*RANT* Sodding MOT and our roads *PART 2*

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

*RANT* Sodding MOT and our roads *PART 2*

Post by Harlequin »

1 year and 7 days after i changed the OSF lower arm , guess what the MOT has failed this year

`offside front lower suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint` or as it was politely put to me - that ball joint is totally (-expletive removed-).

1 year after it was changed for a new arm. you can watch the damn thing rocking around , which it wasnt doing 10 days ago..... all i can think off is the stupid f*ing pot hole i couldnt avoid, has broken it .
Last edited by Harlequin on 24 Nov 2012, 22:34, edited 2 times in total.
Simon
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: *RANT* Sodding MOT and our roads

Post by spider »

I have to go over a *lot* of those large square bumps, specifically two as there's no other way out and two of the full length humps.

On the 205 the front arms (being a TD it had the expensive GTi arms) would last around 18 months maximum. Genuine ones would last about 2 years compared to 18 months but were three time (yes really) the price so in that case it was not worth the cost of genuine as it would not last longer than a pattern compared to its relative cost.

The 106 (current vehicle) is now knocking from both lower arms a little bit too.

To make matters a bit worse, the local water authority dug one up about 4 years ago and when they put it back, its too big. It still is now and most people will slow down and if its safe use the middle one instead as tis the correct size.

I do sympathise with you although its debatable if they really do slow people down. I did drive over them at the full 30 mph in a shed MK2 Astra that I was taking to the scrap yard and it was actually a better ride not slowing down.

You could try contacting the council although I suspect they spend out more on compensation for damage than they do on the road repairs, which is their own fault as if they did repair the damage before it got to a *bad* stage it would save them money...

Trouble is your insurance may rise if you do claim against them, part of the reason I did not persue it when they dropped a wheelie bin and contents onto the 205. They denied it too initially but we had some witnesses so they were screwed to put it mildly. I heard them laugh at the time too as I heard all the noise but did not myself see it.

I did ask them when I called them later if their operatives were aware of the road traffic acts regarding not notifying of damage but I did not really get a response to that, only to send in documentation. I suspect as they are an operative they are not directly liable however it does not remove the fact said damages should be notified. I guess as it was not a vehicle causing damage its different, although I bet if I dropped a brick onto said employee's car (accidentally obviously I always walk around with some bricks lol) they would be the first to scream.

I'm ashamed to admit I thought about it too. :oops: although I would never of done that.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4

Post by Harlequin »

its just so *dang* annoying , was the last thing i suspected on the 806 - had a quiet ` tyres will need doing in the next 6 months , and the rear load sensor is sticking abit`

what was interesting though , a synergie was in there - same age , petrol , and it failed emissions - HC was at 3000ppm , and apparantly thelambda had been changed and it had been serviced! (that one baffleed me - had the cat gone)

anyhoo - lower arm bought for £30 for this ticket then its going for something smaller and/or diesel
Simon
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Was going to say the arms are not too expensive for the 806 / Experts. Quite easy to change too.

The 205 arms were about 40 odd each (a good pattern make) the 106 ones will be about the same maybe a bit less, although I steer clear of the real bargain basement arms as they won't really be worth fitting.

The HC could be something silly like a restricted (dirty usually) air filter or intake pipework (possibly restricted / collapsed internally) at a random guess but as its not yours then I guess they will have to post here if needed. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Harlequin
Donor 2023

Post by Harlequin »

prices are all over the place for 806 arms - euro wasnt £80 for lemforda parts :(
Simon
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Simon are you sure its not the same prob you had with the swivel pin not being tight in the hub,

also the HC high is usually down to an ignition fault or timing out,

i also would not go near E*C*P for parts especially suspension parts even if they are in branded packaging [-X [-X :roll:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Harlequin
Donor 2023

Post by Harlequin »

no its not - watched it up in the air - the pin isnt moving around , just up and down , whereas after i changed the hub it was lovely (and quiet) to drive.

nah this is broken and done so recently, highly annoying , but gladly the only thing picked up - change the arm and voila new ticket
Simon
Harlequin
Donor 2023

Re: *RANT* Sodding MOT and our roads *PART 2*

Post by Harlequin »

and so teh amazing saga continues ....

friday @ 10am , fitted new wishbone , a PITA because the holes didnt fully line up (thanks for that) , took and hour but finally got teh damn thing torqued up and off we wander for the retest....

voila it passes :D

saturday morning (22 hours after fitting), heading into eastbourne undercover drop off at the railway station , turning left goes up a slight ramp , as i go over the top of the ramp @ less than 10 mph slowing in second , car rolls slightly right then left ,a huge CRUNCH i hear and feel something breaking ....

and now the clattering is back.

now , since is chucking it down , i dont want to get wet - but , im guessing its teh ball joint failing on the brand new lower arm....or dare it be the hub ?
Simon