Oil filters & how to remove them!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Fake Concern
My Cars:

Oil filters & how to remove them!

Post by Fake Concern »

After years of having my car serviced at the dealers, in the last few years I have found myself with 4 cars to look after, so have gone back to doing it myself. Lately I always seem to have a problem getting the filter off. With daughter no.1's Clio Mk2 Ph1, I bought a chain wrench, which would not fit between the filter & the subframe! Got it off with an old bike toe strap!
With daughter no.2's Clio Mk2 Ph2, which has a cartridge in a plastic casing, used the toe strap again.
With my wife's Clio Mk1, I bought a strap wrench thinking this had to be the ultimate solution, but it just wouldn't do it. I thought it was because of the limited access, so got it off how I always used to do it, by bashing a Phillips screwdriver right through & turning it! Messy, but effective.
Today I did my own C4 & thought as there is plenty of space around the filter, the strap wrench would work. No such luck, the thing is useless, however tight it is pulled it just slips round, doing nothing (see pic for the type it is). Got it off with the trusty bike toe strap.
So my question is, what do other people use?
Attachments
DSCN0459.JPG
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
Northern_Mike

Re: Oil filters & how to remove them!

Post by Northern_Mike »

Look on ebay for "Oil Filter pliers"

I have a pair. They've shifted every filter I've used them on with ease.

I'll send a link to those like mine when I get near a PC. They were about a fiver.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Northern_Mike wrote:Look on ebay for "Oil Filter pliers"

I have a pair. They've shifted every filter I've used them on with ease.
I have a pair as well. I concur with Mike. Bloody excellent, especially for 'difficult' ones like on the XM 2.0TCT and Activa
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I've only ever had to employ a strap wrench that fits onto a ½" drive socket extension, but did use my belt before I bought that tool.
Only used once on each car, filters always come off by hand if I have fitted it.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Buy the correct "cap" type tool - sized by filter can diameter and number of flutes - for metal canister oil filters (eg, 76/12 fits LS867B), or the appropriate socket for a cartridge type.

EG: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380580741983" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the overcap tool
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

I use one of these clever epicyclic gear jobbies:
http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=375&item=5099" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I originally bought it because my dad's Vectra has a particularly awkward oil filter that's difficult to get on with a strap wrench and I didn't fancy buying a cup type wrench for his car and never use it again. Bit strange to get them going but it once grips it works great.
Comes with a useful 1/2 to 3/8ths drive adapter too.

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

My favourite's one of the steel strap type, with a knob for tightening.
They apply even force right round the canister (important for the reuseable housing ones) and make a pretty good job of removing suspension spheres too!
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Luckily I've not had a huge amount of trouble with filters, nothing a chain wrench won't get at.

Dad tells me the oil filter on our Mk5 Astra is at the back of the engine just below the exhaust manifold...
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The problem with pliers, straps and chains is they all require good access for "swing" beside the filter - not always feasible, especially in cars fitted with an undertray that has a small access point for filter changing.
Northern_Mike

Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:The problem with pliers, straps and chains is they all require good access for "swing" beside the filter - not always feasible, especially in cars fitted with an undertray that has a small access point for filter changing.
I've found with the pliers that you can grip filters so well with them that even if you can only move it an inch or so at a time, it's easy to release and grip again. Two bites, then get your hand down and unscrew it as normal. Dead easy.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I use huge water pump pliers to loosen annoying filters too, fits most. I do have a metal strap wrench as well. The only car's I've really had problems with is the 205TD as with its upright filter there's little room to swing a cat (or a strap wrench) between the engine and radiator. I seem to recall the later 206HDi's were very tight for space too between filter and radiator as well.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the pliers type might be the best solution as I have 4 different filters to cater for. I had thought the strap thing I bought would be good, but was useless even with a lot of space around it, I can't see it ever working & will try to take it back, unfortunately I bought it before Christmas!
I like the cap type removers & had one for my V70, but as that was american made it used a srange size square drive hole! Anyway I don't to buy 4 of these!
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

The pliers are excellent. You can get them in Halfords. Only ever defeated by an Espace V6 for me, which looked like it was wearing the original filter at 99k miles!!
French is best.
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

R9UKE wrote:The pliers are excellent. You can get them in Halfords. Only ever defeated by an Espace V6 for me, which looked like it was wearing the original filter at 99k miles!!
I'll have to look there again as the last time I looked, they only had the chain wrench which didn't fit between filter & subframe.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

I used this kind of oil filter wrench in my Xantia. After trying several different types of tools I think this was the best. It is similar as given in Chlorate's post.
Chlorate wrote:I use one of these clever epicyclic gear jobbies:
http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=375&item=5099" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual