Vivid Dreams....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Vivid Dreams....

Post by CitroJim »

Had a funny one yesterday at work. I had a PC that I didn't know/couldn't remember the password for but needed desperately to log into it. I built it a couple of years ago so I would have set the admin password originally but despite trying all my usual suspects nothing worked.

Last night I had a dream about that PC and dreamed I successfully logged into it. I dreamed it vividly enough (as I do) to see the password used and remembered it...

This morning I went to work tried the password I used in the dream and it worked...

Anyone else had similar?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Vivid Dreams....

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well done (if an unusual way to get the information!). The human brain is considered to be the most powerful 'computer' known, even if we don't know HOW it works.

I would assume you reset the password back to one of the usual suspects?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Indeed, the brain is pretty incredible...
Hell Razor5543 wrote: I would assume you reset the password back to one of the usual suspects?
Yes, I did. Not going to get caught like that again James...

I should have said, it's not unusual for me to dream a solution to a problem. Many times I have but normally it's solutions to car problems although many work problems have been solved like that too...

Highly vivid dreams are actually a serious problem for me. They happen many times a night, every night. I have excessive REM sleep and little really good deep sleep with frequent awakenings. It's all part and parcel of the ME and there's no cure for it. Something I have to live with but as you can see, it does have its useful side on occasions...

If I go top bed stressed or worried about something they tend to be horrible...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That would suggest you have a more powerful sub-conscious mind than average. The trick would be getting it to work for you more, and against you less. I wonder if doing something relaxing just before you go to bed would help reduce stress or worry problems enough for you not to have nightmares, but to come up with a solution to the problem that caused the stress/worry issue?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Luckily James it's very unusual for me to go to bed stressed and worried so it's not a big problem.

I work very hard these days to avoid as much stress and worry as I possibly can and I've got good at it...

I put SEP fields* around lots of potential problems and that works a treat.. SEP Fields was the best invention ever...

*A SEP Field is more properly known as a "Someone Else's Problem Field" and was a fortuitous spin-off from development work on the Bistromath interstellar drive in the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I remember that, and how it could have helped that magician to successfully turn a mega-mountain invisible; just paint it pink and fit it with SEP field generators! Turning it into a moon didn't count, so he lost the bet.

EDIT; Just did a Google search and found it!

The ultra-famous sciento-magician Effrafax of Wug once bet his life that, given a year, he could render the great megamountain Magramal entirely invisible.

Having spent most of the year jiggling around with immense Lux-O-Valves and Refracto-Nullifiers and Spectrum-Bypass-O-Matics, he realized, with nine hours to go, that he wasn't going to make it.

So, he and his friends, and his friends' friends, and his friends' friends' friends, and his friends' friends' friends' friends, and some rather less good friends of theirs who happened to own a major stellar trucking company, put in what now is widely recognized as being the hardest night's work in history, and, sure enough, on the following day, Magramal was no longer visible. Effrafax lost his bet - and therefore his life - simply because some pedantic adjudicating official noticed (a) that when walking around the area that Magramal ought to be he didn't trip over or break his nose on anything, and (b) a suspicious-looking extra moon.

The Somebody Else's Problem field is much simpler and more effective, and what's more can be run for over a hundred years on a single torch battery. This is because it relies on people's natural disposition not to see anything they don't want to, weren't expecting, or can't explain. If Effrafax had painted the mountain pink and erected a cheap and simple Somebody Else's Problem field on it, then people would have walked past the mountain, round it, even over it, and simply never have noticed that the thing was there.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's it James :-D

I really must read the book again. I had the belief it was one of Slarty Bardfast's little devices aboard the spaceship Bistromath...

I take it you're a fellow fan of HHGTTG then?
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Yes, I think I have read all five parts of the trilogy!

Slartibartfast did use the SEP on the ship Bistromath (which was shaped like an Italian restaurant, for the Bistromathic drive and the SEP systems to work!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slartibartfast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology ... the_Galaxy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have you tried Terry Pratchet?
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 28 Mar 2013, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I have some amazing vivid dreams, mostly sci-fi or fantasy, with Aliens, sometimes zombies, now and again Airsoft (although I haven't played in years).
I've died in a dream (via nuclear explosion) and lets just say the afterlife wasn't pleasant.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

James, excellent. I now understand why I always connect the SEP field with Slarty and Bistromath...

