The government has extended VED exemption to 1974 for cars

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Welshy_Pete
My Cars: 306 hdi 1999 + 306 hdi 2000

The government has extended VED exemption to 1974 for cars

Post by Welshy_Pete »

Just like cars built before 1973, from April 1 2014 a vehicle manufactured before 1 January 1974 will be exempt from paying VED. That means, come 2014, you don't have to pay road tax on cars that were built through '73, so there's a new wave of classics that avoid the unfortunate task of handing over up to £1065 in annual taxes. =D>

link
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/Galler ... 2013-03-26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Re: The government has extended VED exemption to 1974 for ca

Post by andy5 »

You'd think that they could have moved it forward a year at a time for the last few years as well, instead of staying stationary for a while
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Yup this means that more Ds and others fall into the free tax. . Where the cut off was K/L plates its now M/N plates now..

Also means more VW Beatles too etc. . Great news
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It is great news and hopefully a start to the reintroduction of the rolling exemption..

I reckon even if they set it at 20 years the amount of VED they'd loose would be minimal as there's relatively few cars of that age and older in regular use now.

Trouble is, until those in power loose their wretched 'green' fetish based on CO2 emissions then allowing older cars to run VED-Free send a message that even they know the green agenda is complete bollocks and nothing more than a tax collection device.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

That would be good if they do roll it on each year...

Bit of trivia for you - when this is brought in there will be 3 CXs in the UK that'll be Tax Free (we know of three N Reg cars)! :-D

Makes the gold one dad took to the X Rally a tempting proposition to keep being one of the three...

Got a little while to wait for the C6, though... £465... :roll: #-o
Franklin
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Unfortunately it is always about money, just the excuses vary.

I seem to remember (I was young then!) there were plans to restart this but something along the lines of it would encourage people to run older cars stopped them.

Thing is to get a car still in a decent condition at that age takes more than usual 'servicing' so they do not know what they are talking about (as usual)

It should go onto a rolling scheme really, they say 90% of the emissions and energy is used during manufacture anyway if it was a "green" issue which is really is not in reality.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote: they say 90% of the emissions and energy is used during manufacture anyway if it was a "green" issue which is really is not in reality.
Exactly! So if it really was a green issue they'd encourage the likes of you and I to do low mileages in our older cars Andy by offering us a hefty VED discount...

It will never happen though even though it makes perfect sense and is true because as you say, it's all about money.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
TooMany2cvs
My Cars:

Post by TooMany2cvs »

Citroening wrote:Bit of trivia for you - when this is brought in there will be 3 CXs in the UK that'll be Tax Free (we know of three N Reg cars)! :-D
"N-reg" is irrelevant, Franklin. Those CXs weren't 1973 built - that's the important thing.
Adrian
toomany2cvs (a) gmail.com
A miscellany of motorised silliness, from 0.75bhp to 9ft tall.
http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

CitroJim wrote:
spider wrote: they say 90% of the emissions and energy is used during manufacture anyway if it was a "green" issue which is really is not in reality.
Exactly! So if it really was a green issue they'd encourage the likes of you and I to do low mileages in our older cars Andy by offering us a hefty VED discount...

It will never happen though even though it makes perfect sense and is true because as you say, it's all about money.
Driving a new car is NOT a green issue either! Its a Ploy to keep people in jobs building cars.

VW Couldn't thank us MORE with the stupid scrappage scheme, they were really rubbing their hands together.

If the exempt went rolling then more and more cars would fall under it as they last longer more and more would get in it. Then the goverment would NEVER have any income from VED Free cars.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

TooMany2cvs wrote:"N-reg" is irrelevant, Franklin. Those CXs weren't 1973 built - that's the important thing.
True - my mistake Adrian. What I was trying to say was if they decided to have it rolling, then in a few years they'll be tax free - the first of the tax free CXs...

That's a big if, too! :lol:
Franklin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Shocking to think a CX might be on the cusp of being tax-free. Shocking in the way that it seems like it was only yesterday the CX was announced. When you remember things like that you know you're getting old :roll: That's the shocking bit :twisted:
Jim