Spare pump testing

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Spare pump testing

Post by spider »

So I've had a spare Bosch TUD pump floating around my shed ( not literally obviously :P ) for a good six maybe ten months. I grabbed it when I saw it as (1) Bosch pumps do not seem common on these (2) I wanted a mechanical advance spare anyway not like the one I have and (3) I recall it was cheap.

I'd de-armoured it (it came from a keypad model as best as I can remember) around September last year. I'd not really tried to check it in other ways as it appeared to be full of fuel (the inlet / return were cut and plugged and I could see fuel in them)

Worried about it standing too long and the fuel (and who knows what else water etc) could be in it, I wanted to test it. The delivery pipes were very rusty although they were sufficient to face well away from me and to test it.

Thing is (and the question really) I did not have anything immediately suitable to test it with, I recall Jim saying LHM is a good thing to use, I'd not want to use derv as that's a bit dangerous I think.

I had some Dex3 ATF so I used that. Initially I left the solenoid closed and the inlet in a fresh pot of ATF and the outlet into an empty tub. After some turning it appeared at the outlet so I whipped the plunger / spring out and popped the solenoid back to save messing with a 12v supply. More turning and I could see signs of leakage from the delivery pipes, so after watching closely I saw it did appear from all of them.

Question is: Is ATF OK to use for 'testing' and perhaps 'storage' ? , naturally I'd ensure it was fully swilled out with derv before (if) fitting. I'm thinking it may be better standing with ATF in it than ancient derv, what little did come out did not look very good, I think it was actually about empty anyway.

Slightly concerned it may not work properly as I don't have any method (besides fitting it!) to confirm its really working, internally it is taking fuel in and returning it and there is some outlet at the delivery pipes in sequence as best as I can tell.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Chlorate
My Cars:

Re: Spare pump testing

Post by Chlorate »

I'd imagine it'd be fine, heck given half a chance an XUD engine would probably run on ATF without much complaint :twisted:
Without looking up the formulation I would guess that ATF is mineral based with a few extra goodies for keeping slush boxes in check - not hugely dissimilar to LHM in some ways (although different enough to hurt hydropneumatic systems) - so likely no issues with it eating any seals in the diesel pump.

Diesel fuel is only moderately more flammable than engine oil really, it's only particularly dangerous at high temperature/pressure (or indeed as a fine vapour). But it's not the nicest thing to have sitting around and would evaporate over some time.

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I see no problem in using Dexron as a test fluid Andy, in fact possibly the best thing to do with the stuff :lol:

In the past I've used veggie oil and latterly used but filtered Hydraflush from a Citroen hydraulic system. LHM could also be used.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Thanks both.

I used Dexron as I had a good litre or so left over from the (non PSA) vehicle's multiple autobox fluid changing sessions that's all. I'll keep it full of it for now then until such time as its needed or otherwise.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG