XUD Injector Cleaning

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

XUD Injector Cleaning

Post by evilally »

I have acquired an ultra-sonic bath previously used for cleaning surgical instruments. Could I use this to clean the injectors from my 406? If so, what fluid would I use, and are there any special considerations for the needle lift sensor?
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: XUD Injector Cleaning

Post by CitroJim »

It's worth a go Ally. I'd be inclined to use brake cleaner as the fluid. Despite it normally coming in aerosol cans it is also available 'loose' in 5 litre cans at not too much money. It's quite slow to evaporate too.

All the 'good' (as in very effective) solvents you might have used like carbon tetrachloride, Arklone and 1,1,1 trichlorethylene ('trike') have all been banned now. It quite worries me as in my younger days I spent years immersed in the stuff almost - often in ultrasonic baths... Maybe that's why I'm suffering with my health a bit now :roll:

I'd say there was no issue with the NLS as it should be well enough sealed.

I'd fully dismantle the injectors but be sure to keep the individual parts of each injector together, taking particular note of the shim placement under the spring as these set the calibrated opening pressure. Perhaps you could find four small baskets to contain the pasrt of each injector so they can all be done in one batch.

Please let us know how it goes.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Thanks Jim, I think I will give it a go. After 185k I bet they could do with a clean! I will post my results when I (eventually) get around to it.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Methyl Ethyl Ketone might just do the job and sounds nice too.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I do note they have banned "proper" cleaning fluids now, they banned Creosote a few years back too. Fortunately I'd just redone my back fence with some I purchased just before the ban at the time, although it could do with re-doing again. The "pretend" stuff is reasonable but does not last as long.

It is (was) nasty stuff though I ensured I wore a good layer of really old clothes and good long gloves. I did not mind the smell though at all.

* has thoughts about old sump oil and painting that on* :oops: as that cannot be banned given how easy it is to obtain.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote: * has thoughts about old sump oil and painting that on* :oops: as that cannot be banned given how easy it is to obtain.
It works excellently Andy and even better mixed 50/50 with creosote!

Only problem is, it's black. I know of an old garden shed preserved all its life with old oil and it's still good now. It's got to be a good 70 years old...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I must have used gallons of MEK in my time, long before anyone bothered with gloves and respirators, and, like Jim, occasionally worry about its effects. Apparently it strips the insulation off your nerves :shock:
We used to keep working until about to pass out, then go outside for some fresh air.
They closed the whole centre of town here a few years ago when a can of it was found in a cellar!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

dnsey wrote: We used to keep working until about to pass out, then go outside for some fresh air.
Yep, that brings back fond memories :lol: Nearly passed out from the stuff, out in the fresh air and then light up a fag. What we did as youngsters seems beyond belief now :roll:
Jim