Cleaning out the EGR mess

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Cleaning out the EGR mess

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:Somewhere on YouTube is a fairly spectacular video of someone burning a NEXT computer case made of magnesium.
Magnesium burns a treat, it really does.. Early British cypher equipment, some of which can be seen at Bletchley Park these days, was often built on a magnesium chassis to enable them to be most comprehensively destroyed should there be a risk they might fall into the wrong hands...

I can remember the specific instructions to carry out this task in a specially modified dustbin... Sadly we never had an opportunity to test this method of destruction to see if it actually worked :(

You have to be careful turning and machining magnesium and other similar metals. The swarf can ignite quite readily...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Found the story on Slashdot but not the video.
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Just done this task on my XUD. I got a cheap alloy wheel cleaner brush from Halfords, the bristles are on a bit of wire so it flexes and gets round the corners. Got the worst of it off with the brush in a bath of diesel, hosed it out then left it soak overnight in a bath of drain cleaner (caustic essentially). Asda sell "drain cleaner" in a white container which is caustic, £2.98 a tub. Great for cleaning all sorts of things (and great for cleaning veg oil!). You probably would want to wear gloves and goggles as it's not something you want to make contact with. It will make your skin feel clean and smooth but for all the wrong reasons :shock:
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.