NEW SPEED CAMERAS

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Re: NEW SPEED CAMERAS

Post by citronut »

you wont be able to see them sneaking up on you once they use these,
that's if there not already

http://tinyurl.com/azlkauu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

regarding speed cameras visibility remember that the motorways are now littered with them in the gantries behind the dot matrix signs, painted grey so unless you're actually looking you won't see them. Not exactly in plain sight....
That is another hoax.

There are no fixed speed cameras on any national speed limit section of the motorway. Though mobile units are known to park on bridges for the easy killings.

There are average speed cameras in many restricted sections (roadworks mostly), there are also cameras on the sections where there are variable speed limits but they are only active when the limit is reduced.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Are there not speed cameras in the gantries on the parts of the M25 and M1 subject to variable speed limits?

I see many instances of the Gatso 'dragon’s teeth' painted on the roads in the vicinity of the gantries and each that has the 'dragon's teeth' also has a speed camera sign prominently displayed...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:Are there not speed cameras in the gantries on the parts of the M25 and M1 subject to variable speed limits?

I see many instances of the Gatso 'dragon’s teeth' painted on the roads in the vicinity of the gantries and each that has the 'dragon's teeth' also has a speed camera sign prominently displayed...
Jim you're 90% right, They often put the markings in places where cameras aren't.

Homer, sorry but it is true. On the managed motorways (so m1 j13-6a) and a big chunk of the m25 has these cameras in.

But feel free to do 90mph past one and you'll see it flash to remind you it's not just an ugly box....
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Chris570 wrote: Jim you're 90% right
That's a distinct improvement on my normal level of rightness then. Excellent, I must be getting better :-D :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

CitroJim wrote:
I must be getting better :-D :-D
you'd flipin well better be hun :-D :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

There's a whole phalanx of these average speed cameras all along the A127 to Saffend On Sea an' back, to catch all those numpty Essexites and chavs that wish to speed.

I have also seen the flash of the gantry speed cameras on the M25, but I think these only operate when they are trying to enforce the speed restrictions. Never been flashed at by these as I stick to the limit when the lights are displaying. No need to tempt fate, is there? [-X

H
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

handyman wrote:
I stick to the limit when the lights are displaying. No need to tempt fate, is there? [-X

H
i aint had any speeding fines through my letter box yet Richartd 8-[ :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
I must be getting better :-D :-D
you'd flipin well better be hun :-D :wink:
Well, I do seem to be Malcolm. I put it down to living a very simple life nowadays with simple food and simple pleasures that do not include nicotine, caffeine, alchohol or stress.

It's a bit monk-like but I don't care, it works!
Jim

Bannedbiker
My Cars: 2003 Peugeot 307 1.6S
1997 Eunos Roadster

Post by Bannedbiker »

I like the story about 4 students who passed a speed camera van in Australia some years back.

They turned round and parked near the camera van. 3 of the students got out and started asking the camera operator about the equipment.

As everyone hated them the operator was surprised at the interest shown. Even so he showed the lads how everything worked.

Meanwhile, while the operator was being distracted, the 4th student got round the front of the camera van and unscrewed the number plate.

They fixed it to the front of their car and went past the camera van 17 times!!!!
2003 Peugeot 307, 1.6 petrol.
Previously owned 1999 Citroen Xantia 1.9 td and a 1997 Citroen ZX 1.9
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Im not entirely sure the motorway gantry cameras are what 'they' would like us to believe. Perhaps they are but I'm sure many people have tested them! You always see people flying under the gantries, despte there being road markings and satnavs warning of cameras.

I believe they are activated when the speed reduction system is in operation. Which is most of the time really, they just cause traffic jams, not reduce them. However there doesn't seem to be any hard evidence of the fact, if they are just for reduced speed restrictions or they cover the national limit anyway. 'They' wouldn't want us to know that :lol:

Of course I have not put them to the test, I have a clean licence :roll:

Probably wouldn't do if those hoax cameras in malcolms first post were real!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroenmad wrote:Im not entirely sure the motorway gantry cameras are what 'they' would like us to believe!
I'm 99% sure they're not, I used to drive round the managed section of the M25 most days when I was a field engineer. I may not have strictly stuck to speed limits. I've never had a ticket on that section, and I don't know anyone who has.

Last time I was in a real hurry with a valid reason was back in 2010 at Christmas when Adriana broke her wrist and was in agony at home with a toddler. Clear road, Xantia 2.0 Auto, pedal nailed to the floor up the A404. They had average speed cameras in the roadworks, and I was fully prepared to accept any punishment, but I just *had* to get home - toddler running about , wife in agony etc. I must stress there was no roadworkers in the roadworks at the time, or I'd have kept it down a bit!

Never heard anything about it and I had the thing doing 3 figures up there..
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The old M25 Heathrow gantry gatsos were mostly fake, only two gantries on each side between the M3 and the north end of them had a single real camera in them.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Xac wrote:The old M25 Heathrow gantry gatsos were mostly fake, only two gantries on each side between the M3 and the north end of them had a single real camera in them.
Yes, this is the section I used to charge around most days in a Berlingo van.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Chris570 wrote: Homer, sorry but it is true. On the managed motorways (so m1 j13-6a) and a big chunk of the m25 has these cameras in.
Do you want to read what I actually wrote?
there are also cameras on the sections where there are variable speed limits but they are only active when the limit is reduced.
Citroenmad wrote: However there doesn't seem to be any hard evidence of the fact, if they are just for reduced speed restrictions or they cover the national limit anyway. 'They' wouldn't want us to know that :lol:
Their operation is clearly defined in the type approval document which is publicly available.

BTW, the ones on the M25 were not being operated due to "technical and legal difficulties".