S1 v S2 Xantia

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: S1 v S2 Xantia

Post by CitroJim »

Citroenmad wrote: the inertia reel lap on the S1 is how lap belts should be, otherwise they are left flapping around on the seat ..
Ahh yes, well Mr. Citroen thought of that on the S2 and popped a dummy buckle on the top of the rear seat so the lap belt can be clipped into it when not in use and thus keep it tidy. Likewise there’s a dummy for each of the belt buckles to clip them in when out of use and to prevent them getting lost under the seat when the seat base is folded down.

Now if only the rear seat backs would fold down without removing the headrests. This is a problem on both S1 and S2 and has always niggled me.

I note there is no need to remove the headrests on the XM when folding the rear seats. I appreciate that and only wish they'd done the same on the Xantia.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Ah we'll, at least they have thought of something. However, i wonder why it was changed to a standard lap belt, costs no doubt. To then have to put a dummy buckle to take the belt, it does make you think, was any money saved? I do like the clips on the rear seat belt buckles, however I have always got to that've them plugged in once someone has left the backseat :lol:

Yes, that is something I like about the C5 too, no need to remove the headrests to fold the seats. Which on my Xantia estate means storing three leather headrests somewhere in the car while the seats are folded.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Plenty of room in the rear footwells for the headrests.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Started the old girl up today- I noticed the mileometer has only gone up by two miles since the last MOT----24 April 2012. I know a de-catted exhaust seems to make a TD more sprightly and a bit more economical, but this is exceptional economy, :-D . The car is in my garden, on sorn and not taxed. Probably be there till next April too, the way motoring expenses are going up.

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Citroenmad wrote:Which on my Xantia estate means storing three leather headrests somewhere in the car while the seats are folded.
You store them in the holes on the rear edge of the seat bottoms which are on top when the seats are folded down.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:Which on my Xantia estate means storing three leather headrests somewhere in the car while the seats are folded.
You store them in the holes on the rear edge of the seat bottoms which are on top when the seats are folded down.
Yes, but you still have to remove them in the first place... Rubbish design.... :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

DickieG wrote:
Ah yes! I had forgotten about those holes :lol: #-o
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Just get a C5 instead.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Rattiva_Mike wrote:Just get a C5 instead.
That is another can of worms ... C5I, C5II or C5III? :roll:

Best not get into that :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroenmad wrote:
That is another can of worms ... C5I, C5II or C5III? :roll:

Best not get into that :lol:
If I was going to answer this question, which I'm not, as it would make the thread drift, I'd answer with Series 1 2.0 136BHP diesel. I don't like the headlights on the facelift car, and the later ones have those metal spring things.

Anyway, it's irrelevant, as I'm not answering that question on this thread :P
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Rattiva_Mike wrote: If I was going to answer this question, which I'm not, as it would make the thread drift
Well, that's a first. Never known such a thing on the FCF as an active and deliberate attempt to keep a thread on-topic...

:roll: :lol:

Whatever next? Aeronautical pigs?
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
Rattiva_Mike wrote: If I was going to answer this question, which I'm not, as it would make the thread drift
Well, that's a first. Never known such a thing on the FCF as an active and deliberate attempt to keep a thread on-topic...

Whatever next? Aeronautical pigs?
A couple of days ago, we had a failed disk in one of our large storage units, and a failure in one of the switches. I'd seen them earlier on my walkabout, and logged them out as faults. Later on, I saw them and all the lights were green. I went to report this to one of the team who deals with the Unix side of things. A very intelligent chap, mid 50s I'd guess. Mad professor sort.

"Hmm. Yes. They're ok now. That's not normal. I wonder what caused it? Could it be sunspots?"

At this point, I thought he was joking.

He wasn't.

What had turned into a 10 seconds "Hey, Mr X, your switches are ok now", turned into a 45 minute lesson about sunspots, their causes, pictures on various internet sites of the sun taken through different filters, different X-ray images, magnetic images and sunspot and solar flare timings.

A couple of the sites are here :

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SWN/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think you'll find it quite interesting actually Jim..

Now, is that more like FCF topic drift?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Rattiva_Mike wrote: Now, is that more like FCF topic drift?
Absolutely splendid Mike. Topic drift at it's very finest. Thank you :-D

Actually yes, very interested as sunspots determine very directly the best HF radio frequencies to be used on any particular communications path according to time of day and so on... That is something I am very interested in still.

One of my jobs many, many years ago was to draw the frequency prediction charts for destinations we were in communication with by HF Radio. All that was needed to start off the process was a knowledge of the predicted smoothed sunspot number for the month in question.

I computerised it in the end. Wrote the software in C to run on an IBM XT compatible machine (early PC). It was quite slow to run but after popping a maths co-processor in the PC it flew like the wind... The software did an awful lot of floating point number crunching...
Jim

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

CitroJim wrote: I have an S1 and an S2 and there's only one feature on an S2 worth having and that's the automatic wipers...
Andy wonders how difficult it would be to retro fit these, on a non plexed car it does not sound too bad its the rain sensor and the control relay and switch. I'm sure someone retro fitted this from a S2 306 to an S1 a few years back although I cannot remember. Then again...
CitroJim wrote: One of my jobs many, many years ago was to draw the frequency prediction charts for destinations we were in communication with by HF Radio. All that was needed to start off the process was a knowledge of the predicted smoothed sunspot number for the month in question.

I computerised it in the end. Wrote the software in C to run on an IBM XT compatible machine (early PC). It was quite slow to run but after popping a maths co-processor in the PC it flew like the wind... The software did an awful lot of floating point number crunching...
Sort of reminds me of one of my (school) projects, around 88 / 89. They wanted some kind of hospital admission / departure data from what I remember. It turned out we should of just designed the schema (the layout of fields in effect, pre mysql days) with some sample examples, I wrote the code to do the whole lot, the complete program on paper for BBC Basic having misunderstood the instructions :oops: , I should of known better as I think I was the only "programmer" for want of a better phrase there at the time. At least Acorn Econet was easily "tweaked" as they did not understand the concept of higher station numbers (I'll spare you) ;) Never bothered to try it properly it may of worked with a few tweaks to the arrays. It was not part of the exam unfortunately it was the year before. I guess it upset the teacher that I could do that at a guess, we never did get on. :-k I still got a terrible grade in GCSE IT though, "E" I think :( which really gutted me (I'd of expected a high grade) but it did not really matter really as it was all in my head.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG