AL4 Transmission PDF

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

k2col
My Cars:

AL4 Transmission PDF

Post by k2col »

Hi,

thought this might come in handy for someone, some day:

CITROEN TECHNICAL TRAINING

Presentation of the AL4
Automatic Transmission

Enjoy,
Colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: AL4 Transmission PDF

Post by CitroJim »

k2col wrote:Enjoy
Thank you Colin, I did :D

The AL4 is a very similar 'box to the 4HP20 on the V6 and that document has helped resolve some confusion I've seen in other forums between the AL4 and 4HP20.

Excellent stuff. Safely downloaded as a PDF and kept safe for future reference :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

Thanks Colin. I have the AL4 box and having scanned through the manual I am amazed at the complexity of the beast.

Jim; Does your Lexia have the capabilities and leads for this box?

Keith
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Thanks Colin. However as regards recommendations to check & top up the oil every 60,000 Km, while desirable. The AL4 behaves much better if it is drained (you can get 3 Ltrs out) every 30, 000 miles & the oil replaced. At least mine did. Thanks again.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

hirsty wrote:Thanks Colin. I have the AL4 box and having scanned through the manual I am amazed at the complexity of the beast.

Jim; Does your Lexia have the capabilities and leads for this box?

Keith
Yes, I have to admit, these modern autoboxes appear to be fearsomely complex beasts but fundamentally, they work exactly the same as say, the good old-fashioned Borg Warner and the like. As always, it's the electronics that make them look complex...

My Lexia lays bare the secrets of my 4HP20 Keith, so i see no reason why it should not do the same for the AL4.

Take careful note of the AL4 "Oil Wear" indicator :twisted: This WILL eventually put the 'box into "limp home" mode (Snow and Sport lights flashing) and will need the attentions of a Lexia to reset it - after you've done an oil change..

Hopefully, and based on my 4HP20 experiences, in a while, I'll be able to suggest a way to remove more than 3 litres of old oil when changing :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

A friend and I came to one possible means of achieving a near-complete flush. As yet it's unvalidated.

You can buy "sandwich" adaptors from speed parts suppliers, that fit between the heat exchanger and transmission casing to break out the fluid circuit. The immediate benefit of this, is it allows you to run extra fluid volume via an external stacked plate cooler - a real bonus in places like Australia where traffic snarls on a 35°C day are not that uncommon. After all, the wear indicator responds both to operating hours and fluid temps.

A potential secondary benefit of this adaptor, is to near completely replace the trans fluid. I need to find out the relative location (in the fluid circuit) of the thermostat and pump to determine whether you'd purge with air then add fluid, or just feed in fluid.

My AL4 (locally rebuilt) is bedded in well now at about 16K miles, but still has one harsh 2-3 upshift on light throttle. I reckon it's the software coding much as its flappy, under-fixed subframe.

Regards, Adam.
Smarty2

Post by Smarty2 »

Hi seen this after hunting around for some additive to make my AL4 less crappy. http://www.terraclean.net/product.php?id=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I e-mailed them about availability in the U.K and they advised for the 2nd quarter of this year, someone will be contacting me then, seems like the perfect machine for this troublesome box!

Mart
Current: C5R Exclusive
EX: C5 2l SX auto
Xantia 2l Hdi exclusive
XM 2.1 TD auto Estate
CX 2.5 TD saloon
BX 1.7 Diesel saloon (2 of)
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I sort of wonder if the sandwich adaptor is similar to what they sometimes do in the 'States, they have a machine connected up to the cooler lines and in effect it goes through the machine being replaced while its running. This way the correct amount of fluid is always present but replacing during the run.

You could in theory stick the ends of the pipes into an empty (for out) and full (for in) containers but it would cost a fortune to do it that way, not to mention either being overfilled and blowing seals or being starved of fluid during the process.

What I did with my GM box:

Drained / refilled. Ran for about 60 seconds including holding at stall speed for about 5 seconds a few times, hoping that would circulate around a bit the torque converter. Drain and refilled. Repeated that again, took for a short drive and drained re-filled. It was OK after that but it used (relatively cheap) Dextron3 and I had a lot of it floating around, enough to get away with doing that.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Smarty2

Post by Smarty2 »

The machine I linked to does all that automatically, really need to give that a go, I added some Archoil 2300 system cleaner to my box yesterday and am running it for a thousand miles and having the fluid changed several times or if this machine is available before then using the terraclean method, seems like its about time someone came up with a machine like this that swaps out all the fluid. :)
As for the sandwich I am toying with the idea of getting this wee beasty fitted? http://www.jpat.co.uk/dpoflyer.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Xantia 2l Hdi exclusive
XM 2.1 TD auto Estate
CX 2.5 TD saloon
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That Terraclean machine is just what we want... Be good to see who has it when it arrives..
Jim

Smarty2

Post by Smarty2 »

CitroJim wrote:That Terraclean machine is just what we want... Be good to see who has it when it arrives..
I will endeavour to let you know, when they contact me that is?
Xantia 2l Hdi exclusive
XM 2.1 TD auto Estate
CX 2.5 TD saloon
Smarty2

Post by Smarty2 »

Bumpy bumpy, I never did get a reply from Terraclean, the deal must have gone AoT? Anyone had dealings with these? http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/al4-transmission.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Xantia 2l Hdi exclusive
XM 2.1 TD auto Estate
CX 2.5 TD saloon