Vorsprung Dummkopf Technik

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Vorsprung Dummkopf Technik

Post by DickieG »

Audi never cease to amaze me how the company have managed through marketing to manipulate the companys image to be a producer of quality cars and an intelligent purchase when from my own experience I've observed quite the opposite to be the case with the cars failing in every way to match say a BMW over the period of time.

Today the name Audi reached an all time low for me when I was asked to change a front indicator bulb on a new A4, simple task I thought until I lifted the bonnet and realised that firstly the headlight needed to be removed along with the bonnet shut panel and air box just in order to gain access to the securing bolts, around twelve bolts later after the headlight was removed was when the trouble really started.

There is no access whatsoever to the indicator bulb or daytime running light bulbs through the rear of the headlight assembly. Thinking that I was missing something I consulted the cars handbook and discovered that in the section relating to bulb replacement it convieniently makes no mention whatsoever of only these two bulbs. I then phoned an Audi dealer and spoke to a technician who needed to consult the workshop manual which stated "You need to cut a hole in the back of the headlight to gain access then purchase a bulb kit which includes a bung to close the newly made hole",,,,,,,,,,,,

Audi, words fail me [-X
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Re: Vorsprung Dummkopf Technik

Post by Deanxm »

Sealed for life headlamps, priceless. Did you have to mutter a few expletives to yourself today then Richard :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Deanxm wrote:Sealed for life headlamps, priceless. D
This is not a new thing, but the ones I last changed were about £8 each back in the 90s on my grandad's Reliant Robin.
C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

thats not soo bad I have heard of one of their cars needing a indicator bulb replaced except you cant replace the bulb its the whole unit and then you need to tell the on board computer that you have changed the unit so a dealer only. I used to think it was a pain on the KA remove front wheel remove wheel arch stick hand in behind light and hope you pull the right bulb out realise you haven't and repeat with lots of cursing
2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110hp Exclusive only done 218,000miles so just about run in. Family owned from new. Now Sold

2002 Renault Scenic 1.9Dci 111,000miles the new work bus
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Well, that's just lovely isn't it. :twisted: :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I appreciate this valuable snippet. I'm now comfortable changing one for a decent enough fee.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

When's our weakling government going to stand up to the SMMT, and get car manufacturers to build cars which are "Fit for purpose"? Too much to expect :(
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

What's wrong with you lot? That all sounds perfectly logical to me, if you cant access the lamp [-X . Now where's me holesaw...... :shock:

You could not even make it up.

H
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Umm, what about the law in some EU lands which requires one to carry spare bulbs and make it an offence if you drive with a light out?

Fat chance of being law-abiding in an Audi then. Might as well go and detain yourself at her majesty's pleasure right away and save the boys in blue a job :roll: :lol:

Xantidote yes, this car is not fit for purpose on the basis of the above. Sure the C and U regs must say something about making bulbs easy to replace given they're a consumable and required to be working at all times by law...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Well said Dickie. I have a passionate hatred for Audis as overpriced VWs void of any soul or character. Also the kind of people they attract these days is another off putter. I honestly think I'd rather a Proton Savvy or CityRover to a new Audi A4 TDi. At least they're not trying to be something they're not!

BMWs on the other hand are fantastic machines. I regret selling my 540i every time I see an E39. I'll have to get another.

However im not passing comment on the bulb change. Try a front indicator on a Mégane II with xenon headlights. I have yet to be successful - two failed attempts due to sliced knuckles and wrists... MOT in August so I've got 7 months of practise at least!
French is best.
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

I've never had any desire at all for an Audi , I mean why when BMW,s are far better or just buy a Skoda octavia and save a fortune :lol:

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'll take a French or Italian car anyday over a German one. At the very least it will come with indicators as standard, and padding on the seats.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

You are all forgetting, why would the indicator bulb ever need replacing if it is never used?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:You are all forgetting, why would the indicator bulb ever need replacing if it is never used?
Good point well made Xac :lol: :lol:
Jim