Driving techniques

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Do you use the foot brake or hand brake at traffic lights on flat?

Poll ended at 20 Jul 2015, 22:37

Foot brake
11%
Hand brake
74%
Stopping at traffic lights? you'll get shot or worse for doing that around here!
15%

Total votes: 27

Sam KS
My Cars:

Driving techniques

Post by Sam KS »

Rather than continue a "Thread Jack" on another thread I taught I'd ask the question.

I have never heard of using the hand brake at lights as best practice. Taking out of gear in a manual but not an auto. But we do learn to drive differently here and have different road rules that take some time for Pomgolians to get used to when moving over here. That said the same things frustrate me when in Blighty..... But over all your drivers are more civil to each other. You'd never have some one let you in the tragic if you where driving in Sydney.
Citroën Xantia 75th Anniversary Limited Edition
Northern_Mike

Re: Driving techniques

Post by Northern_Mike »

I always use the handbrake. The glare from brake lights at night hurts my eyes, so I presume others suffer from it too.

I was taught by both my original driving instructor 23 years ago to put the handbrake on. I was also told to do this on both the defensive driving courses I've been on (company paid for both before we were let loose in company cars). As well as the brake light issue, apparently, if you have your foot on the brake and get hit from behind, your foot is going to come off the brake and you'll just shoot out into whatever junction you are stopped at and might get hit by crossing traffic. Whether your handbrake will hold you, or at least stop you after the initial collision is open to debate...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Handbrake - lazy driving using footbrake as far as I'm concerned.
I use the handbrake still when I drive an auto as I always use N not P.
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When I was learning to drive my instructor said it was good practise to use the handbrake if I was going to stop for more than a few seconds (he suggested 5 seconds). My cousin also suggested that when she stopped she left enough room to see the car in fronts' tyres where they contacted the road, to leave room for pedestrians. I tend not to do this in traffic jams, otherwise I find other drivers forcing their way in.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: My cousin also suggested that when she stopped she left enough room to see the car in fronts' tyres where they contacted the road, to leave room for pedestrians.
My instructor also said this - "make sure you can see Tyres and tarmac" was the exact phrase he used.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

When i did my class 2 the instructor said to leave enough gap from the vehicle in front in traffic, islands, lights etc in case they breakdown or get stuck so you can pull around them.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

andmcit wrote:Handbrake - lazy driving using footbrake as far as I'm concerned.
I use the handbrake still when I drive an auto as I always use N not P.
Same here. Brake lights dazzle.

I guess in an XM you use the 'other' footbrake when standing at lights Andrew :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Ah well, then with an Xm this is a trick question!
In principle my earlier answer still stands though,
even where my left foot is applying the handbrake!
Felt a bit silly automatically lifting my left knee to
apply the foot/handbrake that wasn't there in my
Xantia the other day mind after a long period of
Xm'ing! :lol:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

andmcit wrote: Felt a bit silly automatically lifting my left knee to
apply the foot/handbrake that wasn't there in my
Xantia the other day mind after a long period of
Xm'ing! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I know the feeling :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've caught myself trying to column shift the lighting stalk a few times, mostly when a bit tired.

Always handbrake and "N" here; like to leave a gap for escape, too.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:I've caught myself trying to column shift the lighting stalk a few times, mostly when a bit tired.
:lol: Now that's excellent. Saw a column change on the telly tonight in an old Ford Zeypher. A very under-rated method of changing gear in my opinion. I'd love a column change again...
Jim

Northern_Mike

Re: Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
addo wrote:I've caught myself trying to column shift the lighting stalk a few times, mostly when a bit tired.
:lol: Now that's excellent. Saw a column change on the telly tonight in an old Ford Zeypher. A very under-rated method of changing gear in my opinion. I'd love a column change again...
<rubs crystal ball>

I see a DS in your future..
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Re:

Post by CitroJim »

Rattiva_Mike wrote: <rubs crystal ball>

I see a DS in your future..
Now that's what I like to hear Mike :-D I guess I'll have to progress to one via a CX first though... I've started by getting into XMs :wink:
Jim

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Then a GS and 2CV for the full set!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

andmcit wrote:Then a GS and 2CV for the full set!
And an H Van 8-)
Jim