Top Gear Rugby

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Re: Top Gear Rugby

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:When Lewis first appeared on TG, he drove in wet, oily conditions, and still posted a blistering time (and he didn't appear to be trying that hard). He was extended an invitation to return when conditions were better, as it was obvious that he could go a whole lot faster. He returned, he posted an incredible time, and he still didn't appear to break a sweat. That young man is a truly gifted driver.
I agree wholeheartedly Alistair. I've been watching F1 since 1983, almost as long as I can remember. I can't recall any other driver bringing as much excitement into F1 as Lewis did. That includes Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher (I don't rate Schumacher that highly, but that's another debate). He was blisteringly fast right from the outset, yes, he had a top car, but plenty of other rookies got a shot at a top car and failed (DC being one - imagine him losing the title by one point in 1994?) .

I think Lewis is the fastest driver on the grid. His main problem over the years is that he seemed to have a Mansell emulator installed - Fastest driver on the grid, as I believe Mansell was in his time, but drove with his balls rather than his brain. Lewis seems to have finally outgrown that, and if Mercedes can get their act together, we should see a few wins this season, and hopefully some more titles to come. He's certainly capable, but is the car?

I had never really heard much about Lewis until I got into GP2. This race is still stuck in memory. I recall watching it live, in amazement.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

:?: :?: :?: Alistair :?: :?: :?:

:!: :!: :!: I'm James :!: :!: :!:
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Hell Razor5543 wrote::?: :?: :?: Alistair :?: :?: :?:

Not any longer! You are Alistair now and forever :twisted:
FCF rule :-D
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hell Razor5543 wrote::?: :?: :?: Alistair :?: :?: :?:

That'll teach me to be talking to Alistair on the phone while I'm typing :oops:
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I was named after my Great Uncle, who was also my Godfather (James Robert Maitland Boothby). The only person who could call me something else (and either get away with it, or a response from me) was my Grandfather (his brother), and he called me Jamie. My last memory of Uncle Jim was helping him to clean his tatty Jaguar XK120. We had fun together. He died when I was nine years old (and his son was only 18 months old).

Mike, I will accept that that was a typo, caused by being on the phone and the forum at the same time. We have all done it (or something like).

Sorry to be touchy over my name, but I (and my mother) doted on Jim. All my memories of him are good. He was mechanically minded (having set up his own car company, James Boothby Motors), and watching him work on his cars fascinated me. That is probably why I like trying to fix things.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm James actually although I've always been known as Jim. In fact it was always the case for generations that at least one boy would have James either as a first or middle name...

Now I've broken it as both mine are girls so neither could have James as a name and furthermore our surname dies out this generation as all of us who could have carried it on have girls or are childless...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

For those that missed it, and haven't watched it on the BBC iPlayer, Top Gear (Rugby edition) is on BBC2 at 19:00.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

For those who are interested, Bruce Willis was able to do his bit as he was filming RED2 at Dunsfold aerodrome (it was pretending to be Heathrow airport, for Gods' sake!). Still, the film was very amusing.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:I'm James actually although I've always been known as Jim. In fact it was always the case for generations that at least one boy would have James either as a first or middle name...

Now I've broken it as both mine are girls so neither could have James as a name and furthermore our surname dies out this generation as all of us who could have carried it on have girls or are childless...
My youngest son as a James. We call him Bob :twisted:
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

myglaren wrote:
CitroJim wrote:I'm James actually although I've always been known as Jim. In fact it was always the case for generations that at least one boy would have James either as a first or middle name...

My youngest son as a James. We call him Bob :twisted:
Short for Kate?
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'