Two-Tier Road Tax

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Two-Tier Road Tax

Post by citroenxm »

Hence me holding onto one td xantia.. so if derv really does hit the roof i can then be forced into veggie in one remaining xantia td car left in my life..

ive currently got two to sell on and a sinker comming in.. but will be keeping one.. my original black td anti sinker on an L plate...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Xac wrote:
MTND wrote:
Gibbo2286 wrote:charging by the mile with senders in every car and trackers on every road and also the possibility of rationing road use
Easy and fair answer to all this, get rid of road tax and put extra tax on fuel! You only pay for the miles you go 8-[
Make a "red diesel" equivalent for HGV's and Buses to stop fueling deliveries/inflation?

Mark
Gets my vote :)
That's never going to happen, no chancellor from any party is going to give up the chance to have two bites of the cherry.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: That's never going to happen, no chancellor from any party is going to give up the chance to have two bites of the cherry.
Three bites. Don't forget fuel also attracts VAT :evil:

And anyway, putting all duty on fuel is just far too logical and sensible to ever be implemented :roll:

I'll bet they've already costed it and found they'll loose billions...

As they have already by giving tax breaks to low emission cars.

They could always stop the breaks now the body of evidence is allegedly turning away from CO2 as the cause of climate change. I believe there is a body of evidence gathering to suggest this is a purely natural cycle and nothing to do with how much CO2 mankind and his antics add to the atmosphere.

If they won't put it on fuel then charge every road user regardless of what is driven say, £100 a year. Simple for everybody and they might actually rake in more money by being reasonable for a change.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Ah, Jim, that's where you've made a mistake, thinking the Govt would ever be reasonable. They need to keep bleeding the citizens so they can pay for all their weird and wonderful schemes, most of which never seem to achieve any real solutions and are only ever implemented to keep some jumped up civil servant in a job. No I'm not biased. :x :x :x

A while back, I subscribed to this lot: http://www.fairfueluk.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Now I do not usually recommend a pressure group but Wisllon and his mob do seem to be getting notice with the politicos, so they must be aware that this group has touched a raw nerve in the UK tax payer and needs to be stymied to stop the rot. As they are apolitical, I'm sure that they do not contravene any of the rules herewith! :shock:

Recently, they did get the Govt to look at the increase in fuel duty and get the trainfare dodger to review and defer the increase until January. Phew!

I reckon the current scheme they are pushing, to have all the taxes shown on your forecourt receipt, will help many people see how they are being well and truly shafted, and without a raincoat or any jelly. :shock:

Its not just this current lot, the muppets on the other side are just the same, only a different colour. I think Joe Public has taken his eye off the ball for quite a few years and the mandarins behind the politicos know they have to come up with other schemes to keep the balls in the air. After all, they are loosing revenue from the beer and fags, so other schemes have to be found to prop up the status quo, and I donot mean the band! :roll:

This missive comes to you from the home of sedition - Sussex. "We will not be druv!"

Handyman
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

A few questions hopefully some can answer for me.

1. Is it true that about 90% of the energy used in a car's lifetime is used during its production ?

2. Back in the 80's (so well before I was motoring, I was too busy failing my exams but that's another story) I can vaguely remember some idea back then about killing the road tax and putting the price on fuel to stop (at the time) all the cars without road tax. Problem here now is, the way prices have increased the past five or so years especially, they *already* have put the price of the road tax onto fuel the way I see it.

3. Did the French have road tax but stopped it years ago due to it being too much trouble to collect ?
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Yes, Spider, you have raised a few interesting solutions, but we do not do radical or lateral thinking too well in this country. #-o

It would be too easy and transparent to resolve some of these conundrums with simple solutions, something that is anathema to the way we run this country. The more complex we think we can make it, the better it is to hide some sort of bureaucratic scam. [-X After all, now we send so many people on to academic higher education, we have to give them opportunity to exercise their new found intellect. :shock:

Nice to see this topic has finally found its correct home.The "Sale & Wants" section do get to be a bit long-winded when posters use it as a discussion forum, whereby it gets off topic. KISS

Handyman
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I've no idea why it was I the for sale/wanted section, I noticed it there earlier and moved it.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:I've no idea why it was I the for sale/wanted section, I noticed it there earlier and moved it.

Because I was a complete Muppet when I initially posted this topic :oops:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:
Xac wrote:I've no idea why it was I the for sale/wanted section, I noticed it there earlier and moved it.

Because I was a complete Muppet when I initially posted this topic :oops:
You'd never make it in politics Jim, you admitted to a mistake that you made without blaming someone else for it
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Chris570 wrote: You'd never make it in politics Jim, you admitted to a mistake that you made without blaming someone else for it
Exactly, such mistakes should always be blamed on the forum fairies

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:
Chris570 wrote: You'd never make it in politics Jim, you admitted to a mistake that you made without blaming someone else for it
Must have been them then. I could have sworn I was in French Car Chat when I hit New Topic :roll:
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote: Must have been them then. I could have sworn I was in French Car Chat when I hit New Topic :roll:
I could have sworn it was in FCC before, perhaps the forum fairies moved it into the for sale section?

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

CitroJim wrote:
Xac wrote:
Must have been them then. I could have sworn I was in French Car Chat when I hit New Topic :roll:
its whats commonly called a senior moment Mr Jim XIM
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Junkman
My Cars:

Post by Junkman »

Why? Just Why?

Why do I consistently have that funny feeling that I will end up poorer, while someone who is way too rich already will get a lot more?
1994 Peugeot 405 GTX 2.0 auto estate
1992 Citroen BX 19 TXD estate
Welshy_Pete
My Cars: 306 hdi 1999 + 306 hdi 2000

Post by Welshy_Pete »

There killing the country the roads are dead within a 50miles area were I live. There making things worse by stopping people going out or wanting to go out.

The cost of tax and fuel is shocking and they keep on with the excuses all the time.