Weather warnings?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

stu9

Re: Weather warnings?

Post by stu9 »

CitroJim wrote:
myglaren wrote:This island really does have a terrible grit fetish :evil: No bloody need of it, that's for sure...

When I hear lots of people complaining that nobody knows how to drive on ice and snow or even in bad weather we as a nation have a serious problem that needs addressing urgently.

What do you mean there's no need for it..... granted, there's sometimes they're out when there's no need to be, but as for we dont need it in the UK, that's bollox

I agree though about how people freak and moan about snow, even if it's s dusting ie about 1"...."oh I cant move", get the shovel out and put some dirt, cat litter ect under the driven wheels - that'll get you moving. Or if it's a rwd, and you can - reverse up
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I mean quite simply that there's no need for them to throw the evil stuff around like confetti :twisted: use it very sparingly, wisely and sensibly...

One day the masses will catch on to how much environmental damage it does in addition to rotting cars and lulling people into false senses of security when the weather is bad...

The last point is the main one. I learned to drive and spent many years of my early driving career on icy roads. Salt was a luxury in those days. As a result those who did the same know how to drive and control a car in adverse conditions.

People now expect the roads to be free of ice at all times and when they find ice the results are invariably calamitous and for that reason over-use of salt is actually counter-productive and downright dangerous.

Those of us who attended the old school of driving always drive as if the roads are potentially icy when the mercury drops below a few degrees irrespective of whether or not the grit-jockeys have been out...

If I was of a cynical mind I'd say the gritters and car-makers are in cahoots. Just as the councils are with the tyre and suspension mobs and the like over potholes...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I seem to think there must be some non-corrosive and environmentally friendly alternative to use on the roads although I bet costs area major consideration.

I did wonder if the lack of standards was due to the switch to front wheel drive although most have been this was since the early 80's so I doubt its that now, 20 years ago perhaps.

I think its a combination of lack of "good" winters so new drivers are not really aware that well of how to drive in snow etc, I can recall it was bad in about 93 and again in 97 and a bit in 2010 but not really bad in-between. I do remember those years for other reasons though.

I also slightly suspect the increase in driving aids and relative comfort or safety features in more modern vehicles make people think they are more invincible, ie things like ABS and Traction Control. Does not mean you'll stop any faster, might even take longer as the only real purpose of ABS is to retain some steering control not to really shorten braking distances as far as I'm concerned.

There is nothing wrong with these features as they are very useful however the 'concern' I have is some drivers seem to think they substitute general safety and common sense.

Also, a lot of modern cars have large thin low profile tyres, in my limited experience (I did work as a valeter in a bodyshop for a while) its these that tend to have more problems, although if its down to the drivers I do not know. I do not think crazy 30/40 profiles with wide tyres are any help on the snow / ice at all personally, a nice thin tyre will 'cut' through it much better and maybe afford better control with care.

Perhaps this is why a 2CV is good in the snow (not personal experience, just what I read someone can confirm or otherwise as I know we have a few on here) , although to be fair when I ran a Beetle (!) with its similar tyres to a 2CV, ie tall and thin, it too was not at all bad in the nasty weather.

Also disturbing to see the number (relatively) of 4wd vehicles also afflicted and found in the ditch. :D , I also wonder if by possessing said vehicles their drivers think they are immune to the bad weather and can drive normally, the answer would be no it does not quite work like that, you may have better general traction but its not safe to drive at a normal dry day speed by any means...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
stu9

Post by stu9 »

In regards to the first bit of your post

Maybe if the goverment stopped helping other country's and started to sort the s**t here, we would have plenty of money for this, that and the next....pen pushing suited bullshitting dicks :evil:

As forthe rest....you couldnt have said a truer word - the amount of knobs that still fly by at god knows what speed in the rain, snow ect as if it was a dry sunny day isnt funny. They must think because they're in a car, no matter how big or how many airbags ect theyr're fine - WRONG
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There was close on a millimetre in Gateshead Mike :shock:

Didn't last though :)
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

As I was driving to work today the hailstone was horizontal, fortunately that ment it didn't lay :lol:

Terrible weather, I would rather have snow than this freezing cold breeze :?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Breeze?
There were sand dunes blown from the beach in Seaton Delaval, cars buried in them.

Ed: Seaton Sluice, sorry. Delaval is where my daughter works :)
Last edited by myglaren on 25 Mar 2013, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected bullshit.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I use the term breeze lightly Steve :lol: Its been extremely windy :shock:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Still quite an unusually long spell of cold for March..........and into the end of March at that. There must be over 20 days below freezing this month here in Scotland. Minus 2 at nights and around freezing during day out of sun. Add windchill. Even Galway in Eire has been below freezing at night for about same period.......that really is unusual.

All down simply to wind direction. The facts are that Scotland generally does not get much snow lying at sea level in winter never mind spring. Given a wind coming across the colder North Sea and then across the even colder land, it is a recipe for snow lying in Stranraer and even Arran.......which has loads of Palm trees due to Gulf stream. That Gulf stream has no influence at all right now. Seen some rough months of March mind you . Fishing for Salmon in boat when the hailstones were so hard that you needed snow goggles to stop them stinging your eyes out.

March...........lets hope it is in like a Lion .......and out like a Lamb.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

A bx 4x4 would be a good option these days ;)

Vredestien Wintrac 4 Xtreme tyres seem popular on the LR forums for coping with mud and snow and ice to a great degree and a few run them all year round getting some very high mileages out of them as well.

I've seen a few pictures of drifts in the hills deeper than the height of a Disco 3/4 bonnet so even us lot get stuck when our vehicles work :D

I carry a load of things in the back of any car i drive, generally filling the rear footwells with rescue kit and toolkit and extra clothes just incase and some snacks and water :) Though in this weather i dont think i'd need water too much ;)

We have had some quiet heavy snow storms today but it doesn't stick at all up my way :( Im heading to the hills at the weekend with the snow socks in the car for the C5 and my sledge with brakes that can help steer and my ski-ing clobber for some proper fun!