GCOTY

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Zutalors

GCOTY

Post by Zutalors »

Yes folks, it's that time of year again! French website Ledorga has announced that the European Gay Car of the Year is........

The Mini Roadster!

The competition is open to any new model from the previous 12 months, and the members get to vote on which car offers the most in terms of style, choice, etc.

Here are the full results, naturally for a French website there are a few 'voitures Francais' in there -

MINI ROADSTER 168 points
MERCEDES CLASSE A 139 points
RENAULT CLIO 127 points
AUDI A3 116 points
RENAULT TWIZY 110 points
BMW SERIE 6 GRAN COUPE 97 points
VOLVO V40 95 points
MERCEDES CLASSE SL 89 points
PEUGEOT 208 88 points
CITROEN C4 AIRCROSS 84 points
FERRARI F12 83 points
MERCEDES CLS SHOOTING BRAKE 69 points
FIAT 500L 66 points
TOYOTA GT86 52 points
PORSCHE 911 CABRIOLET 51 points
PORSCHE BOXSTER 49 points
LANCIA FLAVIA 48 points
JAGUAR XF SPORTBRAKE 37 points
PORSCHE 911 COUPE 32 points
MERCEDES CLASSE GL 31 points
OPEL ASTRA GTC 31 points
FORD RANGER 21 points
HONDA CIVIC 19 points
BMW SERIE 3 TOURING 17 points
PEUGEOT 4008 16 points
SUBARU BRZ 16 points
DACIA SANDERO 14 points
FORD B MAX 14 points
FIAT PANDA 13 points
KIA CEE'D 13 points
SEAT MII 10 points
DACIA DOKKER 9 points
ISUZU D-MAX 9 points
MAZDA CX-5 9 points
CHEVROLET CRUZE SW 7 points
HONDA CR-V 7 points
HYUNDAI SANTA FE 7 points
HYUNDAI i30 6 points
KIA CEE'D SW 6 points
CHEVROLET MALIBU 2 points
SKODA CITIGO 2 points
HYUNDAI i30 SW 1 point
DACIA LODGY 0 point
DACIA LOGAN 0 point
SEAT TOLEDO 0 point

http://www.ledorga.fr/en/election-voitu ... -2013.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy!
91 405 Diesel Estate + 93 205 Diesel
94 405 GTX TD Estate
98 406 2.1TD Estate + 96 Clio 1.9D
99 Clio 1.9D + Focus 1.8 Petrol (Why?!? It was cheap!)
06 206 Sport 1.6 HDI110 + 09 308 1.6 HDI
09 308 1.6HDI
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: GCOTY

Post by CitroJim »

Confirms what I always thought... :roll: :-D

Where's the Range Rover Sport in that list?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:Confirms what I always thought... :roll: :-D

Where's the Range Rover Sport in that list?
I know 4 people who own MINIs. They're all gay. I have no gripe with that at all, and the cars are actually very nice. It's just odd that they all own MINIs. The two other gay men I know own Alfas.

I know two gay women. They drive Panda cars.

Range Rover Sports? Jim, they're all driven by footballers, their wives, or wannabees..
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Northern_Mike wrote: Range Rover Sports? Jim, they're all driven by footballers, their wives, or wannabees..
Yes, but the car itself is as gay as a gay thing Mike.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
Northern_Mike wrote: Range Rover Sports? Jim, they're all driven by footballers, their wives, or wannabees..
Yes, but the car itself is as gay as a gay thing Mike.
It shouts "I'm owned by a gay person" as much as a 2cv shouts "I'm owned by a small ginger bearded vegetarian in sandals"...

Though how the 2cv got that reputation, I have no idea. I only knew one small ginger bearded veggie who owned one. The rest have been reasonably normal, despite the car itself being somewhat bizarre.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

You often find Mike, the more bizarre the car the more normal the owner....

Look at XM owners for instance - a more normal lot you couldn't hope to find...
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I don't see why such a list is relevant. I mean, why not "Christian COTY" or "Islamic COTY" if one wants to needlessly pigeonhole subgroups?

For the record, I know three gay CX drivers, ten gay Dee owners (all but two third front; is there something in that? :shock: ) a gay GS owner and a gay Deuche/Xantia owner. Oh, and a couple of hardworking blokes who love their 307 HDi Touring. Whether the true love of someone's life is a man, a woman, a squirrel or a raspberry cane is not of any concern to me.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It's only a bit of fun Adam. At least that's how I saw it :)
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Xaccers »

addo wrote:I don't see why such a list is relevant. I mean, why not "Christian COTY" or "Islamic COTY" if one wants to needlessly pigeonhole subgroups?

For the record, I know three gay CX drivers, ten gay Dee owners (all but two third front; is there something in that? :shock: ) a gay GS owner and a gay Deuche/Xantia owner. Oh, and a couple of hardworking blokes who love their 307 HDi Touring. Whether the true love of someone's life is a man, a woman, a squirrel or a raspberry cane is not of any concern to me.

Think of it like this Adam; in the UK at least during the early 80s, many skin'eds were violently homophobic (thank goodness they didn't work out they could use the Portsmouth Defence to get off. I understand Australia has a similar "gay panic" defence) and in response the gay community started adopting the fashion, thus making such thugs appear to be what they hated and "spoiling their fun" without having to resort to retaliatory violence. Others in the community adopted the words that previously had been used with derision such as gay, bender, queer and used them with light tones, similar to the way the n word has been adopted amongst the black community (a word I don't think I will ever feel comfortable saying as I have had much less contact with the black communities which use the word than I have with the gay communities that use ex-homophobic words). With this adoption and redefining of words, it has spilt over into the heterosexual lexicon with the lighter meanings. In Shaun of the Dead, was Nick Frost's charactor being derogatory when he used the word "Gay"? No of course not, it's now a word used amonsts mates with no real links to homosexuality.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Re:

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:No of course not, it's now a word used amonsts mates with no real links to homosexuality.
Precisely, it has a number of meanings and one is to describe anything that's seen by the describer to be a bit pathetic or pointless. As in 'That xyz is really gay!' Youngsters use it a lot and I believe have no specific terms for homosexuality at all. In fact it's one of those things in the younger sections of the community that's just accepted as-is, end of...

My use and interpretation of list and the addition of a subsequent vehicle was done very much using the youngster’s definition of the word. And very much tongue in cheek...
Jim