"Flyboys" posting in the Sales/Wanted Forum

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

"Flyboys" posting in the Sales/Wanted Forum

Post by handyman »

Shame we don't have a rule on here about new people not posting in the Sale/Wants Forum, until they have significant postings in the rest of the forum.

It is a rule on another unrelated forum I post to regularly and it might stop all these flyboys that seem to have appeared here of late.

Handyman
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: "Flyboys" posting in the Sales/Wanted Forum

Post by spider »

Could be done with a group change or something I sort of agree it may be semi sensible to now allow new members to post in those forums until they have say x posts, but then again some people join with the express purpose of that area. I guess it depends if they are selling or buying. Even something like 2 or 5 posts sounds reasonable.

A buyer it would be unfair maybe to restrict them if they joined to buy something but seller I can see the value (no pun intended) in not allowing someone to join then immediately sell stuff.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

There are many reasons why we don't have this.

1. It stops people spamming the other forum areas just so they can sell that low mileage XM their grandad needs to get rid of.
2. It stops people spamming the other forum areas with questions such as "Why can't I post in the For Sale area?"
3. Single post doesn't equal dodgy dealer, in fact on many forums the sales problems come with members who've been around quite a while.
5. Where's 4?
6. Every mod or change we apply to the server then has to be tested against any newer versions of PHPBB, and normally this means manually re-applying any mods. EVERY MOD. EVERY. Excuse me while I go rock gently in the corner for a moment.
4. Look who I found in the corner.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
spider

Post by spider »

Xac wrote:6. Every mod or change we apply to the server then has to be tested against any newer versions of PHPBB, and normally this means manually re-applying any mods. EVERY MOD. EVERY. Excuse me while I go rock gently in the corner for a moment.
I can sympathise with that as that's part of what I do, but yeah manual file edits assuming it still works :twisted:

Xac wrote:5. Where's 4?
Someone stole it :o
Xac wrote:4. Look who I found in the corner.
Andy.

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

One of the phone developers forums I go on has a 10 post rule before being able to post in a phone development thread.
The result is their other sections are spammed by new users ressurecting ancient threads just to say "Yeah, totally" or creating numerous threads complaining about the 10 post requirement, or starting new threads on the matter in the wrong area. It's a moderator's nightmare.
Lets say we have a 2 post minimum and someone starts a for sale thread in the Citroen section as soon as they join.
Do we move that to the for sale section even though the member only has 1 post, or do we delete it and come across as unfriendly, or do we hide it away and PM the member to say "Make one more post anywhere you like and we'll make your for sale thread visible again"

DIY sphere tool
spider

Post by spider »

Yes I can see where you're coming from.

I think its best if potential buyers just take note of posters post count / join date if in doubt, I know most will be honest but I dare say I'd be more suspicious of a new poster wanting say PP payment for some items to be posted etc.
Andy.

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Indeed, as with all transactions; caveat emptor and caveat venditor.
Get everything in writing (unless it's from Jim, he's pretty trustworthy) and if it feels dodgy it probably is.

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: Get everything in writing (unless it's from Jim, he's pretty trustworthy) and if it feels dodgy it probably is.
Thank you Xac :-D That's very kind of you to say...

This subject was discussed fully amongst the admins and the points illustrated by Xac (including point 4) have carried the decision that such a scheme will not be implemented...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Yes, but it still does not stop me voicing an opinion.

The other forum I post on where this rule applies, about significant postings prior to access in Sales/Wants, is usually 'policed' by other forum members who decry any would be poster who does not follow the rules. It is accepted by forum members that there are rules to be adhered to for the benefit of all, but then most of those forum members are adult in their attitude too.

H
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

handyman wrote:Yes, but it still does not stop me voicing an opinion.
H
Indeed :)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:
H
Indeed :)
And we admins are always very happy to receive any ideas and opinions to make this a better place :wink: :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

I think it's fine the way it is, and I'll give an example

I had a pair of LHD BX headlamps left over from way back. I posted them on here, and nothing happened.

A few weeks later I found the BXClub forum. I said I hoped nobody would mind my first post being an ad, and offered them for free, just the cost of a courier if necessary.

Gone in a day or so.

There will be dodgy posts from time to time, but putting hurdles in the way would block other mutually advantageous opportunities as well
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

The other forum I post on where this rule applies, about significant postings prior to access in Sales/Wants, is usually 'policed' by other forum members who decry any would be poster who does not follow the rules.
H
I find this sort of "policing" often generates more bad feeling than the adverts they are complaining about. As long as an ad is French car related, it might be of use to someone on here somewhere. Of course, if the ad is for a 2002 plate non-running C5 2.2 HDi priced at £4000 , all we are going to do with it is rip the p155 of it , so the OP is unlikely to come back anyway! It's a better way of policing spammers than simply shouting at them for advertising. :-D
Last edited by Northern_Mike on 22 Jan 2013, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

And also, virtually all the time there's an admin logged on and watching so any rogues usually get quietly dealt with before they're seen by most of the readership. We do appreciate vigilant members who notice something iffy before we do and report it in a timely manner so that action may be taken.

Generally, as has been said, the system works pretty well and it's the exception rather than the rule that something a bit dodgy slips past our hawk-eyes.

A lot of potentially questionable stuff is stopped even before that. We delete account requests rather than give any benefit of the doubt if we have even the slightest reservations about them. We do on occasion delete and reject genuine applications and often when we've done that the applicant will get hold of us by email and all will be resolved.
Jim

binty88

Post by binty88 »

i happen to be a french car enthusiast, and have owned sevral french cars.
i have posted in the forsale area for my first post simply because.
i had to buy a van full of parts just to get the couple of things i needed.
this was from a dealership that was closing down.
this forum was the first place i thaught of simply because
some of the parts that i have are hard to come buy, ie a new origional 505 headlight
all are new oe parts and all in excellent condition.
i thaught that rather than stick it all on ebay, ide rather let the people on this forum a chance to buy some
oe parts for less than half the price they would cost new.
if people dont want to buy the stuff i have just because ive not been a member since the beggining of time..
then dont buy them. i dont mind.