Peugeot / Citroën Clutch Mix-n-Match

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Peugeot / Citroën Clutch Mix-n-Match

Post by addo »

One for the greybeards, possibly.

There are squillions of various clutch kit numbers from PSA, then you go to an aftermarket supplier like Valeo and they name their kit as an interchange for maybe a dozen of these part numbers.

Breaking it down further, how abusible are the kits? I mean (example plucked from thin air) will a 1.9D cover and disc fit on a 1.1 petrol flywheel and bolt up? I see so many listed as 200mm clutches, and wonder if the fixing pattern and friction disc thicknesses are not generally the same. I realise the offset of the splined hub in the friction disc may vary, but even there I see so many with the same spline count and nominal diameter I question the sanity of making changes in a production environment. Would it not just risk more confusion and failures?

A bit of shared knowledge might help forum members buy the orphan clutch kits and then chase up (say) just a different release bearing or friction disc to make a budget success story.
handyman
My Cars:

Re: Peugeot / Citroën Clutch Mix-n-Match

Post by handyman »

Addo, I think you need to be checking the individual part numbers as that will give you access to the cross references for individual applications to identify a part with a number of different vehicle uses. Easier than trying to find and measure each separate component in various kits.

The Valeo trade listings used to show this and I think Citroen Service still do, although there have been a number changes last year. I no longer have my hard copies of these catalogues. :shock: I used to be able to do it with Borg & Beck, LUK and AE Components, many years ago to make up kits for exotic cars from more mundane applications, ie Vauxhall to Lotus, etc.

H
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The barbe gris comment was tongue-in-cheek; I have more white hair than is proper for a 40-something. But good to see I'm not the only one with a practical mind for the combinations possible.
handyman
My Cars:

Re: Peugeot / Citroën Clutch Mix-n-Match

Post by handyman »

Some hair, any hair would be nice! [-o<

H