LHM filter removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

LHM filter removal

Post by isisalar »

Hi guys. My HDI is desperately in need of a hydraflush and the filters must be really clogged. It will be a couple of weeks until I can do the flush so yesterday, with a few spare moments, I thought I'd give the filters a clean. I have done this job a few times. To remind myself I had a quick look in the BOL and this shows the assembly removed with the pipework connected, my pipework still has the factory clips on and with the limited time, I attempted the removal but gave up on it after a while and it's now on the list for tomorrow. Is it possible to do connected, or should I invest in some jubilee clips and some side cutters.
Also, is there anything other than petrol suitable for cleaning the filters, eg. white spirit.
Just had a thought, does unbolting the tank give the necessary clearance to remove the filter?
I'm thinking that the presence of those factory clips could mean it's on its original LHM, notwithstanding the FSH.
Kind regards
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Buy a Sealey or similar "Clic Clip" tool. This allows R&R of the original clips.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: LHM filter removal

Post by Xantidote »

It may be a bit fiddly, but I've managed to remove the LHM reservoir without first disconnecting any pipes, though I recall some pipe bracket had to be removed. To minimise spillage, I syphoned as much of the LHM out to start with, as you have to tilt the reservoir to get it clear of the filters etc.

There will be some escaping LHM, so cover the gearbox etc with newspapers and rags before you start. Also, have the bottom half of a 4 pint plastic milk container close to hand, which you lower the filter assembly into, so as to minimise spillage and to keep it from picking up any dirt.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Re the LHM sloshing out, I'm not doing a change so I thought I'd put it on high which would leave me with a less full resevoir.
Re the clips addo they're not the evil spring loaded ones, they're definitely not re usable, I think they're crimped on.
How about the white spirit?
Cheers
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

isisalar wrote: they're definitely not re usable, I think they're crimped on.
l
When I had a Xantia I cut through the clips with a junior hacksaw, then fitted small jubilee clips.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

When I had Xantia I always re-used the crimped on clips after releasing them.
I used a thin/small flat end screwdriver for releasing. Insert the screw driver end under and lift up.
It pops up open. Once it is loose don't try to wide open and remove it but just move away along side the pipe.
In order to refix I used pliers, squeezing over the "bump" and locking again.
Difficult to explain but it's extremely easy if you get the idea :)
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hello isisalar. When you started this post you said you were going to do a hydraflush cycle. I would be inclined to wait and clean the filters at the same time. As you will be removing the reservoir (to get it cleaned out of the old LHM) you can move it about to help withdraw the filter assembly. I managed to do this on Gracie both when starting and ending the hydraflush cycle recently. To minimise on spillage I used a small hand pump to get most of the fluids out.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Hi HellRazor. I was so enamored with the improvement in the behavior of the car now the temperature has got up to a heady 10 degrees+ and the LHM has thinned out I thought I'd at least help it along a bit and give the filters a chance to catch some more dirt before the flush.
In the event the filters were not too bad at all and it hasn't made a lot of difference, still got all the symptoms of needing a flush, so I'm now even more desperate to do so.
I was in the local motor factors this morning to get a litre of LHM and they have a liquid transfer pump for £6, would certainly make the job a lot easier when I come to do it.
To clean the filters, as well as a good swish around in the white spirit, I found that stuffing the filters with kitchen roll and then using contact cleaner aerosol with the tube in place displaced the dirt and transfered it to the paper nicely. I obviously waited for them to warm up a bit before handling.
The LHM is now a lovely golden colour almost identical IIRC to hydraflush. When bleeding the brakes I don't think it will look that different so can anyone say how much I should get out of the brake lines to ensure they are full of flush?
Kind regards
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, the rear brakes will need the most (distance from pump to brakes), but IIRC about 0.5l, front are about half this (but experts will correct me on this if I am wrong). If you are using a clear pipe to bleed the brakes you might see the colour change, even if it is slight. There is a post re spheres, hydraflush, and brake bleeding;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 22&t=24595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

I've managed to do the hydraflush today, nice improvement in general suspension behaviour but still think it needs a centre sphere to be A1. Googling soon.
The LHM I took out looked like used engine oil!
The hydraflush by comparison was like water.
Now on with the brake bleeding.
Cheers
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Do NOT leave the hydraflush in for more than 3,000 miles. Although it cleans out the pipework, etc., it does not have the same level of lubrication as LHM, and will start to cause problems if left in for too long (hence why they say 5,000KM, which is equal to 3,000 miles). You may not see a rapid change in the performance of the hydraulics, but it does happen. Citroen themselves recommend changing the LHM every 36,000 miles, and running a hydraflush cycle every 108,000 miles.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

I could feel it wasn't quite as slippery as the LHM and I certainly won't be leaving it too long. Can't wait to get the new sphere on now, and see how good hydractive can be.
Cheers
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white