Nissan 'reinvents' DIRAVI!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Nissan 'reinvents' DIRAVI!

Post by CitroJim »

Another article to show there's nothing new in the automotive world or that Citroen did it years ago :roll:

Nissan Steer-By-Wire car

I hear they're currently working on a revolutionary new suspension system using pressurised nitrogen and oil...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Nissan 'reinvents' DIRAVI!

Post by Xaccers »

Initially it will have a clutch operated backup but they want to eventually ditch that.
Imagine having no feedback from the road.
No thanks.
Imagine wheel alignment being off or an unbalanced wheel, but no vibration through the steering wheel to let you know.
Or once they've ditched the mechanical backup, having an electrical failure on the motorway?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: Imagine having no feedback from the road.
No need to imagine, just take a Nissan Pixo for a short drive :evil: Nissan have already mastered the 'no feedback' bit very successfully :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

probably turn out to be like Merc's automatic braking when your to close to the car in front :roll: :wink:

it'll take you were the car wants to go :shock: :? :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

I recall an Top Gear episode where the likes of Hammond or Clarkson praised a car for having headlights that peeked the corner for you, where May rightly pointed out that Citroen did it years ago.

So what sort of benefits would an electronic steer-by-wire system have? It'll be bleedin' expensive, heavy, a particularly horrible point of failure and would make crappy cars feel even more vague and unresponsive to drive than they already are! I'm sure for safety's sake there'd have to be a mechanical linkage anyway just in case...

"Nissan said that users would benefit from an improved driving experience since their intentions would be transmitted to the wheels faster than by using a hydraulic and mechanical system."
I find that very hard to believe, how can a direct linkage between driver and wheels be slower to respond than a sensor that talks to an ECU that talks to a motor that moves the wheels?

I considered applying for a job at Nissan earlier this year, but decided against it when I asked myself the question "how can I possibly write a truthful covering letter to a company I think is making mostly utter garbage?"

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Spaces
Location: Rarely in one place for too long - Hebridean Islands and Yorkshire are my favourites
My Cars:

Post by Spaces »

Ultimately cheaper, if they can do without mechanical backup. Diravi for me every time, partly because it comes with a totally superior machine built around it.
PeterN: "Honest John's forum put the last nail in the coffin of owning a 2000- car. Many were still servicable, but CR, DMFs and needing fault codes read because your horn doesn't work - no thanks. All my life I have generally understood cars - until now."
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i belive all these electronically controled device's are going towards the authorities/plod being able to take control remotely of any car they want to stop :shock: :eye:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years