Is this the place to discuss beer?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Is this the place to discuss beer?

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:Belgian Chocolate, Aussie style.
Yes, I bet that upset the Belgians.

Funny place Belgium. Famous only for chocolate, Hercule Poriot and TinTin... The last two fictional :roll:

Or have I missed something?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

CitroJim wrote:
myglaren wrote:[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20810103]

possibly not but as far as i'm concerned lots of strong Trappist beers and a healthy love of Historic rallying, boy do they love that 8-)
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

CitroJim wrote:
qprdude wrote: Does anyone remember an Aussie brew called Tooths KB lager?
You're not thinking of Tooheys are you? They do a wide variety of bitters.

Toohey's Blue was a beer I could drink and used to consume a few tins of it when I was in Aus. It was quite low in alcohol and much could be consumed with no ill effects. That in fact was possibly the last beer I drank on a regular basis...

I used to avoid VB and MB like the plague. Gosh could that give you a head :twisted:

Definitely Tooths KB. I googled it and I think it's still available in NSW Australia. I got a pic but cant get my photobucket account to work so can't put it up.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Got it. I remember it as being a very sweet lager.

Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:This tread is meaningless to me. I don't drink at all and have not for a good while..

Why? I'm alcohol intolerant. I'm actually totally tolerant of it but my body isn't...

Seems I also have problems with caffeine too :twisted: My life is presently utterly stimulant free. I seem OK with chocolate though and thank goodness for that :)

Chocolate and Citroëns: my only pleasures these days :roll: :lol:
i have the same problem Jim. I do like a drink, but it really screws me up. I'm not a violent drunk or anything like that, I just get silly and it makes me ill for days after. I am 40 in May this year, and everyone wants me to have a big party. I just *know* I'll end up getting wrecked if we do, so I'm trying to avoid it by cunningly booking my nose op for around that time.. I suspect however that we'll still have to have one in the summer..

As for beer - detest it all, don't care whether it's English, Scottish, French, German, Polish, Lithuanian or whatever, it all tastes like refrigerated urine to me!

Give me a nice local cider though, and I'm a happy man. I'm with HellRazor on this one - Waitrose is an excellent source of quite rare, local stuff and every time we do have a party and I feel the urge, I just go and buy 10 or 12 bottles of random cider I've never heard of, and I always have a good time..
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I'm a super taster so beers are a no go for me, I expect brake fluid tastes better.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
myglaren wrote:Belgian Chocolate, Aussie style.
Yes, I bet that upset the Belgians.

Funny place Belgium. Famous only for chocolate, Hercule Poriot and TinTin... The last two fictional :roll:

Yes, lots!

http://www.famousbelgians.net/top10.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or maybe not...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Xac wrote:I'm a super taster so beers are a no go for me, I expect brake fluid tastes better.
Had to google Supertaster. Interesting.

I simply *cannot stand* the taste of any beer or lager at all, it's all disgusting. I can drink Guinness but I'm not a fan. Ciders, not too sweet - that new Stella Cidre is very nice, I can drink until they come out my ears, and bacardi. I struggle with anything else at all.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I don't drink much as I drive a lot, work related (and I have the attitude that if I am driving in the next 24 hours I won't drink). However, last time I was near Burnham on Sea I popped into the farm on the way in, and got some of their scrumpy cider (Bennett's Cider, made at the Chestnut Farm). I don't know the strength, but it bites your teeth. 5L for under £9 (and I still have 2L left). I don't drink much, and I don't get a hangover from it.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Northern_Mike wrote:
Xac wrote:I'm a super taster so beers are a no go for me, I expect brake fluid tastes better.

I simply *cannot stand* the taste of any beer or lager at all, it's all disgusting. I can drink Guinness but I'm not a fan. Ciders, not too sweet - that new Stella Cidre is very nice, I can drink until they come out my ears, and bacardi. I struggle with anything else at all.
I'm anosmic too which makes it even stranger.
Have to have half a mug of milk and 6 sugars with coffee.
Stella cidre tastes like it is made with a mix of red and golden apples, and I'm a granny smiths fan.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I don't drink much as I drive a lot, work related (and I have the attitude that if I am driving in the next 24 hours I won't drink). However, last time I was near Burnham on Sea I popped into the farm on the way in, and got some of their scrumpy cider (Bennett's Cider, made at the Chestnut Farm). I don't know the strength, but it bites your teeth. 5L for under £9 (and I still have 2L left). I don't drink much, and I don't get a hangover from it.
I must try that. I don't drink much at all. Last time I had a drink was April the 28th last year. One the rare occasion that I do, I do tend to get utterly wrecked, and it's usually at home when we have a party as I prefer to drive then I can escape from other people's dull functions when it all becomes too much!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Xac wrote:
Northern_Mike wrote:

I'm anosmic too which makes it even stranger.
Have to have half a mug of milk and 6 sugars with coffee.
Stella cidre tastes like it is made with a mix of red and golden apples, and I'm a granny smiths fan.
My dad is anosmic because of his Parkinson's disease, he first noticed it about 15 years ago. I also have the same problem, but I have do still have a limited sense of smell. In my case it's due to damage to my nose and one nostril does have some sense of smell left.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

How can a ginge with the surname Stevenson, even slightly consider themselves Australian? Especially when they are making chocolates in Belgium...

Tooth's KB Lager is long gone, maybe twenty years dead. The main brewery site in Sydney is now a boutique redevelopment.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: I'm anosmic too which makes it even stranger.
I'm just the opposite. Whilst I believe my sense of taste is normal my sense of smell definitely isn't. I can smell things nobody else can :roll:

I'm like a bloodhound...

And a very great deal of things to me smells nasty and horrible. It's not nice and causes me lots of perhaps extra work keeping things spotlessly clean and smell free... cat food makes we want to wretch and my cat seems to only like the smelliest and nastiest stuff going :roll: :twisted:

I can smell burning and leaking hydrocarbons long before anyone else so I guess it does have it's advantages...

Worst smell in the world is an old spit and sawdust pub in the morning. The smell of stale beer is especially revolting to me.

My sense of smell has redoubled since giving up the fags too... It's even worse now :twisted:

It's honestly not pleasant at all...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
Xac wrote: I'm anosmic too which makes it even stranger.
I'm just the opposite. Whilst I believe my sense of taste is normal my sense of smell definitely isn't. I can smell things nobody else can :roll:

I'm like a bloodhound...

And a very great deal of things to me smells nasty and horrible. It's not nice and causes me lots of perhaps extra work keeping things spotlessly clean and smell free... cat food makes we want to wretch and my cat seems to only like the smelliest and nastiest stuff going
Dry food Jim, it's great. They'll eat it if they are hungry enough, then they'll get used to it and it's supposedly healthier for them.