Did new diesel car owners see this?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Did new diesel car owners see this?

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

It may be helpful to some that haven't seen it .

a watchdog report on Diesel Particulate Filters fitted to all new diesel cars.

What to do when the warnning light comes on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/201 ... lters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Re: Did new diesel car owners see this?

Post by Chlorate »

When I saw this on telly a while back I did wonder why this was such a problem...surely the owner's manual would cover this :roll:
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
cc101

Post by cc101 »

I remember doing a forced regeneration on a 407 using Peugeot Planet, had to be done out side, the thing was literally glowing red with sparks coming out of the exhaust! I think Peugeot have now banned this method of forced regens. Cleaning it with a pressure washer always did a good job.

Chris
Xantia 1.9 TD 1993 (sinker)
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Another stupid 'improvement' to modern cars!

They recommend a Fiat 500 diesel not to be used as a city car as the DPF will block. So what on earth do you use a Fiat 500 for if it is not city use? You certainly dont buy one as a motorway mile muncher.

Most C5s have them, I would love to know why ...

The 2.0HDi 110 8v C5 does not have a FAP filter but the 2.0HDi 136 16v does. So why does the 16v demand a higher road tax due to higher emissions? I pay more for roax tax with my C5 16V than our eldest 110 8v C5 costs. Yet my 16v does 5mpg more than the 8v and has a DPF, which will at some point cost money to maintain.

I see no reason in this, same as I see no reason in the stupid dual mass flywheels. Yes they allow the vibrations from the engine to be absorbed by the flywheel and so give a quieter engine. However, again, the 110 8v HDi and the 138 16v HDi, my Xantia 110 does without a DMF, my C5 has one and has already cost me £700 to replace. The C5s engine is nice and smooth but so is the Xantias, no more vibrations are felt due to it not having this costly designed to fail component.

People must get paid to invent useless technologies which will end up costing owners a fortune. Or maybe that is their plan, to have cars on the road for fewer years. Few people are going to replace a DMF or DPF on a car which is worth sub £1000.

Its about time the motor engineers went back to basics! :twisted:

Rant over!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
C5Alan
My Cars:

Post by C5Alan »

People must get paid to invent useless technologies which will end up costing owners a fortune. Or maybe that is their plan, to have cars on the road for fewer years.

I have long believed this they build in a shortened life span of expensive parts so you have to replace more often. I did once hear henry ford sent engineers round the scrap yards to find what parts had not failed and so made them to a lower spec which is fair enough why build something to out live the car but I think this has been taken to the extreme in that parts are designed to fail to kill the car once out of warrant. It's all about money they make more selling new cars than they do parts for older cars another reason for so much computer based systems most small garages can't fix your car so back to the dealers more money for them

Sorry for starting a new cars are pants rant
2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110hp Exclusive only done 218,000miles so just about run in. Family owned from new. Now Sold

2002 Renault Scenic 1.9Dci 111,000miles the new work bus
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I'd rather have an IDI unit anyday to be honest.

You have to bear in mind I think, if you're talking multiplexing (which does help yes but can cause more problems with elderly cars than preplexed ones) and particulate filters usually may well outlast the warranty period. Little things too such as the deletion of external (petrol) fuel filters on some models too.

I do still wonder if this is to reduce the CPM (cost per mile) which is what the larger fleet buyers ultimately look at as the DPF will outlast the warranty given fleet cars usually travel distance not around towns.

Not a dig in any way just my initial thoughts.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The trouble with all the complainers of this technology is that they never RTFM..I had a customer who'd had his car for four years but complained bitterly that the screen frosted up, he couldn't work the heater because he'd never found out which knobs to turn.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Gibbo2286 wrote:The trouble with all the complainers of this technology is that they never RTFM..I had a customer who'd had his car for four years but complained bitterly that the screen frosted up, he couldn't work the heater because he'd never found out which knobs to turn.
User error then in that case, if they wanted a flashly electronic climate control they should of been willing to spend 10 - 15 minutes with the handbook or otherwise working it out. They are not that complicated though really I think. Would probably take a few minutes max to explain to someone with them in the car how to use it ? :) I do understand what you mean though. :)

I was *there* when the first generation of plexed cars appeared, so I do speak with a little bit of experience even though I was not directly involved with their maintenance given they were too new for where I was.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
RobinMasters

Post by RobinMasters »

RTFM :-D =D>

Worked that one out for myself, within a minute or so. After buying a part for a bicycle it tooks me days to work out what they meant when they told me it needed to be done up 'FT'. And no, it doesn't mean 'finger tight'.
Gibbo2286 wrote:The trouble with all the complainers of this technology is that they never RTFM..I had a customer who'd had his car for four years but complained bitterly that the screen frosted up, he couldn't work the heater because he'd never found out which knobs to turn.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's a shame forums were not in existence 20 or so years ago. I'm just wondering if similar discussions would have gone on over the advanced technology found in say, the XM. Digital climate, Hydractive, ABS, catalytic converters and so on and so forth. I can just see BX and GS owners saying much the same as is being said here and now...

We'll never know but the great advances of the early 90s we now see as pretty good really and not in the least scary. I wonder if in twenty years time the same attitude will apply to the marvels of today when we're discussing the latest and greatest against our classic C6s and pining for the simple and straightforward stuff found in the C6...

Having said that, a twenty year old XM with all the toys is still pretty advanced, even by today's standards... Gawd only knows what the perception was when it was first released - I'd love to know...

And what was the reaction to the 4HP20 - arguably the first mass-market auto-adaptive automatic? Even when I first started playing around with them they were seen as a bit of black magic. I hope I've dispelled that myth :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I really hope we are not looking back in 20 years time, pining for the DMF and DPF as an alternative to the modern technology. Which by then will most likely be as complicated as an electric motor and a length of flex :twisted: A car would have to be pretty poor for us to want our current 'technologies', in my opinion.

It is all about financial gain, encouraged by the brain washing ideas that modern cars are more environmentally friendly and by inviting a throw away society. What a load of old rubbish! Do they not know how much energy, waste and pollution is involved in making a new car, let alone recycle an old one? Of course they do! Keep the old ones going for longer and we will have less pollution, less need for energy and less waste, while enjoying better cars! :lol:

In my opinion there should be a limit to how many new cars are made each year. It really appears out of control, there needs to be a cap on it. But that would never work, as the car industry is worth too much money and has too many jobs within it.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

20 years from now it'll probably be a case of non-removable tyres where you have to buy a new car when they wear out.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Xac wrote:20 years from now it'll probably be a case of non-removable tyres where you have to buy a new car when they wear out.
Yep, it wouldn't surprise me. #-o
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Surely we will all have flying cars that never wear out by then :roll:
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

myglaren wrote:Surely we will all have flying cars that never wear out by then :roll:
:lol: Good point Steve!

I think if history was anything to go by, we would be driving flying cars by now, the things people would have us believe :lol:

Can you imagine the mess if we had flying cars, you only need to watch how some people drive cars to know that would never work :roll:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10