Indeed, the trilogy of five books :-D I read them on average about every other year...

Tried Mr. Pratchet once but couldn't get into it... I'm funny like that... If a book, film or TV show doesn't grab me within about ten seconds it's a lost cause. Therefore I mainly read and watch non-fiction. fact is often more interesting than fiction but there are exceptions like HHGTTG and Red Dwarf...

And Big Bang Theory..

And How I Met Your Mother...

The latter two are recent shows that have grabbed me and I really enjoy them despite them being Yank...

Ahh well I guess we'd better say 'so long and thanks for all the fish' to that little bit of off-topic or this thread will suddenly get very HHGTTG-heavy...
Xac wrote:sometimes zombies
Did they look like your work colleagues?
Jim

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:Had a funny one yesterday at work. I had a PC that I didn't know/couldn't remember the password for but needed desperately to log into it. I built it a couple of years ago so I would have set the admin password originally but despite trying all my usual suspects nothing worked.

Last night I had a dream about that PC and dreamed I successfully logged into it. I dreamed it vividly enough (as I do) to see the password used and remembered it...

This morning I went to work tried the password I used in the dream and it worked...

Anyone else had similar?
With work stuff - yes, more than once. I've also had it with fixing cars too!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Xac wrote:II've died in a dream (via nuclear explosion) and lets just say the afterlife wasn't pleasant.
I've had the nuclear war dream too Xac, but I didn't die. It was most unpleasant and terrifying.

After sitting through the entire 12 series of Air Crash investigations/Mayday in 12 days - six episodes a night, I had some amazing dreams about seeing, or being in air crashes.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Northern_Mike wrote: After sitting through the entire 12 series of Air Crash investigations/Mayday in 12 days - six episodes a night, I had some amazing dreams about seeing, or being in air crashes.
Bloody hell Mike :shock: You're made of some stern stuff... In small does yes but... I've seen a few and they have put me off flying for ever and ever and ever. I will never ever fly again. Never..

Do you still fly?

I should add that theses sorts of programmes are not what keeps me on the ground. There are other factors such as claustrophobia amongst others but those sort of programmes do reinforce it somewhat..

They say that a great deal about ones personality can be worked out from analysing dreams. Dreaming of nuclear war is a worrying one I must say..
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The world was at war with Africa, I don't know why, but I was on a plane off the coast when the bombs started dropping, the EMP causing the plane to crash into the sea not far from shore and definitely in the radiation zone.
Along with several other passengers I was in an inflatable life raft, we could see another nuke on it's way much closer to us so had a choice, quick death by staying on the surface for as long as possible, or try to dive down under the blast and then suffer a long slow radiation death. I chose the former. The blast destroyed the raft and I was in the water, everything was black and I tried despirately to swim to the surface and then I saw my right arm all skeletal but still movable and was amazed to see how it worked.
Then I was in something like a cross between an abattoir, a NY sewer and an underground station, wearing a blood covered rubber apron. I wasn't in control of my body and I woke myself up.

When I was 5 I used to have recurring dreams when ill, one was monochrome (all my other dreams are colour), and the picture was grainy, it involved two large blobs, a bit like giant broad beans, that were somehow able to communicate with me.
Another one I used to have invovled some young children in a wreckers yard, with a circular high wooden fence around it. Beyond the fence was only darkness. I was positioned up high over one side of the junkyard, while my adversary (an evil entity) was directly across from me goading the children on as they were tapping an atom bomb with a hammer, while I begged them not to.
Then there was the dream involving a yacht trip around the world. I'm at the dock on the boat, people are cheering and celebrating my starting of the challenge, I call down to someone on the dock and say something like "I say, you wouldn't mind untying that rope would you?" and then I'm the person on the dock, and I mutter to myself as I untie it, in a really spiteful and jealous tone "Who wants to go around the world anyway"
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've had plenty of vivid dreams; been shot, stabbed, mad fights with people, break-ups - cars don't feature often. Pretty much just constant raging against the world's dunderheads - like real life!