Citroen & Peugeot to shortly go the way of Rover?!?!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Re: Citroen & Peugeot to shortly go the way of Rover?!?!

Post by Northern_Mike »

ashy90 wrote: When I said late 1980's I was talking about Rover, and from when they launched the MK2 200/MK1 400 in 1989.
These weren't really a Rover though were they? They were a Honda Concerto in disguise, just built at Longridge, with Honda QC in place - indeed, the Concerto itself was built on the same line..
ashy90

Post by ashy90 »

Northern_Mike wrote:
ashy90 wrote: When I said late 1980's I was talking about Rover, and from when they launched the MK2 200/MK1 400 in 1989.
These weren't really a Rover though were they? They were a Honda Concerto in disguise, just built at Longridge, with Honda QC in place - indeed, the Concerto itself was built on the same line..

Of course it was. The car was a joint development between Rover and Honda. So, going by your attitude/line of thought, one could infact say that the Honda Concerto wasn't really a Honda though.....just a Rover in disguise :lol: Of course that would be wrong. Both companies had equal amounts of input in to the car. The Honda may even have used a Rover diesel engine, I am not sure. I know the later Honda Civic - Honda's version of the Rover 400, used a Rover L series diesel engine. The MK2 200 was a far nicer and classier car anyway, and much more sucessful than the Concerto in the UK I believe.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

It was a Concerto. Honda had been making it as such for some time in Japan, almost 2 years in fact, before it became the 200/400 and started to be produced at Longbridge.

A few of the later Civics used the L-Series, but the European Concerto diesels, of which not many were made, like the Rovers used the PSA 1.8 diesel engine
ashy90

Post by ashy90 »

Northern_Mike wrote:It was a Concerto. Honda had been making it as such for some time in Japan, almost 2 years in fact, before it became the 200/400 and started to be produced at Longbridge.

A few of the later Civics used the L-Series, but the European Concerto diesels, of which not many were made, like the Rovers used the PSA 1.8 diesel engine
It was a joint ventureship ~regardless of when what cars were released in what country's at what time. Rover put a lot of input in to the car. It showed too, as considering they were essentially the same car, they drove, handled, and even looked quite different. Of course back then the original Rover designed 1.4 k series was a cracking little engine (with no such HGF issues) and out-sold the 1.6 Honda versions. The 1.4 was more economical, and actually nearly as powerful as the 1.6 Honda engine. I did like the twin cam Honda D16 engine though as found in the 216GTi.

Ah yes. Thats correct - had forgotton about the old Peugeot diesel engine. XUD? The L series wasn't launched until around 1994/1995 ready for the new 200 and 400 series. Thats the generation of Civic's that used Rover L series engines. Supposedly the MK2 200 had more Rover input than the 1995 400 series did. But I always think the 400 feels more 'Rover'ish' than the MK2 200. I know the 400 does feel different to the Civic version to drive. Both good cars though.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The talk of using Honda units in BL cars reminds me of the Triumph Acclaim. I heard that caused them problems as they never hardly sold any mechanical spares such was the reliability of said power train. Personally I don't think this was a bad car at all, slightly underpowered maybe with a 1300 in a saloon body.

Not really sure on the K series engine, I do know that some Rover sump plugs used to strip their threads with alarming ease :( I've done a few too although there's no telling if someone had been bodgeing beforehand. I think if the K unit was looked after with decent oil and coolant it would probably be OKish although there was some oddity about bleeding it, cannot remember the specifics although there was a post here in the Citroen forum where someone was asking about it not that long ago.

Regarding PSA no I think they'll be OK, although I do sort of wonder (apologies in advance) if some of it is of their own making by an excess of electrickery, with French electrics not being the best to start with anyway. I remember years ago, well before 'plexing a tech said to me something along the lines of "its nearly always the electrics that let them down"...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:When BMW managed to get their mitts on Rover, my Mother was living in Germany. She said at the time that all BMW was after was Land Rover (as they didn't have an acceptable 4X4), and possibly MG or Mini. She then said that once the time limit had expired, BMW would drop the rest faster than a burning potato, and (if they could) move the good bits to Europe. I think that she wasn't far off the mark.
I think that's right.

On a visit around then to a factory in Germany (nothing to do with cars), I learned that Rover had acquired the nickname of a popular film at the time - The English Patient