Hillbilly DIY Injector Refurb

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Hillbilly DIY Injector Refurb

Post by evilally »

I got my paws on an ultra sonic bath and have been meaning to try a DIY injector refurb for some time now. As the head is currently off the engine now seemed like a good time! Injectors are on 185k, and have done the last 25k on WVO. I say Hillbilly as I don't have a pop tester and I haven't purchased new nozzles. However, ensuring I re-assemble the injectors with their own individual components, they should be close enough, and I doubt any worse than they are now. Here goes......

Injector before refurb:

Seperating injector (being careful of the needle):

Injector stripped down:

Injector needle:

Ultrasonic bath, previously used to clean surgical instruments until health and safety declared all ultrasonics must have a locking lid. Luckily I've retrieved it from the skip and put it back to work. I've filled this with a cocktail of assorted rubbish lying around the garage, diesel, paraffin and xylene:

The injector bodies were coated in polymerized vegetable oil. I gave them a dip in some caustic solution as the solution in the bath wasn't effective. The nozzle also had heavy carbon build up. I used from 1500 grit lubricated with diesel to clean the outside of them.

Cleaned components in a bowl of fresh diesel:

Ready to rebuild. What was of note was that the needle was very tight in the nozzle and difficult to move. Once cleaned up it was moving freely again.

Rebuilt and torqued to 75nm:

'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Hillbilly DIY Injector Refurb

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Ally...

Good work sir :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I'm impressed!
Hope it works okay :D
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Cheers guys :-D Now I just have to figure out how to get the injector out with a NLS as it has a large plug and cable attached that won't play nice with the socket :( I think I might cut a window in the socket at the top with the angle grinder. Might void the Halfords lifetime warranty though.

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

Just a note from a chemical point of view; Please be careful with Xylene. It is not nice stuff, and has the potential to do you some serious harm.

Apologies if I'm telling you something you already know, but I've spent the past year writing the safety sheets for various chemicals so I tend to think along those lines these days.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a good point Owen....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Duly noted! It's about 30% xylene. I always wear gloves, work in a well ventilated area and keep the lid of the machine closed when running. That's all the injectors done anyway, so it will be getting chucked.

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

They look gorgeous Ally :P
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'd be looking at an initial lick with methylene chloride or ethanolamine to crack off the gummy residue. Brushed with an old toothbrush under hot water, then you would go the ultrasonic procedure. Some methanol in the cleaning solution would probably help as well.
TooMany2cvs
My Cars:

Post by TooMany2cvs »

Diesel injectors, I presume?

Did you look at (take pics of...?) the spray pattern or measure the flow before vs after?
Adrian
toomany2cvs (a) gmail.com
A miscellany of motorised silliness, from 0.75bhp to 9ft tall.
http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;