So there was this noise...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

So there was this noise...

Post by spider »

About an hour ago, got into the trusty 106, started up and tried to set off.

There was an almighty clunking / grinding noise (difficult to be specific over the noise of a cold advanced TUD :D ) and it seemed to be holding it back. The noise was enough for me to not to attempt to move it.

My first thought was a collapsed wheel bearing as I've seen this happen before in extreme cases although it was quiet the last time I went out.

Last time I used it was Saturday or Sunday and it was fine, it has had a slight knock though for ages despite replacing the top mountings last year and the bottom arms too, it faded but never really stopped.

A quick look showed the spring had called it a day and was merrily sticking into the tyre. The noise was it jumping around when I turned the wheel I guess.

I had to cut a section off (unsprung) where it was as to attempt to move it would instantly cut the tyre open. I put a large amount of cable ties on the sprung part as a precaution anyway although as expected nothing moved when I used my whizz wheel to cut said tail off, was not fun with an unlikely length of extension cables stretched out over the road and down the pavement :oops: , I pulled them out the way when people were around to avoid any risk of anyone falling, thankfully it was quiet so only had to stop twice.

At least then I was able to move it with care.

No spring compressors here, have decided to let someone else do it as I need it in a hurry and they will be reasonable (and cheap) and they had no work on.

Funny thing is I've *never* in all my time ever seen a 106 / Saxo with a broken spring. Plenty of 306's / 406's etc. Seems to be rare. I wonder if there was a hairline crack in it, as I say it broke in an unusual place.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Chlorate
My Cars:

Re: So there was this noise...

Post by Chlorate »

They pick the most convenient times to break awkward things don't they :evil:

Unusual that it decided to break a spring whilst parked too!

Salt got to it perhaps?

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
spider

Post by spider »

I did wonder that as it was fine when driving and its been stood a couple of days then when I got in it today it must of broken immediately I turned the wheel.

To be fair I guess better here and now rather than when I was in a real need to be somewhere.

I was alarmed to find it would of gone in the tyre though, that would of been interesting if going at speed, then again the rolling resistance of the car would probably stop it locking up although I'd of lost that tyre for sure and would not of been able to do much about it at the roadside given where the break was.

There were two pieces in the end, one wrapped around the strut and the piece of tail I cut off. It must of snapped, sprung up and around I guess.

Tyre looked OK as it was sat on the tread area although I had a glance at if after removal of errant lose spring part I'lll take another look. May just replace the front two soon as they are near 3mm and the other front one has a slow puncture anyway.

EDIT... Actually thinking back, I don't think that I can recall I've *ever* had a spring break on me in any car I've owned.
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh, that's amazing Andy :shock:

Thank goodness it happened like that and not when you were on the move..

Funnily it seems the vast majority go when the car is stopped. Same with Xantia and XM Strut Tops...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MonkeyMark

Post by MonkeyMark »

I've had this happen on a vectra.
Drove to my parents and all ok. Went to get back in car and the movement of me getting in (no fat jokes now please :-D ) was enough for the rear spring to go.
Fortunately it didn't prevent me from driving and had a new spring/shock in the next day.
Happy(ish) C8 owner.
spider

Post by spider »

Yes could of been worse. Car back now with two new (but unknown brand) springs fitted. Tyre appears undamaged although I'll replace the front pair I think anyway at the weekend given the slow puncture on the other one.

I did miss an appointment today though although I'd rather that (and have rebooked it) than have it 'fail' when I was not at home that would of been a nightmare as I'd have to of had some kind of recovery given that wheel would of needed to be kept off the ground.

Just surprisingly really as the broken springs I've seen usually come in ie driving with a noise rather than this, it had snapped some off (which made its way up the strut) and the broken end was sat tightly on the tyre preventing movement.

I think I'm just surprised it happened to this car as I've not seen a 106 / Saxo with a broken spring ever apart from this. Oh well.

Ah Vectra's. I think the pigtail on the rear is not uncommon to go on these and Astra's too.
Andy.