Terraclean

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

corsehf
My Cars:

Terraclean

Post by corsehf »

I have had a leaflet drop through my door advertising this new product which claims to decoke your engine as well as cleaning all internal sensors, DPF, Cat, EGR valve etc...
Good looking product - bold claims - but does it work!!

http://www.terraclean.co.uk/

The searches I have seen have mixed reviews but mostly positive.

Has anyone tried it yet??
Andy

2003 C5 2.2HDi Exclusive SE Est

2001 C5 2.2HDi SX Est (gone to C5 Heaven!)
2001 Omega 2.2DTi Est (stolen by Ex!!)
1997 Xantia 2.1TD SX
1994 ZX TD Volcane
Lancia Stratos Replica
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Re: Terraclean

Post by SaabC5 »

I see that Edd China bloke used it on Wheeler Dealers a couple of months back, it drastically reduced the emissions from the car and it idled better. I was considering getting my 2.2HDi done but was waiting for somebody else to try it and report on the outcome. :lol:
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

As a rule I'm generally pretty sceptical of these sort of things, lumped in with halfords snake oil and the like. Solvents don't come much better than the petrol that the engine is exposed to anyway and the fluid used in the Terraclean process cannnot be much different to petrol as otherwise it would not run or would cause problems.
I think most venues charge around £100 for the Terraclean process and I'm sure that money would be better spent on more frequent servicing.
More than likely is that any unquantified percieved benefit said to result from this process, may be explained by the placebo effect.
Just my twopence worth. If any on this forum do take the plunge I'd be more than happy to hear results
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
TooMany2cvs
My Cars:

Post by TooMany2cvs »

411514 wrote:Solvents don't come much better than the petrol that the engine is exposed to anyway
I suspect that the references to "DPF" and "HDi" mean that there isn't much petrol exposure going on so far in this thread...

But I'd agree with the presumption of cold-pressed extra-virgin python. One thing that raises my suspicions beyond their usual base level is not just the references to "molecular injection" and similar bullshit bingo, but that they're very coy about how it works. It's not an oil additive. It's not a fuel additive. It requires a machine that goes ping. But it's fuel-type specific, and a google suggests at least one person's been told it "doesn't work for carb engines". Yet their website pics show it on an old Hillman. Yet it can't affect the fuel too badly, else it'd risk poisoning cats, increasing wear of common-rail pumps or just being plain stripped out by fuel filters. And there isn't much "regular servicing" required for the fuel system. Changing the oil won't help "all the internal sensors" (ALL? Fuel, coolant, air, exhaust?) or DPFs or EGRs or all the other bits that are allegedly fixed like magic by this...

So what is it and how does it work?
Adrian
toomany2cvs (a) gmail.com
A miscellany of motorised silliness, from 0.75bhp to 9ft tall.
http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I do rather agree with your sentiments Adrian...

Finest Snake Oil by the looks of it...

Unless of course somebody knows better...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Throttle body cleaner works.

Injector cleaner works.

Brake fluid or water through the system, both work.

Why could it not be a blend incorporating any or all of the above?
TooMany2cvs
My Cars:

Re:

Post by TooMany2cvs »

addo wrote:Throttle body cleaner works.
Yes, it does - applied neat, straight to where it's needed.
Injector cleaner works.
The "add-to-fuel" goop? Not very well at all. Not a patch on dismantling, putting the injectors into an ultrasonic cleaner, and replacing the worn bits.
Brake fluid or water through the system, both work.
Dribbled down the carb throat, old-school-style? In a limited way - by providing a thermal shock straight to the build-up of carbon in the combustion chamber. Which then has to go somewhere else - through the exhaust. I'm not convinved that's a great thing, in these days of DPFs and cats.
Why could it not be a blend incorporating any or all of the above?
It might be. But we won't know, unless they say what it is. The nearest they get to any kind of technical detail is "molecular injection", whatever the hell that means.
Adrian
http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Re:

Post by CitroJim »

TooMany2cvs wrote:The nearest they get to any kind of technical detail is "molecular injection", whatever the hell that means.
What it means?

That's easy...

Bollocks...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

TooMany2cvs wrote:. The nearest they get to any kind of technical detail is "molecular injection", whatever the hell that means.
Easy.

"Bollocks"
TooMany2cvs
My Cars:

Post by TooMany2cvs »

CitroJim wrote:Bollocks...
Northern_Mike wrote:"Bollocks"
<grin> Three out of three, I think that's a consensus...
Adrian
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Whoops. Should have hit refresh before I posted that.

At least there seems to be a consensus on what "molecular injection" means..
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Nah, they're just reassuring punters that it's not introduced as plasma, or something nasty like that :-D
Come to think of it, some plasmas would make a pretty good job of cleaning up the engine internals...
corsehf
My Cars:

Post by corsehf »

That'll be a 'NO' then!

I know my Dad, if he was still around would have been sceptical as he was a very skilled mechanic but he would also have like to see this machine in action and to see results at first hand.
Andy

2003 C5 2.2HDi Exclusive SE Est

2001 C5 2.2HDi SX Est (gone to C5 Heaven!)
2001 Omega 2.2DTi Est (stolen by Ex!!)
1997 Xantia 2.1TD SX
1994 ZX TD Volcane
Lancia Stratos Replica