Story of the 406 issue

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Story of the 406 issue

Post by davoxx »

Let me tell you a story (it makes me feel better about it) ...
There was a 2000 406 HDi that was perfect with no engine codes.
One day, following a day of heavy rain and a drive through such rain, there was an error message about brake fluid being low. The fluid was checked and nothing was found to be wrong with it and no leak could be detected.
After a 5 min drive the car stopped, no power to the breaks and had to be coasted to the curb.
Now there was an engine management light on, and car would not start.
A few panicked calls to me resulted in my usual suggestion of unplugging battery and waiting 5 minutes.
Lo an behold the car started and all seemed okay, till 10 minutes later, when it repeated it's hissy fit. The car does this every now and then sometimes starting, sometimes not, even stationary.

A quick search on Google brought me this http://www.warrantyguide.co.uk/vehicle- ... ert-recall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; followed by this http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls ... =Blank&tx=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So off to a local Peugeot dealer I went.
They brought up there magical computer system and entered the vin and told that the car was never recalled for this problem, so therefore it was not that problem. I asked how did they know, and they said "we don't but the car is 12 years old, so we won't cover it under warranty".
I am doubtful of Peugeot doing anything to help unless I pay for it regardless if the car should have been recalled or not, they don't want people buying their cars based on what I've heard about other peoples dealings with them.

So now to the audience to ask for their help with a happy ending ... anyone have any ideas where the "engine management solenoid valve" is and if I can just spray it with WD40 to fix it? Or should I replace it with a new sealed part? Or maybe I am wrong and it is something else completely?
why?
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Re: Story of the 406 issue

Post by lurchy666 »

check if yours has the modded valve (sorry dont know where it is), if it has the older valve (obvusually wont have any weather proofing stuff on it) go to peugeot and tell them to sort the problem as it should have been in the recall, if they wont refer it to vosa with a copy of that website and get them on the case,

maybe if you bring up your error codes with pp or lexia you could see what is wrong with yours, in the citroen section there is a list of lexia (pp ) owners (hopefully thre is one local) who will if asked nicely and maybe some beer tokens will read your codes for you
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

I have had the 406 in my possession for a week now.
Apologies in advance for being vague with the causes and symptoms, I was not involved for some of the issues so I am not 100% what is what.

The engine management light will stay on for a few journeys then go off.
I had an error for the injectors, and I checked that relay (i think it is the right one?), which seems fine, cleared the error and it did not return immediately (someone else had a look at the car and clear it again they said).

I was looking for a loose connector and hitting the throttle position sensor stalled the engine and seemed to reproduce the issue in that I could not start the car for a while till I gave it another smack. I was driving it and I felt that the brakes were losing power and had to slam them, though that could just be because I am spoilt by xantia brakes.

So I now have these error codes that I can not get rid off - P00C8 and P00CC, and when I start the car I get a false warning that the brake fluid is low, twice. But no engine management light!!
Engine load is at 40% on start up lowering to 20% when warm (after 30 mins).

Any idea what is wrong with the car?
Last edited by davoxx on 25 Nov 2012, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
why?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

There was a concern with some 406's where the "brake fluid low!" message would come on, the cause was actually the handbrake switch as its connected to the same light and triggers the message. I'm not sure what years were effected, not that many cars I think. Cannot remember if there was a cure for it (something tells me in the back of my mind it would be like that sometimes) although an ECU update may cure.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

I'll check the handbrake cable out tomorrow, once it stops pissing rain.

Any ideas on the error codes?
why?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

It was the switch not the cable.

Check that the warning light (on the instrument panel) the ( ! ) one does not come on if the handbrake is off and you gently wiggle the lever side to side or suchlike.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

spider wrote:It was the switch not the cable.

Check that the warning light (on the instrument panel) the ( ! ) one does not come on if the handbrake is off and you gently wiggle the lever side to side or suchlike.
Wiggling does not turn the (!) light one.

The stalling issue was apparent yesterday morning. The car would stall and not start again when cold/warm driving, stationary or turning around corners.
The dealer plugged it to their lexia and the error is for earthing on 3&4 injector.

Might have a look at it this weekend.
why?
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

Had a quick look at the handbrake, the warning for low brake fluid only comes on with the handbrake being on. It does not come on if I wiggle the handbrake while it is off. This is not an issue so I'm parking this for a bit.

The main problem is the stalling. Apparent when the weather is cold (possible wet as well?) the car stalls randomly and will not start up again for a varying period between seconds to minutes. The car stalls at idle, while driving when the engine is warm and when it is cold. The dealer thought it might be the wiring harness on the injectors being chaffed (based on the error codes), but I can't see any significant chaffing. Where does the end of this harness plug into?
The connection to the fuel pump (the black cylinder in engine bay) is broken and was damp, I thought this might be the cause and did a patch job fix, which might be no good. Could this be the issue?
why?