Oil specifications

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gixxer
My Cars:

Oil specifications

Post by Gixxer »

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place on the Forum for the following; however, I’m hoping that someone can put my mind to rest regarding engine oil. After reading various comments regarding the correct oil for a petrol C1, I decided to pop down to Halfords to get a 5w-30 fully synthetic.

After a chat with the sales assistant I picked up 5 litres of Mobile Super 3000 Formula FE. However, having got home and read the label I’ve got the following query;

The hand book says the oil is to conform to ACEA A3/B4 and (or is that or?) API SL

However, the Mobile conforms to ACEA A3/B4; API SL/CF; plus some Ford recommendation.

From what the Halfords chap said, because API SL appears in both the oil is suitable; therefore my question is does having SL in both specifications make the oil suitable, or is it having the SL and common ACEA ratings which would make it suitable :? .

Thanks in advance, G :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Oil specifications

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, that's fine...

SL refers to the specification the oil meets for use in Spark Ignition engines (the 'S' part of 'SL') whereas the CF part refers to the specification it meets when used in Compression ignition (Diesel) engines.

So that oil will be perfect for you..

In fact most, if not all, oils carry both a Spark and Compression ratings making them generally usable in either. Generally the onlty major difference in a diesel-specific oil is it has more detergents.

I use a 10W/40 Diesel fleet oil in all my vehicles...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gixxer
My Cars:

Post by Gixxer »

Thanks Jim,

That's interesting about the SL what's the ACEA A3/B4 refering to?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

For a bit of light reading the query is covered in this link:
Oil Specifications

I'm going for a lie down :cry:
Gixxer
My Cars:

Post by Gixxer »

Thanks, interesting read; however now that I’ve noticed a typo in my initial post about the Mobile ACEA specification – what I meant to say was:

The hand book says the oil is to conform to ACEA A3/B4 and API SL

However, the Mobile conforms to ACEA A5/B5; API SL/CF; plus some Ford recommendation.

…the information on the website says that the A5/B5 are unsuitable for use in some engines and consult the owner manual or handbook if in doubt; any translation of this would be gratefully received.

I never thought getting would get to this; all seems too confusing for someone bought up during the mineral oil days!!
Gixxer
My Cars:

Post by Gixxer »

Hello,

After reading a number of things I'm still unsure whether the A5/B5 spec oil is ok to use in a petrol C1 - any guidance or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, G
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If in doubt I would use the recommended Total oil. Spec will be in your handbook.

As very few C1s are owned by forum members then more specific advice may not be forthcoming.

Possibly ask Millers or Opie for further advice.

Comma have an online advice service too. I have used Comma oil on occasion and haven't found anything untoward about it.
I may be wrong but believe that Comma supply Halfords and Asda with their 'own brand' oils.
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Hi G
From what I've been reading
here http://www.acea.be/images/uploads/files ... uences.pdf
here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... er=1822794
and here http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-803-acea-a5b5.aspx

A5/B5 are low viscosity oils, designed for low friction extra fuel economy, the reason why they might not be suitable for all engines is their low Viscosity which could causing sheering under stress, from what I've seen 99% of these oils are 30 weight oils, which makes sense as that's fairly low viscosity.

Now you've ended up with 5w 30 oil, is that the grade specified in your manual? to me it sounds a bit thin, but then modern cars seem to be using thinner and thinner oil so could be bang on.

Interestingly enough looking at the A3/B4 oils here
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-915-acea-a3b4.aspx most are 40 weight but there are some 5w 30 oils..

My advice would be if your in doubt, check the handbook if it specifies say 5w-40 get 5w-40 or 5w-30 get 5w-30, if its vague and the common consensus on the internet is 5w-30 but you need A3/B4 thats possible, go for that (see link above).

Better to be safe than sorry, In my experience car part shops in general have staff who are woefully ignorant of cars, especially when it comes to oils.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
Gixxer
My Cars:

Post by Gixxer »

Thanks for all the advice and links, I now need to have a lie down! Thing's were so much easier when there was just the company car on the drive!

From everything I've read and based on the fact that most of the opinion posted on various forums seems to suggest 5W-30 (which does fall within the range in the hand book); however, it needs to be A3/B3 spec. I'll probably go with this before I read something else 8-[ !