will be locked.

Click the link below to activate your account:
UPDATE ONLINE NOW

Thank you for your prompt response.

Sincerely,
PayPal Member Services
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: how about this for a scam

Post by myglaren »

jacksun1987 wrote:Attention: Your PayPal account has been violated!
PayPal Security & Privacy
Dear PayPal Member,

Someone with ip address 63.501.26.80 tried to access your personal account!
Please click the link below and enter your account information to confirm that you are not currently away
You have 3 days to confirm account information or your account will be locked.

Click the link below to activate your account:
UPDATE ONLINE NOW

Thank you for your prompt response.

Sincerely,
PayPal Member Services
SOP.

Presuming you have a PayPal account, forward it to their fraud department.

I used to get them regularly but haven't for a long time now. Did get one recently with some nonsense about my Swedish bank account. Haven't had a Swedish bank account for thirty years and it wasn't with that bank anyway. Targeted by username no doubt.
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

I had an authentic email from Paypal, which was so badly worded I thought it was a phishing email:
Some Paypal numpty wrote:PayPal is always working to improve your PayPal experience. We’re happy to let you know that we have made changes to the PayPal Seller Protection eligibility requirements for your account that could result in more of your transactions being eligible for more transactions are now eligible for PayPal Seller Protection.
Since moving all my email to hosted gmail about 18 months or so ago, I hardly see any of the spam, or scams anymore :)
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Never, ever respond to these sorts of scams and never ever click on links in such emails. Trouble is, some do look very convincing.
Ben82 wrote:I
Since moving all my email to hosted gmail about 18 months or so ago, I hardly see any of the spam, or scams anymore :)
I host my own email and using spamassassin I get very little. You should see my spamtrap though. Utterly delightful. By gawd there's some sad bastards out there :evil:

Thing is, most of the spam that comes in to me is actually directed at the forums - very little is for me personally... Thank goodness...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

CitroJim wrote:Never, ever respond to these sorts of scams and never ever click on links in such emails. Trouble is, some do look very convincing.
Ben82 wrote:I
I host my own email and using spamassassin I get very little. You should see my spamtrap though. Utterly delightful. By gawd there's some sad bastards out there :evil:

Thing is, most of the spam that comes in to me is actually directed at the forums - very little is for me personally... Thank goodness...
I used to use different aliases on my domain for different sites I registered for, but then I stopped due to my hosting provider took away the catch-all ability, so was too much hassle to sort out new addresses for each new site. Unfortunately that meant that I started using my main email address for things... and of course, now it's "known" i get far too much spam on it... although Google's spam filtering is extremely good, I do venture in there sometimes to ensure something hasn't incorrectly been marked as spam.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Its always worth checking the full headers if you're in doubt (if possible) as its very easy to forge a fake header to make it appear to come from somewhere else indeed.

Although the usual banks / Paypal etc would never send you a .zip or an exe file. I remember having a form.exe from a bank arrive once about my account, shame I'd never banked with them. :D
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

PP/Fleabay run close to spam themselves with the dreck they lay on you based upon your search terms, items viewed and spending history. "You might also be interested in..."

I expect at some point the PP database will be compromised and many of us will be shot ducks as a consequence.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:"You might also be interested in..."
That makes me giggle sometimes... I bought a BD535 transistor on the 'bay a while back and now I get loads of suggestions of obscure transistors I might like...

Worst part is when I log out of the 'bay and a page of a dating site comes up, every time :twisted: What's that all about? I never go near such places and I'm not looking so does it know I'm not in a relationship but thinks I should be? And if so, how?

Bizarre...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Have you got Adblock Plus installed Jim?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:Have you got Adblock Plus installed Jim?
No, but tell me more :)

This dating stuff I'm speaking of is not a pop-up or a new window but actually seems to be part of ebay :?

Maybe you can even buy brides on the 'bay now.. Who knows...

Next time it happens I'll grab a screenshot...
Jim

Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Re: Re:

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:
addo wrote:"You might also be interested in..."
That makes me giggle sometimes... I bought a BD535 transistor on the 'bay a while back and now I get loads of suggestions of obscure transistors I might like...

Worst part is when I log out of the 'bay and a page of a dating site comes up, every time :twisted: What's that all about? I never go near such places and I'm not looking so does it know I'm not in a relationship but thinks I should be? And if so, how?

Bizarre...
Never had anything like that happen on my windows PC

(Couldn't resist)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Chris570 wrote: Never had anything like that happen on my windows PC

(Couldn't resist)
Happens on my Windows laptop at work too. That's running XP...

So there!
Jim

Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:
Chris570 wrote: Never had anything like that happen on my windows PC

(Couldn't resist)
Happens on my Windows laptop at work too. That's running XP...

So there!
Must be the user then ;)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote: Worst part is when I log out of the 'bay and a page of a dating site comes up, every time :twisted: What's that all about? I never go near such places and I'm not looking so does it know I'm not in a relationship but thinks I should be? And if so, how?

Bizarre...
Maybe it is trying to tell you something :)

It's time to clear your cookies
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I think it just extrapolates the singledom idea from time spent browsing, items watched and purchased.

Often I get adverts for sales of women's clothing. :shock:

Also the user tracking thing applies to Google sites; I watch Duane Eddy on YT and it advertises "Date older women". I watch Donna Summer on YT and it advertises "Meet gay men". If I listen to slightly more contemporary stuff (say, The Prodigy) it usually advertises new PS games or the Bad Idea T-shirts.