C5 HDi90 rear passenger side sphere leak - Strut failure !!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

C5 HDi90 rear passenger side sphere leak - Strut failure !!

Post by KP »

I've noticed there is a weep from this sphere and the occasional jet but not too often :(

So queries are....

1. Is this a sign its dead and needs replacing being original its 12yrs old!!!
2. Is there any known issues with the blocks they screw into?
3. Where do you too up the lds and how?

Think ill get an old Xantia as at least I understand them :)
Last edited by KP on 13 May 2013, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: C5 HDi90 rear passenger side sphere leak

Post by RichardW »

You need to get the sphere off, and have a look. Be warned it may turn into a nightmare! This thread describes Chris's recent troubles with his Xantia - very similar design.

LDS tank is under the plastic cover at RH side of the engine bay. Open it up and tip some in :lol: The tank may be under pressure when you take the lid off. Steel yourself for a shock at the price of LDS :roll:
Richard W
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

RichardW wrote:You need to get the sphere off, and have a look. Be warned it may turn into a nightmare! This thread describes Chris's recent troubles with his Xantia - very similar design.

LDS tank is under the plastic cover at RH side of the engine bay. Open it up and tip some in :lol: The tank may be under pressure when you take the lid off. Steel yourself for a shock at the price of LDS :roll:
Will! If you are going to be at the Northern there will be someone there selling LDS etc at quite reasonable prices.
I bought some from him a couple of years ago and saw he was at the X-rally a couple of weeks ago.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Ahhh northern rally on Sunday! I did think there was something this weekend!!

I am worried about taking it off, i do fear it may be ruptured which could leave me stuck :( Typical for the week I need a vehicle as well! Oh well the spheres don't appear to pricey on fleabay and 12yrs is a good going compared to an old sphere at least :)

So far I've found a doc explaining the fluid level check that's about it..
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

That lovely Xantia sphere thread and it must have been bad as I never had one that rough, just spheres that could be sticky sometimes :)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Northern is the 17th/18th/19th Will.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:Northern is the 17th/18th/19th Will.
Thank goodness for that. Not recovered from the X Rally yet. Another one this weekend would be just too soon!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Ahhh don't think it will wait that long :(

Will try my local Andrew Page buddy I think ;)
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Sitrep.

If you have a C5 you need to get under the rear ASAP and get some protection around the rear struts and spheres :(

It turns out the rear struts suffer from electrolytic corrosion when our weather is added to the and thus the spheres and them seem to weld together...

I'm ordering up a good used one to replace the unit thats fitted.

The corrosion led to a small chunk falling away right on the face up where the sphere screws on and the pressure from the 166 2.8kg bricks in the car pushed it over the edge and it came loose and the rubber seal ring even started to poke out as well :shock: :shock: :shock: So as a temp measure i have used the great liquid metal stuff on it and then stuck a jubilee clip round it to get me by until the other unit arrives which i may ask Paris autos to fit while i wait sometime :)

I can not stress enough how bad this unit looks at the moment and the other one is looking rough so is being treated with rust eater and a lot of paint!

Im thinking of wrapping some thick plastic around them and sticking some silica gel in there and sealing the bags tight!

Also it looks like the front strut tops rust like the Xantia and XM ones as well so they will get the rust eater treatment and my dads new estate is going to get the same as well!

In other news a local Xantia HDi Exclsuive has been spotted for £400 so this C5 may be going soon to be replaced by that if the seller ever gets back to me!

Please i urge all C5 owners, estate or hatch to get the rear struts cleaned up and sealed as best as possible if they want them to last! this is on a 2002 lx so only 11 years old and there are some older ones out there. Also i think being the passenger side it indicates that the water helps speed the process up seeing as thats usually the wetest parts of the road and where all the muck ends up :(
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Exactly the same failure as the Xantais then Will.... Your next challenge is persuading the pin to come out of the arm to release the pushrod (See recent threads by me and C.Morewood) - although I understand from Peter N there might be a bit more access on the C5.
Richard W
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Would that be the pin that would be at the far right of this picture and is just needing to be pulled out?

I'm guessing it rusts in a bit and that's the cause of issues so will be dousing it soon in plus gas but its already got a light layer of LDS on it!

Also are the pipes on the struts seem to be, HP feed from the control block at the let, then 2 bleed back pipes on the rubber gaiter?

How easy is it to remove the pipes from the rubber gaiter and put them into the new one?

I think knowing Cit prices i'll take my chances on a used part with sphere and just wash it down in brake cleaner and paint the area and repeat on the other side.

Such a shame that its been made from such a soft metal :(
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

KP wrote:Would that be the pin that would be at the far right of this picture and is just needing to be pulled out?
That'll be the one :roll:
KP wrote:Also are the pipes on the struts seem to be, HP feed from the control block at the let, then 2 bleed back pipes on the rubber gaiter?
Correct
KP wrote:How easy is it to remove the pipes from the rubber gaiter and put them into the new one?
Remove? Easy. Put back in? :twisted: You need a couple of pairs of very long needle nosed pliers, and key hole surgery skills!
KP wrote:I think knowing Cit prices i'll take my chances on a used part with sphere and just wash it down in brake cleaner and paint the area and repeat on the other side.
There is a diameter change at RP 9823, so you need to make sure you get the right ones - there will be a difference for hydractive / non hydractive as well. New ones are £153 / £158 depending on date :roll:
KP wrote:Such a shame that its been made from such a soft metal .
Yes, the cylinder is very light, but I can't believe it is to save weight - perhaps avoids differential expansion problems.

I see from service.citroen that the C5 unit is bolted in rather than clipped in as well, so that is another possible (probable!) cause of irritation #-o
Richard W
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Does service Citroen allow you to search by reg to confirm rpo at all Richard?

Also would part number 5272.63 be right for a mk1 52 plate c5 non hydractive hatch? ;)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Rp on label on door shut - can check with vin on service.Citroen but we're away this weekend so I can't!
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you send me the last 8 digits of your chassis/VIN No. i will get you the price and part No.'s,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years