Vivid Dreams....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Re: Vivid Dreams....

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
Northern_Mike wrote: After sitting through the entire 12 series of Air Crash investigations/Mayday in 12 days - six episodes a night, I had some amazing dreams about seeing, or being in air crashes.
Bloody hell Mike :shock: You're made of some stern stuff... In small does yes but... I've seen a few and they have put me off flying for ever and ever and ever. I will never ever fly again. Never..

Do you still fly?

I should add that theses sorts of programmes are not what keeps me on the ground. There are other factors such as claustrophobia amongst others but those sort of programmes do reinforce it somewhat..

They say that a great deal about ones personality can be worked out from analysing dreams. Dreaming of nuclear war is a worrying one I must say..
I find the engineering and investigation aspect of the ACI series fascinating. How they solve the mysteries of some of the accidents, when there's little more than a few fragments of plane left is quite frankly amazing.

I do fly, I don't like it. These programmes help the fear I have though, it just shows what work is done to prevent such awful events, and in many cases, just how bloody good the two or three chaps sat at the front of the plane are when it really all does go downhill. Two quotes that stick in my mind from the series, both regarding UA232, the DC10 at Sioux City which crash landed after the crew managed to fly it for an hour with only two engines for control, sadly, it crashed and lives were lost.

Capt Al Haynes : "We were just trying to do our job and work out why the aircraft was still in the sky, because if the situation was the way it was supposed to be, we shouldn't be in the sky.."

Capt Denny Fitch : "I think your attitude determines your altitude, and if you think you can't, you won't.."

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (if you like that sort of thing, the C4 Series from the 90s, "Black Box" is way better than ACI - no "dramatisations" for a start. Just facts)

The calmness with which the crew describe events is amazing too.

Jim - the claustrophobia is what I can't stand about flying. The actual act of being in the air doesn't bother me. I'm not wholly keen on spending 16 hours going to Colombia (inc stopovers). I'll fly separately to Adriana and Sam, take the pills, and sleep all the way as I usually do.

Going to Oz will be a very trying journey..

Nuclear war - I've always been interested in explosives! Nothing more than that. If there was one thing I could witness, without being harmed, or without it harming anyone else, it would be a nuclear explosion.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

During the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962, Whitby was bombed with a series of nuclear missiles. I watched them explode from my window, the noise was unbelievable and woke me up - it was actually a series of lightening strikes.
Very vivid though.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote: *A SEP Field is more properly known as a "Someone Else's Problem Field" and was a fortuitous spin-off from development work on the Bistromath interstellar drive in the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy...
Having never read any of the books, I do not have a SEP field, or a SEP field generator.

I do, however, have an IDGAF generator.

You can work out what that means yourselves..
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

myglaren wrote:During the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962, Whitby was bombed with a series of nuclear missiles. I watched them explode from my window, the noise was unbelievable and woke me up - it was actually a series of lightening strikes.
Very vivid though.
Now you say that, I recall the air-raid siren in Waterfoot being activated by some drunks in the middle of the night, sometime in 1980, and that invaded my dreams and terrified me.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

CitroJim wrote:Had a funny one yesterday at work. I had a PC that I didn't know/couldn't remember the password for but needed desperately to log into it. I built it a couple of years ago so I would have set the admin password originally but despite trying all my usual suspects nothing worked.

Last night I had a dream about that PC and dreamed I successfully logged into it. I dreamed it vividly enough (as I do) to see the password used and remembered it...

This morning I went to work tried the password I used in the dream and it worked...

Anyone else had similar?
you wasn't rubbing your crystal ball/s :oops: :shock: :twisted: :-D :wink: in your dream/bed by any chance hunny :dom:

maybe they should put a bed in a quiet room somewhere at work, for you go to remember things you had forgotten ( have a little nap )
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

citronut wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Had a funny one yesterday at work. I had a PC that I didn't know/couldn't remember the password for but needed desperately to log into it. I built it a couple of years ago so I would have set the admin password originally but despite trying all my usual suspects nothing worked.

Last night I had a dream about that PC and dreamed I successfully logged into it. I dreamed it vividly enough (as I do) to see the password used and remembered it...

This morning I went to work tried the password I used in the dream and it worked...

Anyone else had similar?
you wasn't rubbing your crystal ball/s :oops: :shock: :twisted: :-D :wink: in your dream/bed by any chance hunny :dom:

maybe they should put a bed in a quiet room somewhere at work, for you go to remember things you had forgotten ( have a little nap )

We have one, it's great. We use it at night for our hour's lunch break. Great idea!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Anyone remember the docu film Threads?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Xac wrote:Anyone remember the docu film Threads?
Yep, damned good film that.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I'm so glad I've just watched that.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Very cheerful isn't it Mike :)
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

myglaren wrote:Very cheerful isn't it Mike :)
Hmm.

I've watched Threads, The Day After (American thing, similar idea, sH1t3), and When the Wind Blows, one after the other today.

I shall report back on my disturbed dreams tomorrow...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The beeb got into a spot of trouble when they set off the massive petrol bomb in Sheffield to create the mushroom cloud.
They hadn't asked permission or informed anyone of it!

There's another film of the same ilk called The War Game made in the 60s and banned from release at the time due to its upsetting content. Armed police putting radiation victims out of their misery, although amazingly they believed home delivered ration boxes would be possible!

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Not sure if I have seen that. Will watch it this evening.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Jim, have you read anything by Neil Gaiman? He is a very talented man (author and script writer amongst other things). I have one of his books if you want to borrow it, 'Neverwhere', which was originally a screenplay commissioned by the BBC. Weird but very clever. He also was responsible for 'Stardust' and 'American Gods'.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Jim, have you read anything by Neil Gaiman? He is a very talented man (author and script writer amongst other things). I have one of his books if you want to borrow it, 'Neverwhere', which was originally a screenplay commissioned by the BBC. Weird but very clever. He also was responsible for 'Stardust' and 'American Gods'.

Combine Neil Gaiman with Terry Pratchett and read Good Omens, a sort of spoof take on the Omen film.
Very funny and very interesting.

DIY sphere tool