Is this the place to discuss beer?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: Is this the place to discuss beer?

Post by qprdude »

I've been struggling to find the natural progression in this thread, from beer , chocolate, Hot women, cats and back to beer.
I think I may have found a link between three of the four.
Please don't talk about chocolate, I am on a diet and chocolate is my second most favourite thing in the World.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
spigven

Post by spigven »

qprdude wrote:I've been struggling to find the natural progression in this thread, from beer , chocolate, Hot women, cats and back to beer.
As the yanks would say, "one of these things is not like the others".
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

QPR, what about chocolate that contains zero calories? :-D Its on its way! :shock:

It usually works out that the better the quality of chocolate you buy, the less you will want to consume, as the palate, (Yor Gob), gets satiated and then does not feel the need for more. Most of the stuff sold in the High Street is so bastardized, to appeal to the widest range of consumers, using the cheapest ingredients and masses of refined sugar, that it bears no resemblance to the real stuff. You'll find that your craving for High St chocolate is probably from the sugar rush that you get from eating it, unlikely to be an addiction to cacao.

Even real cacao (chocolate) sourced from different parts of the world have completely different tastes & textures and there are even different tastes from within the same country, region and estates. A bit like wine but without being so poncey. We currently use a number of different grades of dark, from 62% upto about 87%, depending on what it is being used for and what with. I have a 65% Madagascan that has amazing vanilla undertones, [-o< , and a 72% Ghanian that is really fruity and has a velvety texture on the tongue, incredible colour when melted in the bain-marie. At Christmas, we had a 97% Jamaican that had a real taste of spices, but we cut it with another Caribbean chocolate as it was too strong a taste.

Here endeth today's lesson. :roll:

Handyman
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Salivate, Salivate, SALIVATE!! My taste buds have just done a coup d'etat, and have demanded some of that chocolate to sample, otherwise I won't be able to taste a d4mned thing (and the rest of my digestive system has joined them!).
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 30 Jan 2013, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Right now, it's truffles chocolate from France I'm eating, but anything will do.I was fond of fruit 'n nut for a while but have gone off it. Used to like the really dark Bournville stuff but,,,,,,Hoi, you gits have got me talking about chocolate again, now I have to see whats left in the cupboard.
If there really is such a thing as calorie free chocolate on the way, there goes my small pension!
Rick.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I think we are going to have to get handyman to brew up some more of his chocolate beer. Seriously baffle the taste buds, etc.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I found the Channel 4 series about Willie Harcourt-Cooze mose intriguing and enlightening.

Here's a bit about his wife Tania who is interesting in her own light and rather more becoming that Willie.

Unfortunately the series doesn't appear to be available on 4OD but in recompense here is a video with Tania in it:

She really was a model.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Interesting collection of stuff there, Steve.

Willie certainly is driven, as I've bought some of his 100% cacao. A really intense flavour, with a lasting after taste, but it is bitterish, certainly one we could use with some of our truffles with coffee essence, makes for a good after dinner confection, especially with a glass of Asbach.

As for my chocolate beer, I must add a correction, as its an ale I brew with the fermented cacao and does not contain any hops, as I did not want the tannin after taste. The original ale recipe was my Golden Summer brew, abv is about 3.5%, but it does vary. I will be making another mash, once the weather warms up, as it would not be fair to have a Summer with no beer or ale and only country wine to drink!

H
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Tonight I have been mostly sampling a little number called "Bavaria"Holland. at 5%. Quite nice, with a slight burnt flavour, reminiscent of my younger days with Orangeboom. I spotted it in Tesco today at £1 for a 50cl bottle.
Rick.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

See, we are back on beer again. I said it would get back somehow.

By the way, qprdude, there are (currently) three branches of Waitrose north of the border. 2 are in Edinburgh, and the third is in Glasgow (with another one planned there). There have been a lot of requests for a branch in your area, and Waitrose are seriously looking into it. The main stumbling block is the supply chain.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Can't understand the supply chain problem, as just about every other retailer on the planet manage to get their stock to this far flung outpost of the UK ( :roll: ). In fact I can't think of a national retailer that doesn't have a presence.
I expect we will survive for another few years without Waitrose though.
Are they aware that Aberdeen has the highest percentage of multi-millionaires per capita in Britain?
Rick.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

qprdude wrote: Are they aware that Aberdeen has the highest percentage of multi-millionaires per capita in Britain?
You'd have thought Waitrose would have capitalised on that fact...

It's always seen as the supermarket for the posh toffs...

Hence I've never even been through the doors of one let alone shopped in one.

I'm more your average Tesco sort, me...

I have three main places to shop. Tesco, IKEA and Primark. If I can't get what I need there then generally I find I don't need it and can live without it. Just occasionally I need to make a foray into B and Q and to our local motor factors as I find the other shops carry a very poor selection of Citroen spares...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

As far as I aware, Waitrose don't (yet) have a distribution center in Scotland, although I would assume that they would be looking to set one up. They are (slowly) heading north, expanding as their plan dictates (and always within their means). I know this as I repair their till equipment, and I get to visit their helpdesk on regular occasions (based in Bracknell, with their southern distribution center). I get on well with the senior staff in that department (and was able to let my cousin on the Isle of Wight know about a branch being built before it was announced on the IOW).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Tonight, I am partaking of a nice little Brasilian number.
Brahma, a set of 4, 33cl bottles from Tesco for under £4.
At 4.33%, it won't do serious damage to your sense of balance . It is a light honey coloured tipple, with a nice solid taste. Not too sweet for a "Spanish/Portuguese type" lager beer, but not dry and sour like some stronger efforts. Best consumed ice cold, and straight from the bottle.
Rick.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm here enjoying a nice cup of Twinings decaffeinated Earl Grey in a Citroen mug..

In fact I've so enjoyed this one I'm going to have another...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...