Any BM drivers on here

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

stu9

Any BM drivers on here

Post by stu9 »

Just wondered, I've had a 320 and 525 (petrols) a few years, really like them but thirsty but was thinking about a diesel....they seem to get a good write apart from the swirl flaps, had anyone got or had a diesel BM, what did you think
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Any BM drivers on here

Post by CitroJim »

Clearly not :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
stu9

Post by stu9 »

What's with the eyes....I just asked
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

stu9 wrote:What's with the eyes....I just asked
Mouse slipped. I meant this one :(

Sorry...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I seem to recall the diesels can 'eat' the swirl flaps in the manifold which is not good news for the head generally. Not sure if the fix is to bin them or otherwise (would make sense if they are only there for EGR control)

I also seem to remember reading later models / revised parts are available so replacing them would cure, although personally I would err towards binning them (but my feelings on EGR in general are known) ;)

I did a blocked heater matrix on a 'C plate 320 a few years ago (about 15 years ago) the car was given to me free was a bit of a "£$""$££" to get the dash out and back in again, turned out I could of got away without removing it as the pipes had connectors inside the heaterbox, although its not something you'd of known unless you'd had one apart before. As the car was not at home (in a lockup miles away) I needed the box / matrix out to take home to very severely flush out.

I should point out I only had it a month as it had some very very nasty wiring corrosion that I've never seen before or since, the central locking did not work upon investigation all the wiring in the drivers door was corroded inside the plastic covering, I cut a few inches off with the intention of replacing it but that was too corroded too, ended up replacing most of the door loom and even then it only worked when it felt like. :D

The MPG gauge was interesting though it used to drop remarkably upon acceleration (that was probably me enjoying the straight six torque) :oops: but even driven gently it did seem a bit tail happy in the wet for my liking, if I remember it only had skinny cheap plasticy tyres on it, as I say was a freebie.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Andy F
My Cars:

Post by Andy F »

Hi,

I think it depends entirely on what generation you are looking for and what you are going to use the car for. A few years back, before i eventually bought a C5 instead, i was very tempted by an E39 530d around 2002. I still think they are the best looking beemer yet. The advice seemed consistent that although the 530d was more frugal than the 520 or 530i the diesel would eventually require a very costly repair such as swirl flaps, turbos, Hp pumps and injectors that would quickly negate any benefit gained in mpg. And there was no way i could do 20,000+ miles per year in a 6 cylinder petrol of any marque! I spent some time lurking on BMW forums to find out what the enthusiasts of the cars really felt honestly.

That was my experience when i was very tempted to stray from the double chevron. I bought a C5 in the end as the HDi is superior in reliability, mpg and it comes in a car with suspension. If you are looking at other marques it pays to spend some time on the forums to see the common failures of certain models.
Andy
1999 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 Estate
2001 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 LX
1999 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi 90
1983 T25 VW camper
1994 Mini 1275 35th Anniversary Edition - sold
2007 C8 2.0 HDi 136 Exclusive - sold
Previous AXs
1987 11RE
1987 11TRE
1995 Dimension