That butterflies in the stomach feeling!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

gjb02
My Cars:

That butterflies in the stomach feeling!

Post by gjb02 »

I don't know about anyone else who owns an older car they cherish, but I get a horrible feeling everytime I think about having an accident. Not because I feel unprotected in my older car, but, more that I feel gutted to think an insurance company would just write it off, and give me nothing for it.
I pay for fully comprehensive insurance on both my old cars, it's only marginally more expensive than third party F&T, and yet I still feel unprotected.
As mentioned on another thread my ZX 16v is a rare old beast,1 in 402, how will I get another one with the Glasses Guide price that an insurance company would offer me?
Could I get guaranteed value insurance?? Doubt it! As the owner I value it more than anyone else.
This doesn't keep me up at night but I do get knots in my stomach when I think of it, anyone else??
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

I read somewhere recently that there's a difference depending on who's to blame. If it's you, tough. If it's someone else, they have to get you back to the situation as before the accident, not just give you the value (their view of the value) of your cherished antique. Is this true or was it just wishful thinking?
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Gareth, I know how you feel! and in my own case owning an automatic makes it even more difficult to replace. And to make things worse, they dont make the ZX Volcane Diesel with an auto box, so the Aura becomes top-of-the-range..[:(!]
I have done most of the mods poss on my ZX but there are mods that its just not viable to carry out, i.e. changing the back end over to disk brakes.. But as you say, I doubt I could get more than "market value" if it got written off... [:(!] And just finding a pre ECU ZX automatic in even reasonable condition is extremely difficult at any price... [V]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Yes, I feel the same about my BX. Where would I find another car like it if it were hit? In days of old, you could buy the salvage back from the insurers but they don't let you any more. I think I'll have to start looking for classic insurance soon.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

And just to add to your worries! Think of all the idiots on the road who don't have any insurance (or MOT - or tax)
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

New legisratation this (next)year for computerised MOT examinations will hopefully get rid of a few more cowboys/idiots/b@$t*rd$ off our roads.[:(!][:(!][:(!]
The MOT cost will rise but it will be worth it[:)]
After the Road Fund License computerisation next I suppose is Insurance?
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Agreed value insurances are available but generally in the classic car groupings. I have done it in the past and a colleague has it on his pride and joy. It does however beg the question of values. An agreed value cover can cost more than the open market value of the car. Sentimentality does not, sadly, come into the equation.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bernie</i>

New legisratation this (next)year for computerised MOT examinations will hopefully get rid of a few more cowboys/idiots/b@$t*rd$ off our roads.[:(!][:(!][:(!]
The MOT cost will rise but it will be worth it[:)]
After the Road Fund License computerisation next I suppose is Insurance?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You can legislate and computerise all you like but if people don't bother to register their cars properly, then stick on false plates to avoid ANPR it'll make no difference.[V]
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

I have to agree with you Homer unfortunatly
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Just for once, The Danish system works best. Pay your weight tax and insurance quarterly by post
(WHY mess around with loads of forms when BB knows all?)
and then they don't cut off your number plates.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

(WHY mess around with loads of forms when BB knows all?)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Bernard Braden?
Billy Bunter?
Bernard Breslaw?
Bertie Bee?
[:D]