Xantia HDI - Cruise and Trip Computer

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

citroenxm

Xantia HDI - Cruise and Trip Computer

Post by citroenxm »

Hi..

Following on from the massive topic about cruise and trip computer in Xantia HDi's, Id thought Id make a blog of it as I go..

FIRSTLY and most importantly, this is NOT my discovery... The information was supplied to me by PIT, a fellow Bulgarian FCF member, and thanks goto him in a big way. Im a big fan of Cruise and trip computers.

I made a start tonight, as the trip computer and cruise together need to link around 5 wires alltogether to the ECU, I threaded a 7 core multi flex wire trough from the drivers foot well, into the front door piller, then as advised by PIT, removed the drivers wheel arch liner, and popped out a Gromet just under the sunroof drain outlet. I also popped the door to car harness gromet to gain access into the front pillar. I had to make a new hole to allow me to get the cable into the pillar, then with my fingers guided the cable through and out the hole exposed by the grommet behind the arch liner...

Then I pulled the cable though and along the line of the main car harness, and made a new hole just behind the ECU box for the cable to come through and fed it into the ECU box.

I didnt take any pics of this section as I didnt think about dooing a full start to finish blog on it. Yet again, the idea of taking the cable trough the pillar and behind the wing was PIT's idea. A damm good one too...

So thats tonights first step.

:)
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Xantia HDI - Cruise and Trip Computer

Post by CitroJim »

Watching with great interest Paul :)

Especially after seeing one in action on Chris's XM...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

You will be pleased to know that the XM Prestige has a fully working trip computer :-D And Cruise :lol:

It might well have been you I was talking to about this ... however, I have a thing called a ScanguageII. It plugs in the OBD port and gives MPG readings, average and instant. It also tells you things like coolant temperature, air intake temperature, throttle position, an accurate mph reading and so on. A friend has one of these in his car, he has mounted it into a dash panel and it really looks the part. No doubt your wanting the proper OEM spec trip computer, but this is a very easy option.

I think what you need Paul is a 2.0HDi 110 C5 :lol: They dont have a sunroof or hydractive 3+ suspension but they do have a trip computer and cruise is a very easy thing to fit. Sounds about right for you! You can even fit electric leather with very little effort.

Credit to you for trying these two additions though, it certainly is two items which should have been standard on the Exclusive Xantias.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Unforunally the c5 doesnt do it for me anymore... the mrs doesnt like them either at all... so the c5 is a no for us..

im not overly impressed with all the work i had to do on a customers.. has really put me off a bit. id be wondering.. oooerrr what am i gonna have to fix next.. and i cant have a car that behaves like that..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Citroenmad wrote:You will be pleased to know that the XM Prestige has a fully working trip computer :-D And Cruise :lol:
On the XM, what functions does the trip computer have?
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Neither can I Paul but ours have all been very faithful C5s and all three do a decent annual mileage. The lowest does 12K a year and is relied upon every day, I only do reliable cars! You do get a rogue few though, my middle C5 was a pain, which is why I replaced it :lol:

It has average and instant MPG, miles till empty, outside temperature and possibly average speed ... Id have to go look :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Post by red_dwarfers »

Sounds about right Chris :)
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

My xantia now has a working trip computer now too...

I firstly had to dismantle the dash.. radio out, clock and buttons centre trim out..and clocks out
Car looks like a bomb site.. but all connections made from inside the car bar the ecu one. but the 7 core cable i threaded through made its first purpose...

I made all the connections that PIT had listed and hey presto...

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Excellent work Paul :-D
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Post by DickieG »

Paul, where do you intend to mount the trip computer? I'd fit this provided it didn't end up looking like a Heath Robinson add on.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Hi Richard...

Ummm. Dont know. Not thought about that bit. PIT has his placed IN the Ash Tray, he must have cut the front of the tray out to take the display... I use mine as a "Parking Ticket" coin holder.. Might just leave it loose in the "Odments Tray"...

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote:Might just leave it loose in the "Odments Tray"...
You can't do that Paul :twisted: There must be somewhere good to mount it where it looks the part...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)

Post by red_dwarfers »

Maybe in true Citroen fashion you could mount it in the boot or maybe in the engine bay fusebox? :lol:

Could those buttons behind the wiper stalk be moved down to the second row which was fitted to some cars (An early series one high spec thing?) and the trip computer be mounted on that higher row?

What should come up in the left hand part of the screen?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Not enough room Kev, Ive an exclusive, which has Ultra sonics cancel button, hydractive and rear windows cut off all on that side. I thought about the opposite side earlyer inplace of the traffic master switch, but it sits slightly too high for the trim to go back, then theres the issue of shutting up the woman when she speaks....

I then thought about the clock area inplace of the original clock. I was happy to cut up my "False Wood" trim as I have a spare wood effect trim.. but its not looking good..

The Left side of the display stays blank, this is because it has the 406 Radio display in it.. which is no good for the Xantia. In reality the display is too big for its need as it only displays Temp (when connected to a sensor) and the trip computer.

It will have to stay in the odments for now...

I thought about making a dash moulding to house it and blend it into the top of the dash above the vents... If I bugger that up Ive got a couple of S2 dash's... prehaps a chance then to do the heater matrix... though it still doesn't need dooing!

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

A little bit more done last week... I found a 1997/8 indicator stalk.. this the same as S2 but with the horn on it..

S2 cars litterally do not have any wires going to the plug on the back of the stalk in the main harness, so it was easy to spot which two were for the horn..

So a quick rummage in the shed and I found another plug that had been removed from an old harness.. this had two connectors with wire already on, so out of the old plug they came - working in harness making comes in sooo handy with this sort of stuff - and into the plug on the car...

The green wires being the two added... Then one wire was simply wrapped to an earth point, the other to the Reset/Scroll wire on the display... now, simply pressing the "Horn" changes the display through the cycle...

Trip computer is all in and done, however, Ive no home for it, so it still sits in my odments tray..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto