New MOT Certificate

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

New MOT Certificate

Post by DickieG »

I took my daughters car for its MOT this morning and discovered that the latest addition to the pass certificate is that in the space below "Test Class" there is new a box containing a list of all the previous MOT dates and mileages, good move VOSA =D>
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: New MOT Certificate

Post by Xaccers »

Very useful!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Whilst they've managed to make one of the most essential/important documents in
car ownership look the naffest and most dodgy to fake load of nonsense, here in sunny
Wales, there's not enough room for such cleverness as previous dates etc on the crap
that pretends to be a Test Certificate here as the mandatory bilingual doubling up
of English/Welsh makes even fitting the essentials like date and reg number almost
impossible on one side of A4.

There really should be the right to opt out/in whatever language registered on
their all knowing all seeing clever & never wrong BIG computer that can issue the
preferred language on the Reg Docs, Tax renewal forms and Driving Licence. The
Welsh speakers will love Welsh only and the ENGLISH VERSION IS PRINTED ALREADY
so x2 version are already produced FFS! It's all electronic anyhow whereas carpet
bombing both languages in some cases as separate info leaflets/booklets as well
as documentation is a stupid repetitive/hideous waste of resources - I get tonnes
of crap monthly in the post from DVLA in reminders, SORN acknowledgment letters
to the point it's difficult to see the wood for the trees and what's essential and what
is official fluff.

Then I'll get nasty letters demanding monies with menaces for SORNS I've missed
and not declared. :roll: Barstewards.

Hmmm, touched a bit of a raw nerve there Richard! :lol:
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That must be very new Richard as when I had my XM MOT'd recently that was not on the certificate.

Good idea though, absolutely excellent in fact...

Andrew, be proud of your language and the fact it's survived every attempt to stamp it out. That's excellent and long may the language live. Next step for the Welsh is to do away with English - there, that'll leave plenty of room on the MOT certificate.

A yw hyn yn iawn i chi? :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

It's not my language Jim, I'm a dispossessed Gordie boy!

The thing with Welsh is there's more than one version and all are a PITA
when I have to design layouts and make them fit in the space that the
English equivalent occupies - they inevitably run longer by another 1/3rd!
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

andmcit wrote: The thing with Welsh is there's more than one version and all are a PITA
I know. I'm still debating, with my future plans and ambitions in mind, if I learn the North or South dialect :roll: The bit of the country where I'd like to end up it's a bit of a toss-up really..

Still made a start with the car. Have a look at the new numberplate :wink:

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:That must be very new Richard as when I had my XM MOT'd recently that was not on the certificate.
Indeed my tester said it had just started that very morning.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote:
CitroJim wrote:That must be very new Richard as when I had my XM MOT'd recently that was not on the certificate.
Indeed my tester said it had just started that very morning.
That coincides then with the timing of the abolishment of MOTs on pre-1960 cars... I knew that was coming for sure because my tax reminder notice told me. It told me that if my car was built/registered before 1960 then I'd not require an MOT after November 18th.

It worries me - a statement like that - I'm sure their computer can work out when printing the reminder that it won't apply to my car but then I forget it's a government thing...

Something else a little puzzling on the general MOT front: I taxed the XM at the post office last week. The postal official behind the counter was only interested in the V5C. He didn't even look at the insurance and MOT certificates I'd carefully taken along. I guess now they see their status as soon as the barcode on the V5 is scanned.

He told me off for bringing the old tax disc along too; something I was told off for NOT doing last time I taxed a car at the PO. He was worried that if my car was parked on a public road (it was) it might be clamped or crushed by the time I got back to it.....
Jim

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Reminds me.

When you get a tax reminder, notice it says to bring along your insurance and MOT certificate.

Thing is, these days you should not need to bring them at all, as when you're stopped by the law, they can instantly tell if you have said credentials (allowing for when the MID screws things up which is very inconvenient) so why do you need to take anything other that letter / form and some monies ?

I did mention this when buying tax a few months ago but got a vague reply about them not being able to check it. Would save hunting for paperwork as put by Jim above they only give it a cursory glance anyway.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote: I did mention this when buying tax a few months ago but got a vague reply about them not being able to check it.
That's a lot more than I got when I asked said official about it Andy.. Vague mumbles and a cheery question "Would I like some cash?" was all I got...

Seems they have to keep whatever they do and how they do it very quiet...
Jim

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

andmcit wrote: The thing with Welsh is there's more than one version and all are a PITA
Well you know the old saying.... When in Rome do as the Romans do.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

wheeler wrote:
Well you know the old saying.... When in Rome do as the Romans do.
What? Throw Christians to the lions? :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool