heated rear screen fix?????

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

heated rear screen fix?????

Post by citronut »

what do you highly techy types think of this below as an alternative to supper glue and conductive paint for heated rear screen repair's,
as in bonding terminals back to the screen

http://tinyurl.com/b73z8hb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
handyman
My Cars:

Re: heated rear screen fix?????

Post by handyman »

Are you thinking of sticking a bass guitar to the rear screen on the BX? :P :P :P

Have a look on the RS or Maplin websites as they may well do similar stuff, rather than buy from ebay. I may well check this out for you Malc, as the estate need the rear screen heater connections resolved.

BTW, I'll be coming along this week to annoy you! :shock: :yikes:

H
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Farnells do some various conductive glues/paints. Whether it stays stuck to glass as it heats up, is the unknown!
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Addo, I'd forgotten about Farnells, but I think they are trade only and have quite a high minimum order value here in the UK. At least they used to when I did business with them a while back.

Then again, Malc might need a lot of glue if he is determined to stick that bass guitar onto the BX's rear window. #-o If the bond did not hold as the temperature was elevated, he could always drill a hole in the screen and refix it with a rivet. [-o< [-X 8-[

H
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Drilling holes in toughened glass at chez Malc? :shock:

"Hold my kreplach and watch this!"

Farnells Oz are very competitive on small sales orders now, may be the case for UK also. They have awesome prices on the insert type dash bulbs for Xantia - 27p or so.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Farnells are not as bad as they used to be and they do have a branch more directed at the non-trade type person: CPC. They seem to carry a good lot of Farnell lines although not all...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Re:

Post by citronut »

addo wrote:Drilling holes in toughened glass at chez Malc? :shock:
and a very shattering experience was ad by all :shock: :-D :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I wouldn't use superglue, as it is brittle, and (from what I have been told) not as thermally expansive as the glass/element. I used a dab of epoxy resin (for glass) to hold the connector in place, and 24 hours later applied some silver conductive paint. No problems after that.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 30 Jan 2013, 15:09, edited 2 times in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I wouldn't use superglue, as it is brittle, and (from what I have been told) not as thermally expansive as the glass/element. I used a dab of epoxy resin (for glass) to hold the connector in place, and 24 hours latter apllied some silver conductive paint. No problems after that.
so if i used the likes of the the adhesive in the link it would be easier/quicker, as you glue in place and cone with
Regards, malcolm.

handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Malc, I've had a look at your proposed repair glue and found something very similar listed with RS. The tech sheet with the RS stuff does not have any of the hype nor wild claims that this Yankie seller does, but it does state that it is only used to repair CARBON contacts on latex type contact buttons, of the type you'd get with the TV remote control, phone keypads, etc.

As the printed heating elements on windscreens are made with silver oxides, I'd be a bit wary about using a carbon based compound to effect a repair, as the resistance & conductivity of the two compounds might be different. If there is a localized hotspot created, you can say "goodbye, :wave1: " to the screen as it will shatter.

Is it just breaks in the tracks or has the terminal come adrift? If its just breaks, this stuff will do it, http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/conductiv ... s/1015621/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. If the terminal has come off, a dab of epoxy adhesive to stick it back on, twenty-four hours later, give it a good coating with the conductive paint and then after another day, a coating of protective varnish. I know you may think the job is a bit of a fag but it will be done correctly. Want me to do it when I drop in?

I still think my idea of using a rivet has definite unexplored possibilities though. :shock: #-o

Handyman
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Bear in mind that, perhaps counter-intuitively, the more thinly conductive paint is applied, the lower its resistance (a good thing).
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Richard
the reason behind me starting this thread was for input as to if this type of gooo will cause the screen to shatter through altering the resistance,

trouble is the silver based adhesive/glue is very expensive,

and the heated rear screen repair paint locally is around £15 squid, but i find with this i use it once then the next time i go to use it it has dried up/out,
i have used this repair paint a few times over the years without any prob's, apart from it being cream crackerd the next time i want to use the same bottle,

although in the past i have supper glued to terminal back in place
Regards, malcolm.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I had been advised to use an epoxy resin glue suitable for glass in order to deal with thermal expansion (both from the heating element and the weather conditions). As the connector had come away, I epoxied it in place, waited 24 hours, painted on the silver paint, waited another 24 hours, and then connected the wire. The HRW was still working 2 years later when I sold the car on.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Ah then Malc, to overcome the problem of dried out conductive paint, you need to find more cars with knackered rear screen heaters, then you could use up all the paint in one go! :shock: I can see a leafleting campaign in St Leonards happening. [-X 8-[ Get 'em queuin' up.

I still think the rivet alternative needs exploring, especially if there is any goo involved. :oops:

H
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

There have been a few mentions on this thread of superglueing things to window's.
Some years ago I ran a Windscreen repair business and would very often be called out following someone using superglue to fix a mirror to the screen. The glass would invariably have cracked, centered on the mirror,on the inside, most often the first night after the job was done.
It was explained to me that the glass and the metal expand and contract at different rates, the glue is rigid, somethings got to give and if you've got a good bond it's the glass. DON'T DO IT.
I guess the rear screen would be toughened glass rather than laminated so may react differently, I certainly wouldn't risk it.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)