Little off topic, but comfy car recommendations?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Little off topic, but comfy car recommendations?

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Hi All,
I'm after some advice and opinions.
I'm trying to help a friend purchase a second hand card, her basic criteria is Comfy, affordable (to run) and reliable. oh and it must be an Auto!
The reason comfort has such a high priority is because of a serious medical issue with her back, most conventional suspension is far to jarring.

For comfort my immediate thought is of course a hydraulic Citroen, and affordability fits right in with their amazing diesel engines, however reliability in a french auto... mmm can be done, but in with all the 3 factors??
Just to put it out there I won't touch a car with an AL4 box, I don't like or trust them.

So I was thinking Xantia V6, comfortable, reliable, but affordable to run.. not going to fit the budget. I think a mk1 xantia diesel auto with the ZF box would be an option, haven't seen one for a long long time though.

The 2.1TD XM auto crossed my mind, but hows the reliability, bear in mind this is going to a female friend, who knows nothing at all about cars, can't fix the simplest thing.

Any thoughts guys?
Dare I say it, any non french recommendations?
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

DS21BVH would do the trick, but I suspect that is out of the budget range. Peugeot 505, if there are any left. 405 Pug, not wagon. Once we went over 15" tyres, ride quality started to suffer for better grip. A sinker Xant or tidy BX with new octopus would be decent candidates.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Little off topic, but comfy car recommendations?

Post by CitroJim »

An XM would fit the bill perfectly Sid but there is the reliability issue... They're fine if you keep the spanners waving in front of them but for someone with back issues that's not on...

My old XM 2.0TCT on LPG would have been perfect...

How about a C5 V6 Exclusive? Should fit the bill in all respects. One is going very cheaply not far from you...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

CitroJim wrote: How about a C5 V6 Exclusive? Should fit the bill in all respects. One is going very cheaply not far from you...
Hmm not sure I would agree with affordable to run, for that I would expect at least 35mpg, getting 30mpg in the v6 is a task in itself, at least for me anyway (and about 80% of my journeys are country lanes - the 20% town part is probably what doesn't help nor the cold weather)
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys.
Sadly I think its goign to be very hard to obtain good specimins of the cars you suggest Addo, well a decent BX or early Xantia is certianly something I'd look out for, but not common over here, the old pugs, I havent seen one for a long time. As for a DS, way out of the price range.

I think that rules out the XM's then Jim, can't imagine her doing any spanner waving ;)
A v6 would be lovely, C5 or perferably Xantia, however fuel consumption is going to then become an issue, are any of the C5 HDi's on a decent (non AL4) autobox?
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Sid_the_Squid wrote: A v6 would be lovely, C5 or perferably Xantia, however fuel consumption is going to then become an issue, are any of the C5 HDi's on a decent (non AL4) autobox?
I believe, only the 2.2 (has the 4HP20 like the V6), but from what I've read on the forums here, it's not that much more economical than the 3L V6. (Though the quoted figures are about 50% better than the V6).
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

2.2hdi can get a decent enough MPG.

Just get the DPF deleted and then get it bashed out as well. Stay on top of servicing and do the filters and fluids at 6k not the silly 12k citroen suggest or every 6 months as the cost isn't that much.
An SX or Exclusive could be had, cheap leather thrown in as well for comfort as the heat option could help with back pain and the ride is very good as well. Come in at under £2k as well with decent history.