Speed Traps

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The greatest improvements in the last 35 years by far have been in the areas of vehicle engineering and performance. In 1965, the average top speed of cars listed in Autocar's summary of road test results5 (excluding rare and expensive exotica, few examples of which would be seen on the roads) was 89 mph. Even this figure is on the high side, as the vehicle fleet would contain proportionately more average family cars with performance in the lower part of the range. A more realistic value for the average top speed of cars on the road at that time, therefore, is likely to be around 85 mph. Consequently, the 70 mph speed limit represented about 82% of the maximum speed of cars in 1965.
In 2001, the average top speed of cars listed in Autocar6, excluding exotica, is 122 mph. Again, taking into account the proportion of more mainstream cars in the overall vehicle fleet, a more accurate figure is likely to be around 116 mph. At this figure, the unchanged 70 mph speed limit represents just 60% of the maximum speed of ordinary cars in 2001.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
A little reading for you.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Anti social behavior is becoming a major problem in every aspect of our society, and anti social people drive cars... Its not a road related problem.. Speed limits wont alter that... :-(
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

But the extra stress imposed on ordinary people by the for-profit speed cameras (and soon, box-junction entrapment as well), and a whole mess of other laws on damn-near everything almost all nowadays very badly drafted and thought out, but all constantly threatening....
all intrusive, all pervasive, all basically for power and profit....
These things do affect safety and tend to force otherwise reasonable people into a somewhat frazzled state.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

See what you started Rabenson!![:D][}:)][:o)][:(!]
Any more thoughts??
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

I'll bet RABenson is chuckling like mad now [:D][:D] amd not regretting starting the thread at all!
James, I agree with you. You have hit the nail on the head, and no-one in high places seems to have either seen this, or offered a solution. Mine (psycho tests) might get half of the cabinet off the road!! (including JP's Jags?)
Forth - sorry - disagree. You are effectively saying that all this aggression and stuff can be blamed on the law? Not on peoples' inability to control their emotions, and the fact that an ancient custom called 'good manners' has become virtually extinct?
Apologies if my views make people 'stressed' (euphemism!) but they are just my views - nothing else, so if you get too stressed, don't drive.[;)] I am not qualified to say whether they are right or not. And that is just in the context of cars - I have made quite a few other sacred cows into beefburgers [}:)] but we won't go there.
Homer - I'll buy you a pint one day when I am at Springfield[:)]
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

What I mean is that society, the population as a whole are (largely thanks to government, directly or in side-effect) ever more screwed up and stressed out... and that will inevitably overlap into their driving and their reactions to things.
As for knocking people out of it coz they've been stressed... sure, let the control-freaking sods who impose the stress win, just like they want -- let them take over everything for their own benefit and carve the rest? No way.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Btw, I am just about as polite and non-aggressive as you could find.
well, right up to untill some s.o.b. tries leaning too far, that is.
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
As for knocking people out of it coz they've been stressed... sure, let the control-freaking sods who impose the stress win, just like they want -- let them take over everything for their own benefit and carve the rest? No way.
Agreed, Forth, except that they have already won by stressing you - resist them! [}:)]
I still maintain that there are people with short fuses that should not be in charge of a ton of metal, and that in some cases, this is due to an underlying personality thing that cannot be cured; others may probably just need one of those anger management thingies. But, hey, what do I know - I'm a software designer, not a shrink [:D]
Desperate problems require desperate measures; if such measures save one life, methinks they are worth it, but I guarantee I will not throw my teddy out of my pram if you disagree!
BTW, does 'Forth' originate from the river or the computer language?
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Mike
I think testosterone has a lot to do with it as does some peoples competitive nature.
As to some people being unfit mentally to be in control of a car unfortunately you are correct, in fact I'd go one stage further and say that a large portion of the general population should not be free to walk around.
Anyway what type of software do you develop and on what platforms ?
Mark
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

"Forth" as in the river.
sheer laziness - quick to type and easy to remember!
(wish I could say the same of these impending pin/keypad numbers for using bank card at the shops... flipping daft when you think on it... oh look-see everyone, here's me keying it in now... and Bling Lyden probbly pays for his cigs and paper in cash anyhow)
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

"a large portion of the general population should not be free to walk around"
true, and
sadly, most of those in government really do fall into that category
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi Mark
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Anyway what type of software do you develop and on what platforms ?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Nowt exciting - databases - either SQL Server or Access, with front-ends in either Access or VB.NET, running on Windoze 9x, 2000, NT or Windows for Teletubbies (XP) [:)]
Have a peek at www.wsoxley.co.uk - that's us (note: must finish web site!)
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">"a large portion of the general population should not be free to walk around"
true, and
sadly, most of those in government really do fall into that category
A supply of eggs and tomatoes should control them a bit - they are our servants, after all. [}:)]
Walking around doesn't seem to give them any idea about what the general public are like, or do, or want [:(]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Why do Citroens attract software developers (I use assembler for designing all my projects with PIC chips so I almost qualify)? Most of the afflicted I know are either in IT or are trons/ retired trons. Is it because we are not fazed by complexity, being logical finkers, or is it just that the money's no good?
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

Don't really know the answer to that one Tom, maybe something to do with being able to handle electrical stuff - since it's obvious that the Citroen design/manufacturing teams haven't got a clue[}:)].
Yes, I'm another one[8D] - but I've now gone back to the low-level stuff, wires and all 'cos Windoze is boring after a while[|)]. Completely off topic, I know - but Tom, have you got any experience of the dsPIC MCUs?
Stu.