how much do you spnd a week on fuel

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Fake Concern
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Fake Concern »

addo wrote:Interesting that many people either can't or won't address the originally posed question - which I would have thought crux of the topic!
It's more fun going all around the houses!
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Re: Re:

Post by rory_perrett »

Fake Concern wrote:
addo wrote:Interesting that many people either can't or won't address the originally posed question - which I would have thought crux of the topic!
It's more fun going all around the houses!
Depends on what the original question was
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: how much do you spnd a week on fuel

Post by myglaren »

I think you need to be a bit more precise on your fuel usage so you know how much you are using - only a nerdy approach will give you a reasonable result.

Brim the tank each time and ask for a VAT receipt, note the odometer reading on the receipt and feed the results into a spreadsheet.
(Alternatively you could plug the results into Fuelly as some other members do.
I can't vouch for this as I have never used it.)

Over at least 5 refills calculate the actual consumption.
Then you can compare that with the consumption of a typical HDi.

There will be variations depending on the actual car, terrain and driving style.

My consumption appears to be improving slightly but on the daily drive which is four miles to work, four miles back and a couple of shopping trips of around three to five miles each my C5 2L Hdi 110 returns a miserable 34mpg.

Once you have some reasonable calculations then you can compare the cost of changing cars with the potential fuel savings - and possibly factor in reduced road tax with the HDi.

I am aware that my fuel costs are not typical of an HDi but strangely enough the previous C5 (estate) was just the same and many efforts to improve it were completely futile.
My previous car, a Honda Accord, 2L petrol, gave very similar results.

The Xantia 1.9 TD and its predecessor, a 1.9RD BX were both far more economical but were also used much more extensively, up to 1,000 miles a week.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Xac wrote:I now spend under £16 or £32 a week on fuel depending on whether I need 20L or 40L
Most I'll pay is under £48 for 60L
Much cheaper than if I had a hdi
We have had this debate before. . Its fine if you have time to fart around filtering old stuff out. Which many people haven't.. and then the price of veggie in the shop isn't much cheaper and getting it in bulk is something not every one can do either

The refinement of the hdi over the td is far superior and the extra MPG is good enough still for me to not be messing around with it..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

citroenxm wrote:
Xac wrote:I now spend under £16 or £32 a week on fuel depending on whether I need 20L or 40L
Most I'll pay is under £48 for 60L
Much cheaper than if I had a hdi
We have had this debate before. . Its fine if you have time to fart around filtering old stuff out. Which many people haven't.. and then the price of veggie in the shop isn't much cheaper and getting it in bulk is something not every one can do either

The refinement of the hdi over the td is far superior and the extra MPG is good enough still for me to not be messing around with it..
Heck if I could get old stuff and filter it I'd be paying even less.
I just buy it and pour it in, takes less time than filling at the pump and no mess.
Diesel's price just keeps going up and up while veg has come down recently.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

So i just buy i the shop or bulk and just put it strieght in the veg oil
I thought you have to cook it first mess around with it
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: Heck if I could get old stuff and filter it I'd be paying even less.
Even that seems valuable now judging by how people have been caught trying to nick it from some fast-food establishments... It's an odd old world when people are more keen to acquire the oil the 'food' was cooked in rather than the 'food' itself. I do use the term 'food' very loosely when speaking of fast-food outlets... It always gives me some wry amusement when one such outfit refers to itself as a 'restaurant' :roll:

Anyway, original point. Yes, the HDi is considerably more frugal than the XUD engines due to it being a DI and having a higher thermal efficiency.

Fuel prices don't hugely bother me simply because I live close to work and rarely venture far these days.. Gosh I don't even drive anywhere now for shopping, not when Mr. Tesco will deliver it for £3.50 and save me a load of untold hassle into the bargain...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

At the moment not a great deal as I don't have to go anywhere (I can't really go too far anyway for health reasons) so I'd estimate about £10 if that. I guess that's one redeeming feature of the TUD, its exceptional frugal although I only tend to potter about in it anyway, usually at very light pedal depressions. Having said that it does not appear to go any quicker if you do try. :)

The 205 was about the same although going back two years or so and fuel prices so that would of been about £15 by now I guess, that was quite economical too when driven sensibly ( :oops: ) but the turbo whine is quite addictive. :twisted: more so in a light car.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

jacksun1987 wrote:So i just buy i the shop or bulk and just put it strieght in the veg oil
I thought you have to cook it first mess around with it
You've got a SD rather than TD right?
Pretty certain they all came with Lucas fuel pumps so not veg friendly.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: Pretty certain they all came with Lucas fuel pumps so not veg friendly.
No, vegetable oil is death to a Lucas pump. Do not even attempt it...

Jacksun, if you do want to try veg be sure you do have a Bosch pump and the best way to do that is to post up a picture of it so we can make a positive identification for you...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

approx £50 a month in fuel for 40L, 20l diesel/20L veg, been running it all over winter mixed, may build up a bit more a veg supply over the summer, but tesco still do the Veg oil in 2 5L for a tenner in the polish isle, - they do have a benefit after all! ;-)
Mother said she put some money in my account the other day so i could put some Decent fuel in the car! hahaha! bless her!!!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I do about 420 miles in a typical week but there are many weeks which see me do a lot more miles. My typical 420 (or just over) mile week costs me around £50 in the Xantia HDi, which is about 52MPG-ish.

Going on your sums, 40 miles a day - five days a week is 200 miles. At 1.43ppl this works out to around 43mpg, not too far off the typcal 1.9TD drivers, it would seem.

You would have to do some sums to see if the extra money to buy another car and the repairs which that car might need (always something on a car of such an age, which you can't guess at, so its difficult) will work out cheaper in the long run. Bearing in mind road tax will be the same and insurance might be more ... or less.

If your TD is going well and doesnt need a fortune spending I would be inclined to hang on to it. Better the devil you know etc etc.

If I were you and wanted to spend less on fuel, how about trying to work out your actual MPG and see if you can improve it with different driving styles, routes to work, checking tyre pressures regularily etc.

I would get it serviced though, they really should be done every 6000-8000 miles.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Zero :-D Running on a WVO and misfuel blend, and as I'm legally obligated to log my usage, I know that the 406 has averaged 43mpg over the last 18,000 miles/1 year without any particular care. I would imagine a Xantia will be much the same.

As for filtering, I can run off 150 litres of fuel with about an hours hands on time, seems like a good deal to me.

All veggie aside, if you have an old car and it's still reliable, keep it. Buying another car might mean buying someone else's troubles, and any small amount you might save on fuel will be swallowed up very quickly.

Additionally, look into misfuel even if you aren't interested in veg. I collected 50 litres of fuel recently that was 85% diesel, free tank of fuel if you have an XUD. Or if it has a higher petrol content, then blend it with pump diesel to safe amounts. You could knock 40% off your fuel price with very little effort.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

My fuel light has a mind on its own. And the needle does as well came on sunday. Drove about 10 miles. Got in today on the way to work. The light wasn't on. Until i drove about 5 miles down the road.
It comes on for a bit at the start then goes off. Then stay on a while park up. Then its not on until i start driving.
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

Just serviced mine and yes it has a Bosch pump