Is this the place to discuss beer?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Is this the place to discuss beer?

Post by qprdude »

Being totally fed up of crappy big brand beers, I've been sampling a few different breeds recently (between bouts of boxs of decent reds)I've tried Chinese, Polish (from Poland, not furniture polish) Japanese, Italian, South African and most places in between.
Tonights rare and delectable sample came from Marks and Spensers, Brewed at the Meantime brewery in Greenwich and is rather imaginatively named Greenwich Red Ale. It comes in a reasonably sized 750Ml bottle, with a Champers type cork and wire. It's not a strong beer (4%) but you know what? It tastes just like real beer used to taste. Nice mild hoppy flavour, not too gassy and leaves a lovely warm after taste. Just like the good stuff I used to scoff in the Goldsmiths Arms in Acton about 40 years ago. It ain't cheap, but at the price of around three thimble sized bottles of Carlsberg or the like, it's a damned good guzzle of a Friday night. Hic! :wink:
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Is this the place to discuss beer?

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

At least here you would get a meaningful reponlhjawegrflqkbva';jeth'a ZZZZZZZ hic ZZZZZZZ hic!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Yep, I thought I could rely on a decisive answer from a guy from Reading, I have a mate who lives there and he speaks a similar language! :-D :-D =D>
Rick.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Somewhere to consider for good local booze is Waitrose. They do support their local suppliers. My cousin rather likes the Star brewery in Sussex, and his local Waitrose has the full range.

By the way, qprdude, Happy Burns night. I used to live in the Borders (Peebleshire) and I got to like Haggis. I've had some tonight, with tatties and neeps. None of the "Water of Life", as I am working tomorrow, which means I will be driving.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Ah mate, no haggis for me, not since I found out what's in it!. Swimbo likes a decent single malt (Balvenie at the mo), but I'm definitely beer and wine. Haven't got a waitrose in the town, but I'll have a nose around the ones in Aberdeen next time I'm in there (14 miles). Daughter lives near Wokiing so I could get her to sort me out some Sussex stuff if it's west Sussex. Shouldn't be too far.
I'm down that way in March and June so I'll bear it in mind.
Rick.

MTND
My Cars: Xantia 1.9td sx early N reg 1995. owned 17 years!
Alfa Romeo 916 Spider 2005.
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017, Nearly done 300 miles

Post by MTND »

qprdude wrote: Haven't got a waitrose in the town,
You poor person I think they're only in the south at the moment :(
My tipple from Waitrose this evening is "Inferno from Oakham Ales near Rutland Water very nice plus a Golden Champion from Badger in Dorset!
Whisky and Haggis taken as well, lifts me up almost as good as LHM!!! :-D

Mark
1995 Xantia 1.9 TD SX owned 17 years
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV Spider 2005
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

I live in a smallish town with Morrisons, Lidl and Tescos being the big supermarkets, plus a couple of Spar and Co-op's. Oh, I forgot Marks and Sparks and Iceland etc. Aberdeen is 14 miles away, and as I don't have to commute there to work anymore, we just visit every couple of weeks as Our son lives there. Maybe there's a Waitrose there. Sainsbury are usually good with different brands too.
I'd gotten used to just buying cases of Carlesberg/ Miller etc when they were on special offer, until the boss indoors bought me a few one offs to try. I haven't looked back since! Amazing how you just accept crappy beer cos it's in the most prominent shelves and has the biggest labels. I tried some really decent stuff last time we were in Cornwall, but I cant remember the name now.
Rick.

reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Even the mainstream supermarkets sell some decent ales, you just have to look in the tiny space between the massive displays of Stella and Budweiser. There are also hundreds of micro-breweries selling both direct and in local shops. You are more likely to find something good where you live than in Aberdeen tbh.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Moving this to French Car and Beer Chat.

I know nothing about beer* but shouldn't you be discussing the French stuff?

*Except I did like the indigenous Leuwenbrau and Maybock beers in Munich.
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

When i'm over there......after gardening/DIY of course

750ml, 8.5% ABV and less than £2 a bottle...mmmmm ...lovely :-D

just have to remember not to drink 2 close together!

as a substitute, Leffe Bruin or a Grimbergen.
I'm also remembering why i go to Ypres for a week every year & it's not just to watch the IRC/Historic rally :lol:
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

We do have a couple of independent breweries up here. One of them is about 40 miles North of us but I haven't had the courage (no pun intended) to try any of their brew yet. I'm told some of it is stronger than whisky! I think it's called Brewdog, and has quite a cult following.
Rick.

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's about 26° here presently, the house has a lot of soaked heat in it so the 26 is a "hot" 26 coupled with a balmy breeze. Hint of thunderstorm on the horizon, and skin sticky with sweat - even after a shower.

I'm trying to think about sleep - and you blokes are talking about cold beer! :mecker:
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Yep ok French beers - got some Grimbergen and a 750ml Affligem (ok cheating a bit 'cos it's Belgian) in the beerfridge now. Also 1664 which I buy on the ferry - and enjoy drinking with my French mate who's very patriotic and only touches French stuff (except good malts so he's not all bad). After 1 or 3, I point out that it's brewed in the UK. HAhahaha.
BUT one thing I miss when over there is British Beer. Yes caps on purpose. Agree with Waitrose comments. Aint cheap but by far the best selection. Don't forget that Lidl sell Wychwood too. Also mostly in my fridge (it's too cold in the garage or car port) for tonight are Marston's Double Drop and IPA. Her indoors bought me a Wychwood selection at Costco so that's a good back-up. Cornish beer maybe Sharp's Doombar? Lots of Cornish beers about though :-D
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This tread is meaningless to me. I don't drink at all and have not for a good while..

Why? I'm alcohol intolerant. I'm actually totally tolerant of it but my body isn't...

Seems I also have problems with caffeine too :twisted: My life is presently utterly stimulant free. I seem OK with chocolate though and thank goodness for that :)

Chocolate and Citroens: my only pleasures these days :roll: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Just got back from a walk down to the local Marks and sparks. They have some very nice looking beers, but as the pavements are more slippery than slippy the slippery eel, I had no intention of carrying anythe half mile + home.My eye was drawn to the Greenwich Red Ale again, but right next to it, in a Single malt type round box, was their latest brew. A Bourbon Red Ale, matured for a year in bourbon casks. I was well up for it, until I spotted the price. £9.99p a bottle!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
I also noticed that the Ordinary 750ml of Greenwich red ale is £4.99p a bottle. :shock: . I may have to temper my enthusiasm with a more cost concious approach.
I always drink the local brew when away on holiday and a couple of last years Turkish brews have started appearing in pubs. Weatherspoons usually has a decent stock of specials.
Unfortunately, SWIMBO is about to put me on a diet that has a 600 calorie limit for two days of the week, then 5 days of normal scoffing, so I'm told that Mondays and thursdays will be "Adams Ale "days.
Still, 5 days left to sample the good stuff every week should be manageable.
Rick.