Tuning box on my Xantia HDi

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Tuning box on my Xantia HDi

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Hi All,
It’s been a while, thought I'd drop a post to say hi and add my experience adding a Pro-Bitz tuning box on my ‘99 Xantia HDi
As she just passed her MOT last Saturday decided to splash out on one of these tuning boxes, having heard people generally reporting good experiences.

Well the box arrived yesterday, and with the good weather I fitted during my lunch break then went for a quick spin.
Very happy to report a definite noticeable power increase, the already quite addictive torque between 2000rpm and 3500rpm has become much more noticeable, you should have seen me grinning on the drive home yesterday :)

Another interesting thing, improved power past 4000 rpm as well, now pulls quite strongly all the way to the red line.

No idea if there will be any fuel economy changes, once the tanks empty next weekend, I’ll report back with any changes good or bad. Pre tuning box I averaged 46mpg.

As a side note, she’s already been de-catted (by previous owner), and EGR disconnected.
Also waiting on a K&N panel filter for later this week :)
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
gadgetgricey

Re: Tuning box on my Xantia HDi

Post by gadgetgricey »

Sorry to show my ignorance, but what does disconnecting the EGR do, and how do you do it??

Thanks again

- Dave -
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Hi Dave,
In short it stop the exhaust gasses from recirculating back through the engine, which prevents the soot build up in the intake, and contamination of the oil, in short makes your diesel engine cleaner.
Its a fairly common (i think) mod people do, its achieved by removing the vacuum pipe from the electro valve.. that way the ECU still thinks its working and won’t throw a code, but the EGR valve will remain nicely shut.

The electro valve in question is at the top left of the engine on a Xantia HDi, there are two, trace the vacuum hose see which one connects to the silver bit of the exhaust manifold, that'll be your one, I'll try get you some pics if you’re interested.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Sid, good to see you back amongst us :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Sid_the_Squid wrote: I'll try get you some pics if you’re interested.
That would be great if you dont mind.

Thanks again.

- Dave -
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Sid_the_Squid wrote:Hi Dave,
In short it stop the exhaust gasses from recirculating back through the engine, which prevents the soot build up in the intake, and contamination of the oil, in short makes your diesel engine cleaner.
Its a fairly common (i think) mod people do, its achieved by removing the vacuum pipe from the electro valve.. that way the ECU still thinks its working and won’t throw a code, but the EGR valve will remain nicely shut.

The electro valve in question is at the top left of the engine on a Xantia HDi, there are two, trace the vacuum hose see which one connects to the silver bit of the exhaust manifold, that'll be your one, I'll try get you some pics if you’re interested.
So I could do this the HDi Berlingo with the 90BHP motor? I thought I had to go to the bother of blanking the EGR with a plate and other bits and pieces..
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Thanks Jim :D I see you have an XM now, I'd love to come by some time and see :)

I'll get some pics either tomorrow lunch (if i have time) or this weekend for you Dave.

To answer your question mike, if your Berlingo HDi 90 you have is the same 8v lump as the HDi 90 in the Xantia, then it will be the same procedure as I've done, basically the EGR on these engines is really simple vacuum operated, there is an electro valve which 'opens' the vacuum thus opening the EGR, if you remove the vacuum pipe the EGR valve won't open, but the electro valve can still function, therefore the ECU is none the wiser.

Just did a bit of googling.. here we go a nice link with pictures already :)

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=27176

See how you guys get on with that, I'll still see if I can grab some pictures myself.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Hi again Sid,
No need for pictures the one in the link for me is great.
There is mention of blocking the vacuum pipe that's removed.
Is that also required?

Thanks again

- Dave -
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

I would block both ends if possible, there will still be a vacuum coming from the electro valve, which if left unblocked would be an air leak. The pipe going to the EGR technically wouldnt need blocking as there is nothing there but an EGR valve, however it would be safer to block just to keep dirt out in case you wanted to reattach one day.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sid_the_Squid wrote:Thanks Jim :D I see you have an XM now, I'd love to come by some time and see :)
You are always very welcome, any time :-D be good to see you!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Regarding blocking the EGR vacuum pipe, the XUD type injector caps for the leak off pipes are usually ideal to 'blank' the small vacuum ports on EGR valves and suchlike.

I'd ensure it is actually closed though first if you're not planning on disassembly. As long as the electronics are connected the vacuum electrovalve will open and shut as normal so the ECU will be happy with that but with no vacuum available at the actual valve itself the valve will never be able to open which is not a bad thing by any means.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Status update:
Just filled up on fuel, 61 liters used to do 612 miles... working out at 45.6mpg
That's with my normal driving, with a couple of episodes of 'spirited driving'.
So basically in line with my usual average mpg, that sounds like a win to me, more power without any mpg loss.

Driving wise still very happy, definitely nicer to drive with the extra power, still putting a smile on my face. :D

Many thanks for the invite Jim, I'll try organise some time soon to pop over :)
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx