Update on pulsing pedal etc(Xantia)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

harryb.48
My Cars:

Update on pulsing pedal etc(Xantia)

Post by harryb.48 »

Hi All,
Just to recap : Bought Xantia Estate less than 2 weeks ago,seemed to have all the standard problems I`ve now heard of{clicking noise,pulsing brake pedal,front-end rattle at low speed,car sinking when left} - you may wonder why I bought it ! The truth is I didn`t notice anything initially on my short test drive but only later when I went for a longer drive and even then I wasn`t sure what was normal for this strange car.
So now I`ve fitted new drop links-cured rattle -and eventually got round to changing the accu. sphere(during a break in the rain) which has REDUCED the pulsing pedal but there is still a bit there,but at least clicking noise has gone.
Also performed Citaerobics and car only sinks slightly now - probably within spec.
As suggested by Anders,I checked normal height ,back and front and found the rear to be down by 3 cm,front is spot- on.
As I see things now,I have the two problems - slight pulsing ( Do I now need to bleed brakes?) and the low(er)rear end (Change rear spheres?)[V]I will be most grateful for any suggestions and would also like to thank everyone for their help and comments so far which have saved me a lot of time and no doubt money[:D]
Best Regards
Harry
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I to have a front end rattle at anything up tp 40-50mph.Seems to be worse when car is cold,although seems to be comming more constant.I had a look under neath,but drop links look fine.I take it they are about 8-10" long,from bottom of arm to strut area?Are they easy to change?
Time for you to help now!
Thanks
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

Hi neil
Yes the arms you describe are the drop links - about 10-12" long and from strut to anti-roll bar.It seems certain that`s your problem but you can tell by just feeling them when when car is in normal position -give them a shake/pull and if there is ANY movement they are worn.
Fairly easy to replace but you need to hold the ball-joint bolts with a 5mm allen key and mine were very stiff -I would suggest you use some penetrating oil before dismantling and you have to jack up the front and support on axle stands(or similar)-but all in all relatively easy and not too dear - about £14 each I think.
Hope that helps and good luck
Harry
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Ok thanks.Searching for DROP LINKS it would seem that is the problem.Apart from new spheres soon that i`ll do anyway,the suspension is all ok.Had a new rear height corrector & accum sphere fitted in june,garage was honest(nice for once!)& said spheres were fine.I`ve done 33k in it with lots of towing(apart from today,see BLOODY TYPICAL!!) with no record of them being done before that.Looks like droplinks 1st,spheres later then.Thanks Harry.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi, I had a similar problem with a pulsating brake pedal, and I disregarded it for some considerable time, until I got really bad vibrations through the steering at about 60-70mph. Had wheel balance and alignment checked as I thought they were the cause, to no avail. Did a brake pad and front disc change prior to MOT, hey presto, excellent brakes and no pulsating or vibration.
I had a CX with a similar problem, again I had a front disc with cracks in it.
As these are service items, would suggest you look closely at them, check the run out and disc thickness. Any doubts, change them, as it cure my problem.
My car? Xantia 2.0 16V estate, 200k miles on the clock.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The attachment nuts on drop links can be a real pain to remove- they sometimes seem to be impossible to remove neatly- BUT, since you're never going to use them again, why not save yourself some time and cut off the nuts with an angle grinder. Much faster.
//NiSk
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Ye`h,i`ve read alot about the nuts being stubbon.I have a small angle grinder.It will have to wait for a coulple more weeks yet before i do them as i`ve no time.Maybe get car in air next week & do the checks mentioned.
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

Hello again Neil,
Yes the drop link nuts are a real pain but I didn`t want to put you off ,as Nisk says you can cut them off - I ended up doing two with a hacksaw as no angle grinder available.
Good luck
Harry