Citrojim's Saxo and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo »

I think most rigorous analysis of such matters, take into account that people spend more overall now than in times past (ie; savings are less) and we spend on more things. As the fat is spread thinner, fuel "feels" dearer.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by CitroJim »

A great day at the NEC Classic Car Show yesterday :-D It was great to see Chris's (Citroenmad) Activa on the CCC stand and to meet up with a few characters...

I travelled there courtesy of the Chris570 limousine service - otherwise known as his XM V6 and it was most pleasant relaxing (yes!) as a passenger in that fine car :-D

The show was good although a day is not really long enough to appreciate everything. I gravitated toward the tool stands as is my usual and came away with some goodies...

A new set of numberplates for the XM with Welsh dragons on them...

A set of everlasting drills - we'll see :roll:

And a small gas welding kit, something I've been toying with getting hold of for ages. It's rather good too and apart from small and delicate welding jobs it's great for brazing and warming up things that are otherwise reluctant to move :)

Deanxm

Re:

Post by Deanxm »

addo wrote:I think most rigorous analysis of such matters, take into account that people spend more overall now than in times past (ie; savings are less) and we spend on more things. As the fat is spread thinner, fuel "feels" dearer.
Yes i agree there, this consumer society has left us worse off.

D

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

CitroJim wrote:A great day at the NEC Classic Car Show yesterday :-D It was great to see Chris's (Citroenmad) Activa on the CCC stand and to meet up with a few characters...

I travelled there courtesy of the Chris570 limousine service - otherwise known as his XM V6 and it was most pleasant relaxing (yes!) as a passenger in that fine car :-D

The show was good although a day is not really long enough to appreciate everything. I gravitated toward the tool stands as is my usual and came away with some goodies...

A new set of numberplates for the XM with Welsh dragons on them...

A set of everlasting drills - we'll see :roll:

And a small gas welding kit, something I've been toying with getting hold of for ages. It's rather good too and apart from small and delicate welding jobs it's great for brazing and warming up things that are otherwise reluctant to move :)
Sounds like you had a good trip out Jim, i saw the pictures of the XM in another thread, she is looking smart now with her new plates.
Are everlasting drills like the everlasting gobstopper? or is it more a sky hooks / skirting board ladder kind of deal?

D

red_dwarfers
donor 2017

Post by red_dwarfers »

I saw the chap with the everlasting drill bits at the Bath and West classic car show thing a few weeks back. Must admit I was impressed. If they're better than normal drill bits they've got to be worth something. Isn't it something to do with the design in that they grind rather than cut?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I dunno Kev, not tried them yet, I'm worried I might break one :lol:

They look more like masonry drills to me as they have a (presumably very hard) tip welded into the shank. I fancy this is made of some exotically hard material and he said something about it being impossible to grind and if they do ever blunt he chucks in a special 'steel' with the deal to enable a new keen edge to be put on them.

Also in the deal was a drill attachment to allow you to drills holes around corners. That looks quite useful actually.

Once again I see the definition of everlasting is ten years as that's what the drills are actually guaranteed for. Same as a 4HP20 gearbox then :lol:

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Post by DickieG »

Funny how these wonder products are only ever sold by stall holders at shows and never in shops, what chance of contacting the supplier the next day never mind ten years down the line :lol:

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

They will never break sat on the shelf though Richard, using them could cause all hope to be lost.
On the other hand you never know till you try, i had a set of tungsten drills for work they dont last forever but they last muuch better than anything else.

D

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

I bought a set of Cobalt drills for work at great expense to the management (not that they will ever know) and the damned things last about two minutes then snap.
Also bought an expensive drill to get through an armoured door, nearly took my arm of when that snapped. Used works usual crap drills with far more success.

I have it on good authority that Würth drills are practically indestructible and work far better than the competition - if you can afford them.

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

myglaren wrote: I have it on good authority that Würth drills are practically indestructible and work far better than the competition - if you can afford them.
Well, they are Würth it ;)

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

I really enjoyed the NEC, there was so much to see!

Does your XM like its new plates Jim?

We also did a bit of spending at the trade stalls, the Xantias boot was full!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Citroenmad wrote: Does your XM like its new plates Jim?
Oh yes, It goes much better with the new plates Chris :lol:

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth »

It's amazing how a new set of number plates make a car look fresher.

Especially if the old ones are slightly scabby.

I replaced some on my XM and Range Rover not that long ago and it totally changed the look of the car.

David.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

DHallworth wrote:It's amazing how a new set of number plates make a car look fresher.
Especially ones with dragons on them :lol:

Good news today. I've been a bit vexed about having to SORN the V6 so out of interest I phoned around for some new insurance quotes for my XM and lookied particularly at classic policies. In the event Adrian Flux did a deal I couldn’t resist which means I can afford to keep insurance on all three cars and keep all three in regular use :-D

In other news, I'm back to work part-time but struggling :( Afternoons are more or less wiped out but apart from that I'm pleased to be at least partially back to gainful employment - I didn't realise just how much I missed my workmates and the lively banter. I was quite happy to miss the work though... I really don't like IT...

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

It's a pity they can't sort it out for you to provide remote support from home Jim