Berlingo Temp Issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jono_h

Berlingo Temp Issue

Post by jono_h »

Hoping for a quick bit of advice on a 2004 1.4 Petrol Berlingo.

Out this morning on the way to work and got the STOP warning and beeps. Pulled over and noticed that the temp gauge was well in the red. Looked under the bonnet, expansion tank level on minimum with no pressure when cap removed, radiator cold enough to touch, one hose hot, one hose warm.

Got to destination, topped up water and have been running arond this afternoon with no problem, except the temp gauge doesn't rise above the first dash (unless in traffic when it creeps to the normal range), and the blower is warm-hot rather than red hot.

It seems like the thermostat stuck shut this morning causing it to overheat, and is now stuck open so it won't warm up correctly - but that sounds like quite a concidence.

Any ideas? Thank you.
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Re: Berlingo Temp Issue

Post by lurchy666 »

definattly sounds like u need a new stat, i have known then to either jam open or jam shut but never both, could have jammed shut and damaged it self i suppose and now its unable to close again

personally id fit a new stat and anti freeze then see how it goes but keep a close eye on the temp needle incase it does it again indicating something else is wrong
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
jono_h

Re: Berlingo Temp Issue

Post by jono_h »

Just to confirm, in case anyone has a similar issue, that a new thermostat has solved the problem.

The old one was warped, so the moving part was catching on it's frame. It must have initially jammed shut, but then opened slightly and jammed in that position.

Thanks.